Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PCM Replacement (long story)

Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM
mojovious
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PCM Replacement (long story)

I've had my 08 Z06 since new and it's always run well. I've just hit 14k miles. Having no reference point from C6 Z06 experience perspective when I bought it, at least I thought it ran well. It was plenty fast and seemingly was perfect. At about 4k in 2009 it threw a P0207 code - circuit fault injector 7. After detailed diagnosis (checking the harness, grounds, circuits, all connections, etc.) the GM tech (this guy is good by the way, very good) determined it was the injector. He had never seen an injector go bad like that - interesting. There was no indication the issue could be otherwise. After replacing the injector it seemed great again. Fast forward to two weeks ago and 10k miles later - the same symptom surfaced - after driving a bit and sitting, upon starting it would miss on a cylinder and throw a code. After idling for a moment it would clear up. It did this for several days, somewhat intermittently (one day it would act up and the next it might not). When I checked the code it was the same P0207 injector 7 circuit fault. This time I inspected the harness and grounds and connections and also switched the coil and wire from #7 to other cylinders so if another cylinder threw a code it would help isolate the culprit. It continued to throw the #7 code intermittently, so I took it in. I started to do the plugs but decided to take it in instead. This time they decided to replace the PCM - brain transplant. It's never been tuned by the way - just a corsa full catback and a Halltech intake. The reason I posted this (sorry for the long story) is because after getting the Z back with a new PCM all I can say is wow - it is a completely different car - as if I traded in and picked up a new one. It is so different (in a better way). Even the shift points and clutch feel different. 6th no longer feels like it's bogging at 70 mph. The throttle response is - not sure if this is the right way to explain it but - linear, predictable and strong in any gear at any rpm. Although we don't drive these awesome 427's for mpg - the mileage and range of my Z has increased significantly. The car just feels much more solid from an engine performance standpoint. I know the car well and based on the difference with the new PCM I can't help but wonder if the original PCM may have always had some sort of weird issue but didn't know because it wasn't enough to throw a code. Perhaps if I had decided to tune it the issue may have been detected, not sure. I've always loved the Z06 and didn't know what I was missing - it's completely awesome now. The tech did tell me that there have been a ton of software releases and updates that are in the new PCM that were not in the old one. Hopefully I won't see any more P0207 codes (or any codes for that matter). The work was covered 100% under warranty by the way.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like your PCM has a newer (and better) calibration than the original.

I wonder how many calibration updates have been released by GM for the Z06 PCM since '08?

U.M.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

That's great! Almost like getting a new car
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP, very good information and an even better outcome, for you !

thx for sharing
Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
Sounds like your PCM has a newer (and better) calibration than the original.

I wonder how many calibration updates have been released by GM for the Z06 PCM since '08?

U.M.
I know of one from 09 to late 2012. My car was throwing a O2 sensor low efficiency code in late '12. Took it in and they did a PCM update to resolve it.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Get notified of new replies

To PCM Replacement (long story)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] PCM Replacement (long story)