Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Have you ever heard of this nonsense??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 PM
djcadillac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever heard of this nonsense??

I was supposed to go pickup my Z from a dealership this Saturday. I already had my own financing approved and ready to seal the deal. The dealership contacts me and says they have to finance me through their dealership and is now refusing to take my money?? Wtf. I have refused to run another credit report and am adamant on using my own financing. It looks like there will be no car, which highly upsets me.

Is it even legal for them to demand financing through their dealership? I have never heard of such nonsense.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cash or check from another bank is money..
I cant imagine how they can force you to use their bank.. I mean unless the interest rate is fantastic and you get something out of it, sounds like BS.
Hell, I'd call a lawyer anyway on that one if you want it that bad..
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuperchargedStroker
Cash or check from another bank is money..
I cant imagine how they can force you to use their bank.. I mean unless the interest rate is fantastic and you get something out of it, sounds like BS.
Hell, I'd call a lawyer anyway on that one if you want it that bad..
I cant see how they can force me to run my financing through them either. I have thought about calling a lawyer but is it really worth the hassle? Its the end of summer here and I can wait till next if I really have to. I feel this is total BS even when Bank of America called them directly today and they refused Bank of America. I was curious if anyone else ever ran into this issue.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

They get a kick back on the financing more profit that's all it is money grab.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

lol, they just want to make the extra money.. tell them so long you lost my business and go to another dealership.. thats bs
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Odd predicament. I'd be curious to know if this is a mainline dealer (like GM, for example) or some private lot. In any case, offhand I'd say to contact your state attorney general office via telephone... if they can't offer any info, they can probably direct you to the state or local agency that can. The dealer may be running a scam (folklore is that they get a kickback on in-house or dealer-referred financing) which may be illegal.

Many years ago I had trouble with a car insurance outfit, the state insurance commissioner's office straightened them out real quick. Some times the gov't can help (especially if it is a regulated business).
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Odd predicament. I'd be curious to know if this is a mainline dealer (like GM, for example) or some private lot. In any case, offhand I'd say to contact your state attorney general office via telephone... if they can't offer any info, they can probably direct you to the state or local agency that can. The dealer may be running a scam (folklore is that they get a kickback on in-house or dealer-referred financing) which may be illegal.
This is from a very high end porsche dealer in Pennsylvania. The Bank told me they have ran into this issue before and its very rare. The only way they would allow me to use my financing is to bring in the check and wait up to 3 weeks for it to clear. It is such bs!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

If you can wait until next year, surely you can wait 3 weeks if you want it bad enough.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 PM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheDingo
If you can wait until next year, surely you can wait 3 weeks if you want it bad enough.
Its just the principle of it all. This financial schmuck wants his cut and knows I want the car. I am impatient as it is and expect the car when I go to pay. I do not want to wait another 3 weeks for no reason. He is just doing this so I will go through with his financing because he knows I want the car, and also to get his money.

I know he is full of **** and I am not going to give him his way even if I want the car badly! There will always be another. In the end, its just a car. I would rather walk away with my pride than give this schmuck a nickel!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM
wolf8218
Drifting

Walk.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Walk away. Seriously. That's B.S. I'd report them to the BBB.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by EViL427
I have told them, this deal is on my terms or we have no deal. Looks like I will be walking. I will know for sure tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djcadillac
This is from a very high end porsche dealer in Pennsylvania. The Bank told me they have ran into this issue before and its very rare. The only way they would allow me to use my financing is to bring in the check and wait up to 3 weeks for it to clear. It is such bs!
There are federal laws against kiting checks (holding them for excessive clear periods), but there are some loopholes (depending on amount, IIRC). I'd still run it by your state attorney general. In situations like this, even if the deal is dead I still try to inflict discomfort upon the offending party. Phone calls from the state enforcement officials generally inflict discomfort upon used car dealers.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EViL427
Forget the BBB... get a state regulatory agency interested in them. That is much more of a colonoscopy experience
Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 PM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just tell them you're going somewhere else if they want to play that game.

Originally Posted by djcadillac
I was supposed to go pickup my Z from a dealership this Saturday. I already had my own financing approved and ready to seal the deal. The dealership contacts me and says they have to finance me through their dealership and is now refusing to take my money?? Wtf. I have refused to run another credit report and am adamant on using my own financing. It looks like there will be no car, which highly upsets me.

Is it even legal for them to demand financing through their dealership? I have never heard of such nonsense.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell them you will finance through them if they have zero percent financing for however long you planned to finance.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...or tell them you'll finance through them if they reduce the price of the deal by the total extra finance costs you would incur...

Get notified of new replies

To Have you ever heard of this nonsense??

Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Bounce...high end dealer my a**. They're shady just like the rest of them. Three weeks for a cashiers check to clear? Ridiculous. Go find another car...they're out there. You just need to be patient. I've never seen a car that I can't live without...
Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Tell them to pound it and walk...
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM
djcadillac
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Bounce...high end dealer my a**. They're shady just like the rest of them. Three weeks for a cashiers check to clear? Ridiculous. Go find another car...they're out there. You just need to be patient. I've never seen a car that I can't live without...
I'm cool with walking. However, it was a long time before I found this car. There are not many for sale in my area. I do not like buying without being able to physically see and drive the car. Seems like I have no choice but to hold my ground, which I have. Problem is, the search continues.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Have you ever heard of this nonsense??