Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Maybe The PRC Heads Are NOT The Answer To Guide Wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
The fact that it's intake only would make me think it's a valve weight issue. Or too aggressive of a cam for that weight valve?

The intakes are pretty large, bigger than any other LS valve out there. Moving from Ti to SS is pretty significant. It is possible that this size valve doesn't do well with SS on this valve train.

From PRC's site - http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1236-pr...cnc-heads.aspx

If you are going to run the stainless steel intake valves, we recommend limiting total valve lift to no more than .616" due to the weight of the intake valve. Upgrading to the hollow-stem intake valve will shed significant intake valve weight and allow for additional lift. The titanium intake valves will be the lightest choice of the three choices and offer the best lift possible!

What were the specs on the cam?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

The intakes are pretty large, bigger than any other LS valve out there. Moving from Ti to SS is pretty significant. It is possible that this size valve doesn't do well with SS on this valve train.

From PRC's site - http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1236-pr...cnc-heads.aspx

If you are going to run the stainless steel intake valves, we recommend limiting total valve lift to no more than .616" due to the weight of the intake valve. Upgrading to the hollow-stem intake valve will shed significant intake valve weight and allow for additional lift. The titanium intake valves will be the lightest choice of the three choices and offer the best lift possible!

What were the specs on the cam?
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3948-pr...ore-heads.aspx

PRC 6-Bolt LS7 Cylinder Heads with Thicker Deck Surface
Will Work on Both Standard GM 4-Bolt & Aftermarket LSx / RHS 6-Bolt Style Engine Blocks
2.200"/1.59" Valves
PRC Double Spring Kit Complete With PRC Double
Springs, Titanium Retainers, Seats, & Seals
Completely Assembled & Setup To Your Specs
Available With Stainless Steel, Hollow-Stem, or Titanium Intake Valves

Extensive CNC and dyno testing has resulted in one of the most affordable and powerful LS7-based cylinder heads available! Flowing up to 35 CFM more than the stock GM LS7 head, the all-new PRC cylinder heads offer both unmatched power and airflow!

The PRC Small Bore LS7 cylinder heads are designed for both stroker, and stock cube applications with a 4.060"-4.100" bore. For bores larger than 4.100" bore checkout the PRC LS7 270cc & 285cc cylinder heads!

The PRC LS7 cylinder heads is available with standard stainless valves, hollow-stem intake, and titanium intake valves. If you are going to run the stainless steel intake valves, we recommend limiting total valve lift to no more than .616" due to the weight of the intake valve. Upgrading to the hollow-stem intake valve will shed significant intake valve weight and allow for additional lift. The titanium intake valves will be the lightest choice of the three choices and offer the best lift possible!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDingo
Can someone explain the lifter preload and rocker bolts to me? Where and when is this calibrated? I think I misunderstood something.
Any takers on this one?? I think you guys are referring to people using castings that aren't OEM, different push rods or aftermarket rockers. Correct?

Last edited by TheDingo; 10-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
The fact that it's intake only would make me think it's a valve weight issue. Or too aggressive of a cam for that weight valve?
I wonder who decided on stainless steel intake valves. And why.

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Yes, I have bronze guides and stainless exhaust valves, but we are looking at the intake wear in this example. I have stock intake valves and Andy has the stainless valves in this particular set.
Understood, but there is also the matter of where the stem to guide clearances on the exhaust side are now, and you say that these are all in the .002-.003 range.

I wonder if anyone knows where they started.

For example, guide to stem clearances on heads done by the shop which did yours are .00125-.00150 when they leave.

What I'm getting at is, since it is probably unknown by anyone in here as to what the stem to guide clearances started at on those heads, I'm wondering just how much "wear" that .002"-.003" you speak of represents.

For reference, anything from .0010-.0026 is the production spec for stem to guide clearance in the stock heads.

.0037" as mentioned earlier, is the service limit.

Originally Posted by hoefi
If an owner is planning to remove the heads for measurement, he might as well do it before the warrantee runs out rather than after. Specs are as follow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Trevor @ Texas Speed
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this was a valve guide material issue, you would see the crazy wear on the intake AND exhaust guides. The fact that you only see them on the intake side is an indication of something happening otherwise. We use the best valve guide material we can possibly find. That being said, we don't have control of how a customer's valvetrain is setup. We recently had a 30,000 mile set of heads arrive, & they were well within spec. I expect there is something causing this additional wear. There is something amiss if the car got a new cam one month prior to the issue popping up. The customer told one of our salesmen, John, today that he has put 7,000 miles on the cylinder heads. If this were a problem with material, I would expect that you would see the issue in a lot fewer miles, as well as on the intake and exhaust guides.

Jason already ok'd the heads to come back for valve guide replacement, so I'm not sure where the confusion is on us not trying to help.

It's unfortunate that the car is having issues, but one thing I must warn you. If you swap guides & put the heads right back on, whatever has caused these issues will no doubt cause it again. I would highly recommend checking your valvetrain. Considering that the valvetrain was upgraded one month prior to the issue, that raises a red flag for me.

We have used over 20,000 bronze guides in cylinder heads all over the world. Whenever someone ends up with bronze guide wear, it's typically a valvetrain issue. We sell a LOT of PRC LS7 cylinder heads, and we have not had one other issue reported with excessive wear on the bronze guides. If that were the case, you would see threads just like this one posted on multiple forums from multiple customers.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed; 10-03-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any takers on this one?? I think you guys are referring to people using castings that aren't OEM, different push rods or aftermarket rockers. Correct?
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...r_preload.aspx
Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Trevor @ Texas Speed

Here's the link to the company that supplies our valve guides. Make no mistake there are a lot of cheap valve guides out there on the market. We use only the highest quality bronze available & even do random metallurgy tests.

A perfect example of this is we could buy bronze guides for well under $3 but we choose to use a higher quality bronze that costs us nearly $6 per guide!!

http://www.nbmmetals.com/
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed
Guys we use the best valve guide material we can possibly find. That being said we don't have control of how someones valvetrain is setup. We recently had a 30k mile set of heads arrive & they were fine. I expect there is something causing this additional wear.

Jason already ok'd the heads to come back for valve guide replacement so I'm not sure where the confusion is on us not trying to help.

It's unfortunate that the car is having issues, but one thing I must warn you. If you swap guides & put them right back on whatever has caused these issues will no doubt cause it again.

We have used over 20,000 bronze guides in cylinder heads all over the world. Whenever someone ends up with bronze guide wear it's usually a valvetrain issue.
What length of guide are you using Trevor? I know there are a variety of lengths. I would think that with a rocker of this ratio that a 2.60 minimum should be used.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Lifter preload in LS motors is set by pushrod length. Typically .040-.080". This can be equated to turns of the rocker arm bolts from zero preload based on the amount the rocker goes down per turn of the rocker arm bolt from a zero preload condition.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Trevor @ Texas Speed

Originally Posted by 8850
What length of guide are you using Trevor? I know there are a variety of lengths. I would think that with a rocker of this ratio that a 2.60 minimum should be used.
The guides that we use are within .010" in length vs. the stock GM guides.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Trevor @ Texas Speed

Originally Posted by Unreal
Lifter preload in LS motors is set by pushrod length. Typically .040-.080". This can be equated to turns of the rocker arm bolts from zero preload based on the amount the rocker goes down per turn of the rocker arm bolt from a zero preload condition.
We were told by the customer that they had 1.5 turns of the rocker bolt. This would equate to ~.120" of lifter pre-load, which is way too much. It doesn't sound like the person that assembled the valvetrain checked for proper lifter pre-load.

The valves in the customer's cylinder heads are titanium intakes, so there is not a valvetrain weight issue in that respect.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Wow. So aftermarket rockers can't be the culprit for this one.

Who's to say the WCCH heads with stock rockers can't wear, too?
We aren't seeing any reports of valve trains getting unusual sounds like the owner of this one experienced.

My valve train on my WWCH sounds the same as day one and they have over 16K miles and 9 track days

DH
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

We were told by the customer that they had 1.5 turns of the rocker bolt. This would equate to ~.120" of lifter pre-load, which is way too much. It doesn't sound like the person that assembled the valvetrain checked for proper lifter pre-load.

The valves in the customer's cylinder heads are titanium intakes, so there is not a valvetrain weight issue in that respect.
Always two sides to every story! Thanks for your responses Trevor!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Always two sides to every story! Thanks for your responses Trevor!
3 actually.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Melting Slicks

The guides that we use are within .010" in length vs. the stock GM guides.
I wonder if the stockers are too short? The shorter the guide the greater the potential for increased side loads and wear.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by propain
3 actually.
What's yours???

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe The PRC Heads Are NOT The Answer To Guide Wear

Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Melting Slicks

What threads/inch are the rocker bolts?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Trevor @ Texas Speed

Originally Posted by 8850
I wonder if the stockers are too short? The shorter the guide the greater the potential for increased side loads and wear.
The problem with longer guides is it will kill flow if it extends further into the port. If it extends further up towards the springs, it will limit valve lift. The guide length has never been an issue for us or any other cylinder head porter or manufacturer. Again, the issue in question is only on the intake side. The guides for the intake and exhaust came out of the same box. If the guides are faulty, they would be bad on both the intake and exhaust.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Our Katech 427 with WCCH heads is setup at 1.5 and after 3 years of solid abuse and racing there are no issues.
I have the same heads but less than 1 yr of abuse How many track days a yr and street miles you getting Rich

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Maybe The PRC Heads Are NOT The Answer To Guide Wear