Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help- Valvetrain Advice RHS Pro Elite LS7 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help- Valvetrain Advice RHS Pro Elite LS7 Heads

Hey folks. My car is currently in the shop for a H/C swap. We had originally planned on using a set of PRC 265 heads with ti intake and SS solid exhaust valves. Regrettably, it looks like Texas Speed / PRC is backed out 5-6 weeks on the heads...I need my car back before winter and don't want to wait a couple of months

SO- the builder said he can get a set of RHS Pro Elite heads which he has heard great things about in just a few days. They will be more expensive than the PRCs but at this point I'm okay with it, and they appear to be a high quality piece. The basic build specs are:

Katech Torquer 220/244 .615/.648 116 cam
Comp pushrods
Comp trunion upgrade
Ported Stock LS7 intake
Headers

The PRCs come with COMP 26926-16 springs (up to .675" lift) and COMP 779-16 titanium retainers. The Comp springs have a spring rate of 505lbs-in, and seat pressure at 129lbs.

The head options are with Manley lightweight hollow stem stainless intake valves and severe duty solid stainless exhaust valves (3,680.00)
or
with Manley lightweight titanium intake valves and Inconel exhaust valves (4,680.00)

I want to keep the budget as low as possible, but also want advice on what a good combo would be with the Katech 116 cam to limit float / bounce. The car is a weekend cruiser, and occasional 1/4 mile junkie.

Any advice on the combination to go with here? Thanks for the help folks your knowledge is always appreciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Despicable Z
Hey folks. My car is currently in the shop for a H/C swap. We had originally planned on using a set of PRC 265 heads with ti intake and SS solid exhaust valves. Regrettably, it looks like Texas Speed / PRC is backed out 5-6 weeks on the heads...I need my car back before winter and don't want to wait a couple of months

SO- the builder said he can get a set of RHS Pro Elite heads which he has heard great things about in just a few days. They will be more expensive than the PRCs but at this point I'm okay with it, and they appear to be a high quality piece. The basic build specs are:

Katech Torquer 220/244 .615/.648 116 cam
Comp pushrods
Comp trunion upgrade
Ported Stock LS7 intake
Headers

The PRCs come with COMP 26926-16 springs (up to .675" lift) and COMP 779-16 titanium retainers. The Comp springs have a spring rate of 505lbs-in, and seat pressure at 129lbs.

The head options are with Manley lightweight hollow stem stainless intake valves and severe duty solid stainless exhaust valves (3,680.00)
or
with Manley lightweight titanium intake valves and Inconel exhaust valves (4,680.00)

I want to keep the budget as low as possible, but also want advice on what a good combo would be with the Katech 116 cam to limit float / bounce. The car is a weekend cruiser, and occasional 1/4 mile junkie.

Any advice on the combination to go with here? Thanks for the help folks your knowledge is always appreciated.
If the valve bounce talk has you spooked, then that leaves either the stock exhaust valves or titanium exhaust valves with the cam you mention.

You mention a "budget" so looks like new titanium exhaust valves and new Ti/mo coated intake valves are out.

That leaves you running the stock valves with that cam.

Just check the guides in your current heads. If they're ok, then decide whether you just want to save money and stick with your current heads like they are for your new build, if you're comfortable with that.

If yours are current out of spec, and you're still worried about valve bounce should you change to any other valves besides the stock exhaust valves, or titanium, then you could just order up a new set of stock heads, or buy a set of stock take off heads with guides which were in spec.

But if the talk of valve bounce has you concerned, then you may as well stick with your current stock heads, as is, if the guides are in spec.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget about the hollow stemmed units available from ferrea
Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks folks! Keep it coming!

Has anyone heard about similar hollow / lightened SS valves from Manley? Wasn't aware they made such valves but the builder has recommended them for this build.

Get notified of new replies

To Help- Valvetrain Advice RHS Pro Elite LS7 Heads

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help- Valvetrain Advice RHS Pro Elite LS7 Heads