Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] can't get in to my 08 Z06

Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 AM
08silverZ
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get in to my 08 Z06

I cannot open the door to my 2008 Z06. The car is in the garage with a trickle charger attached to the battery, so I don't think its the problem. I've tried both of my transmitters keys and neither will open either door. The problem started about 2 weeks ago when I noticed my rear view mirror courtesy light stayed on during a driving session. The next day the courtesy light was off but I couldn't open the door and figured the battery was dead, although its a fairly new battery I purchased in the spring. So I hooked up the tickle charger and it solved the problem, although it took a second before the door released. I took the car for a drive, everything was fine except again the rear view mirror courtesy light stayed on. Once again I hooked up the charger, check to see the courtesy light turned - which it did - and left the car in the garage. But yesterday I couldn't open either door, even after trying for several minutes. No courtesy lights were on and the battery charger shows green.

Anybody ever experience a problem like this? Any insights would be much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd suggest doing a search as there are many threads on this topic. I believe there's also a "sticky" on this subject in C6 General.

Oftentimes though it's the FOB battery or there's interference from a cellphone. In other cases, it's the receiver in the door that's gone bad. You can always get in through the hatch with the key that's part of the FOB and I believe there's a wire that will open the door in the back of the car once you've opened the hatch. The key hole is above the license plate in the rear. .02

Last edited by Tigershark3; 12-09-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by 08silverZ
The problem started about 2 weeks ago when I noticed my rear view mirror courtesy light stayed on during a driving session. The next day the courtesy light was off but I couldn't open the door and figured the battery was dead, although its a fairly new battery I purchased in the spring. So I hooked up the tickle charger and it solved the problem, although it took a second before the door released. I took the car for a drive, everything was fine except again the rear view mirror courtesy light stayed on...Anybody ever experience a problem like this? Any insights would be much appreciated.
Since courtesy light bottom of mirror remined on are you sure you didn't inadvertently depress the courtesy lamp switch @ lower left side on dash below steering column?

MANY of us have done this while detailing. Button depresses for courtesy lamp & holds; so, make extra certain this button's deactivated or you'll be dealing with this again & again. Lamp should turn off after 15-20 sec and if it does not go off automatically the issue could be the switch has been left on.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Landru
Since courtesy light bottom of mirror remined on are you sure you didn't inadvertently depress the courtesy lamp switch @ lower left side on dash below steering column?

MANY of us have done this while detailing. Button depresses for courtesy lamp & holds; so, make extra certain this button's deactivated or you'll be dealing with this again & again. Lamp should turn off after 15-20 sec and if it does not go off automatically the issue could be the switch has been left on.
Been there and done that. There's also a button on the rearview mirror light itself that it depressed, will keep the light on.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Do any of the interior lights work? Check the 60 amp fuse underhood. If it goes all interior functions (seat, doors, lights etc) will not work although the car will run.

Mine was caused by a chafed wire under the carpet finally blowing the fuse. New fuse and new tape on the chaffed section and good to go.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Do any of the interior lights work? Check the 60 amp fuse underhood. If it goes all interior functions (seat, doors, lights etc) will not work although the car will run.

Mine was caused by a chafed wire under the carpet finally blowing the fuse. New fuse and new tape on the chaffed section and good to go.
Dang! Any idea how/what chafed the wire? Seems odd wire could be rubbed like this by carpet...
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've read on this forum that some cell phones will interfere as well.

Remove your cell phone at least 30 feet away to rule that out.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
08silverZ
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the info. I still can't get in thru the door, but I squeezed into the front seat via the rear hatch, but this time I couldn't even start the engine. The dash said 'does not recognize FOB'. I'm guessing I need to replace the Body Control Module.

I live near Chicago and have been going to the local Chevy dealer for service, but I don't completely trust them due to the fact when they tried to sell me 4 new tires a couple years ago (after only 3000 miles) when all I needed was a flat repaired.

Any body have a service center in northeast Illinois/northwest Indiana that you would recommend? My car is now out of warranty.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM
vbjimbo
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Did you replace the battery in the FOBs as it sounds like they are not transmitting. As for the light, I agree with others as it is easy to press the switch when getting out of the car. I have an 08 and both died recently, swapped the battery and problem solved!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Above the rear license plate there is a key slot that will open the rear hatch, there is, then, a pull tab on the driver side wheel well that will let you open the driver side door.

It sounds like you were able to open the hatch, so when you pull the tab, it will allow you open the drivers door with no contortion needed. Both these are entirely manual/mechanical devices, so they should work even if the car battery is completely dead.

All the lights should turn off after ~20 minutes even if depressed. I always leave my hatch and trunk open and the lights have always turned themselves off (250,000 mi). From personal experience, if the battery is weak, it can cause all kinds of weirdness, and I have also had a brand new battery be defective and cause problems. This coupled with weak fob batteries can wreak all kinds of havoc!

lisa
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 PM
08silverZ
3rd Gear

The problem turned out to be the FOB battery. Replaced it and the door opened and the car fired right up. Whew! Cheap and easy repair! Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

lol, no need to squeeze in through the hatch.......lol, just pull the door release cable.....LOL
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Remove your rear left tail light.There are two wires that are taped together, undo the tape then connect your booster pack carefully to the wires .I ve had the same problem and the tire pressure being low is enough to drain the battery even with a trickle charger.The booster pack will give you power then unlock your door.Re tape the wires carefully .The tpms is working when the tire pressure is low which causes the battery to drain even with a trickle charger.Its happened to me twice in the last three years.Now i pump my tires to 40 lbs before winter storage and i leave the drivers window open.Lol.Live and learn.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by 08silverZ
The problem turned out to be the FOB battery. Replaced it and the door opened and the car fired right up. Whew! Cheap and easy repair! Thanks for all the feedback!
Sometimes not so easy. Those things are fragile as all get out.

Also I have had problems with mine with 3.3v from the inserted battery. They are so cheaply made that they don't always make good contact with the battery.

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Remove your rear left tail light.There are two wires that are taped together, undo the tape then connect your booster pack carefully to the wires .I ve had the same problem and the tire pressure being low is enough to drain the battery even with a trickle charger.The booster pack will give you power then unlock your door.Re tape the wires carefully .The tpms is working when the tire pressure is low which causes the battery to drain even with a trickle charger.Its happened to me twice in the last three years.Now i pump my tires to 40 lbs before winter storage and i leave the drivers window open.Lol.Live and learn.
why not just use the key and open the hatch, pull door release and your in? unless you lost the key or something?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Z06hopeful
Advanced

Ditto on the FOB battery. And yes, both of them failed and required replacement to their batteries... Also, when my main battery was weak, the car was VERY wierd, throwing all kinds of messages via the DIC...08 Z..good luck
Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru

Its happened to all of us

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To can't get in to my 08 Z06

Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

My key hasnt worked to open the hatch but yes thats the proper way.If i dont fix that problem this spring i deserve to get stuck out on the road ...lol
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
My key hasnt worked to open the hatch but yes thats the proper way.If i dont fix that problem this spring i deserve to get stuck out on the road ...lol
Now, I'm curious why your key hasn't worked. When you put it in the slot, can you turn it? It's a mechanical key, not dependent on the battery.

lisa
Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

No it fits rather well in place but it just doesnt turn .Ill fix it when i pull it out of storage after the winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] can't get in to my 08 Z06