Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Spitting A/C Belts - ATI Super Damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:24 PM
???
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

That said the dampeners with the taller guides are still being made for me.....the nice thing about this is minor misalignment issues are no longer issues.

With the really short guide on the current 10% U/D unit, even a really small amount of a misalignment can potentially become a problem. The taller guides are going to eliminate that scenario
I not sure that's 100% true. my brand has high sides and it threw the belt at the last session of a track day, had been fine for years before that. once it's tossed one it tossed them all. if you spend enough time searching Google you will find just about every ls based car board has some belt throwing thread 50 plus posts long, anything from stock to aftermarket balancers and when it throws its a crap shoot as to what it takes out.

the much better way than trying to cover for the problem with higher sided pulley which might work forever or might not. finding a way to align the compressor while you're under there, is much safer way imo.

either way, it's such a relief when it finally stops. hopefully everyone finds a way. probably the most annoying thing I've ever dealt with in 30 plus years of breaking and fixing cars haha.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:43 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by ???
I not sure that's 100% true. my brand has high sides and it threw the belt at the last session of a track day, had been fine for years before that. once it's tossed one it tossed them all. if you spend enough time searching Google you will find just about every ls based car board has some belt throwing thread 50 plus posts long, anything from stock to aftermarket balancers and when it throws its a crap shoot as to what it takes out.

the much better way than trying to cover for the problem with higher sided pulley which might work forever or might not. finding a way to align the compressor while you're under there, is much safer way imo.

either way, it's such a relief when it finally stops. hopefully everyone finds a way. probably the most annoying thing I've ever dealt with in 30 plus years of breaking and fixing cars haha.
I'm confident it will eliminate most of the belt toss problems....if you have a significant misalignment or a defective tensioner it might not but there is a reason GM decided to make the belt guide as tall as they did (which is .150 ish tall....same height I have spec'ed for this custom part number I'm working with ATI on)

The 10% U/D ATI is only .060 tall....a significant reduction in height. With the OEM height the top of the belt is even with the top of the guide....it would take alot more things wrong to toss a belt with that situation than with a much smaller guide.

Looking at how a belt sits with a .060 tall guide, most of the belt thickness is above the guide (which is difficult to even see at that point)

Given the choice its a no brainer to go with the design with the OEM guide height....the only thing I'm trying to accomplish with this custom piece is to offer myself, my clients and other's interested that choice and peace of mind.

Time will tell how effective it is but I have put my money where my mouth is by investing in a much larger quantity to enable this to actually happen.

The new dampeners should be ready soon.....the outer custom shells (with the taller guide) are actually done....my last update from ATI we were simply waiting on the hubs to be machined

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-27-2023 at 11:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SeanDon210 (09-05-2022)
Old 06-27-2023, 11:02 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I must have unsubscribed from this thread at some point because I stopped seeing the updates. I've been through two other C6s since this problem (2010 ZR1 and now a 2011 Grand Sport vert). It's wild to see that this thread has stayed going for almost a decade (and here I am helping it along - but I can do that since I'm the original author ).

@Tony @ Mamo Motorsports , did they ever get the updated part released?
Old 06-27-2023, 11:10 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteVinnie
I must have unsubscribed from this thread at some point because I stopped seeing the updates. I've been through two other C6s since this problem (2010 ZR1 and now a 2011 Grand Sport vert). It's wild to see that this thread has stayed going for almost a decade (and here I am helping it along - but I can do that since I'm the original author ).

@Tony @ Mamo Motorsports , did they ever get the updated part released?
Yes.....I finally got the new design ATI dampeners and they have been working great. I have sold about 15 so far and not a tossed belt from anyone

I posted this new thread about it awhile back.....the pictures show you all you need to know about why the original design was a problematic and why my new design (mostly copying what GM intended here) is the cure.

Do me a favor and bump it to the top while your there!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ac-belts.html

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-28-2023 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:14 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Yes.....I finally got the new design ATI dampeners and they have been working great. I have sold about 15 so far and not a tossed belt from anyone

I posted this new thread about it awhile back.....the pictures show you all you need to know about why the original design was a problematic and why my new design (mostly copying what GM intended here) is the cure.

Do me a favor and bump it to the top while your there!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ac-belts.html

Regards,
Tony
Thank you. And done. I didn't see it because I sold the Z06 in 2015 (it changed hands again in 2016, and that owner posted above), and I sold my subsequent ZR1 in 2021. My current Grand Sport kept me away from the Z06/ZR1 section. I'll be sure to visit more often.

EDIT: It looks like my Z06 changed hands again in 2018, so hopefully the current owner finds his/her way here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 06-28-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:50 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Just bought a 2006 Z for track build with a spit AC belt… guess I need to replace the damper with Tony’s.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Spitting A/C Belts - ATI Super Damper