Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Lamin-X Headlight Blackout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lamin-X Headlight Blackout?

Has anyone tried them? Here's the link. I watched a couple YouTube vids on them and they don't look too hard to install.

I just purchased an acrylic blackout kit for the entire car from Corvette Mods but they don't include the headlights. I'd like to blackout the entire car and have it removable, so no blackout painting. These film pre-cut covers look like the invisible shield covers you put on smartphones.

I know RPI sells an acrylic cover for $200+ but don't think they'll look good with the flush headlights. Honestly I'm concerned about the acrylic side covers that I bought and how much they'll stick out when I install them.

The car is still at the R&R shop and my heads are set to ship back from American Heritage on Monday, so I have a little bit of time to decide. Thanks.

Last edited by NavyAirTraffic; 11-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think you'll still have a heat issue with Lamin-x, Cracking light buckets.
Here's a pic of acrylic covers, Easily removed when using headlights(clear velcro) Fog lights are Lamin-x

Name:  Concours 2013 005.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  55.4 KB
Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Name:  Corvettes America 2013 006.jpg
Views: 2731
Size:  67.3 KB
Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine are done and look like the above, any decent tint shop can also do the work
Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Thanks guys for the input!!

Originally Posted by 95jersey
mine are done and look like the above, any decent tint shop can also do the work
I don't want tint. I want it easily removable just in case I have trouble with the law.

Originally Posted by zcarbon
I think you'll still have a heat issue with Lamin-x, Cracking light buckets.
Here's a pic of acrylic covers, Easily removed when using headlights(clear velcro) Fog lights are Lamin-x
I think I am going to go the acrylic route. If you google "Lamin-x cracks"... there are SEVERAL threads on cracked headlights. I actually ordered lamin-x last night then canceled my order 2 hours later.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Dang...sorry i didn't see this sooner. I have Lamin-X on my Cobra. Had it on for 8 years. Installed myself. Personally, I thought their quality was second to none. No crack, no issues, and no rock chips in my head lights or fog lights. I would assess that the cracks experienced are due more to install error than a faulty film. This is just my opinion of the product based on my experience with it. I would happily purchase again for the vette. Sorry you cancelled your order.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 PM
zcarbon
Pro

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
Thanks guys for the input!!

I think I am going to go the acrylic route. If you google "Lamin-x cracks"... there are SEVERAL threads on cracked headlights. I actually ordered lamin-x last night then canceled my order 2 hours later.
Warning
Note: The heat damage i'm referring too is with acrylic covers with headlights on
Be sure to turn your auto twilights off also

RPI is running a Black weekend sale

Last edited by zcarbon; 11-30-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: sale
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Well.... given the last 2 posts, I guess I'll re-order. Wasn't going to be shipped till after Monday anyway (2-3 days to ship).

@Smokin04 (off topic): I read your other thread and I'll be switching to 0w30 when my heads are reinstalled. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
Well.... given the last 2 posts, I guess I'll re-order. Wasn't going to be shipped till after Monday anyway (2-3 days to ship).

@Smokin04 (off topic): I read your other thread and I'll be switching to 0w30 when my heads are reinstalled. Thanks!
Those are good looking dogs in your avatar too! You a dog handler or are they pets...???

Get notified of new replies

To Lamin-X Headlight Blackout?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Lamin-X Headlight Blackout?