Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best bang for the buck intake???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Default Best bang for the buck intake???

Hey everybody still new here and I'm reading as much as I can on here. My Z is still stock, or so I think. I'm the 3rd owner of this car. I have a few questions.

1. What is the best bang for your buck intake? I was thinking Vararam CAI, but I don't know too much about it.

2. Without tuning will the intake throw a engine check light or any sensor light?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 PM
BWilly22
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kouasupra
Hey everybody still new here and I'm reading as much as I can on here. My Z is still stock, or so I think. I'm the 3rd owner of this car. I have a few questions.

1. What is the best bang for your buck intake? I was thinking Vararam CAI, but I don't know too much about it.

2. Without tuning will the intake throw a engine check light or any sensor light?

Thanks!
That's a sick intake I'm no motor head but I put the same on my 2004 z no engine light & a lot better response
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
youzzi714
Racer

Depends on your mod list. I purchased an AIRRAID CAI because it was the cheapest I found and have no complaints.
Not sure about the tune part but I would assume you could throw it on and drive it, it has a MAF sensor which should take care of minimal adjustments.

Tune would increase HP/TQ without a intake, there is a youtube video somewhere of a before and after CAI out there.

Last edited by youzzi714; 12-31-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a MF103 and my car dynoed at 468rwhp/427rtrq with it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

OEM is best "bang"....
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Air raid for sure. For the price and performance, you can't go wrong. Other intakes are good too, but IMO not $400+ good
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
The best bang for the buck is to cut an appropriate inlet in the shroud to let in "cold" fresh air.

Yes we all know fantastic dyno numbers have been attributed to these $400-500 intakes, but IMO the best data comes from the track. User "Subfloor" has done extensive testing to prove that CAI at the strip provides a negligible difference.

intakes seem like the biggest rip off to me (followed closely by the 160 t-stat). It's a lot of money. We already know ram air isn't a factor unless the ram is extended something like 8 inches in front of the frontal area or at 180+ speeds. The rest is just less restrictive air filter... now you're letting in more particulate. The stock filter is good enough for a 638hp ZR1...

Most of us are just driving for show anyway...

I myself did two rectangular 1x5" cuts on the outer most edges of the shroud. This lets in fresh air but doesn't let in turbulence.

For $400, you can get a lighter battery (to improve performance in braking, handling and acceleration instead of just acceleration) AND do the stock exhaust mod. It'll feel faster with just that.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM
vvlf
Pro

Originally Posted by erichg1000
The best bang for the buck is to cut an appropriate inlet in the shroud to let in "cold" fresh air.

Yes we all know fantastic dyno numbers have been attributed to these $400-500 intakes, but IMO the best data comes from the track. User "Subfloor" has done extensive testing to prove that CAI at the strip provides a negligible difference.

intakes seem like the biggest rip off to me (followed closely by the 160 t-stat). It's a lot of money. We already know ram air isn't a factor unless the ram is extended something like 8 inches in front of the frontal area or at 180+ speeds. The rest is just less restrictive air filter... now you're letting in more particulate. The stock filter is good enough for a 638hp ZR1...

I myself did two rectangular 1x5" cuts on the outer most edges of the shroud. This lets in fresh air but doesn't let in turbulence.

For $400, you can get a lighter battery (to improve performance in braking, handling and acceleration instead of just acceleration) AND do the stock exhaust mod. It'll feel faster with just that.

Interesting and informative....

What are the pitfalls to opening up the shroud ? Would a person then have to worry about sucking up water should they go through a puddle?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought mine used for $300. Then sold my stock unit for $100.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

U have pics of what u did?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:02 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know of any downside, driving in water deep enough to reach the shroud would be a disaster in the first place. I've driven home from PPIR and hit a rainstorm so intense you couldn't drive over 30mph on the highway and I didn't have a single issue. If you had cut a big enough hole you might worry about letting more dirt/water/leaves inside the bay/into the air cleaner. The only other downside is getting the shroud out of the car is a PIA.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't know of any downside, driving in water deep enough to reach the shroud would be a disaster in the first place. I've driven home from PPIR and hit a rainstorm so intense you couldn't drive over 30mph on the highway and I didn't have a single issue. If you had cut a big enough hole you might worry about letting more dirt/water/leaves inside the bay/into the air cleaner. The only other downside is getting the shroud out of the car is a PIA.

Subfloor found out that cutting a hole into the radiator shroud works well.

Dirt and dust are about the two biggest concerns with going this route however.

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Like I said, it's not cut very cleanly but you should get the idea:

Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
KING_PIN6
Racer

i had halltech good intake no doubt

take care of the installation or it will through codes
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Amerkin
Instructor

Based on your response, you definitely don't have a clue concerning "ram air". My tuner and I have data logged my car (as well as others) and have seen positive manifold pressure at just over 100mph (+.44lbs positive pressure at 155mph), where as most conventional (non ram air) intakes result in a negative .96-.98, or in other words vacuum, even at high speeds. This was done with a Vararam CAI on my '08 ZO6. The car picked up 43 rwhp after the install and a tune, and about 4mph in the 1/4 mile. All else was OEM on the car. And I definitely don't drive just for show.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

^^ VR CAI = 43 hp huh? I though it was all advertising. I know they claim 40+ hp with 3+ miles improvement on the 1/4 mile. Did you noticed any performance gain before tune?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dyno-wise, 80% of whatever an intake claims as a horsepower gain can probably be had with the stock intake with a tune. It is my opinion that most of the so-called CAI horsepower gains are attained by the intake fooling the ECM into leaning out the A/F ratio (a tune can do the same thing).

Increased air flow is probably on the order of 1% (5 HP), at the cost of dirtier air in the engine (probably on the order of 1%).

Any ram-air effect is a different discussion, but screwing up the air flow thru the radiator is a real concern for anyone using the car for what it was designed for (track).

I do think the Halltech beehive is a smart approach to keeping the intake from sucking hot air when the car is stopped or at very slow speeds. Otherwise the stock Z06 hood scoop does a decent job of feeding cold air to the intake once the car is up and running over 50 MPH or so.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Dyno HP is useless to determine air intake value, since the car is not moving.
Halltech's approach is to block the underhood heat and extend the MAF forward, while Vararam's thrust is aimed toward avoiding heat by only introducing ambient frontal air.

Get notified of new replies

To Best bang for the buck intake???

Old 01-01-2014, 12:17 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Amerkin
Based on your response, you definitely don't have a clue concerning "ram air". My tuner and I have data logged my car (as well as others) and have seen positive manifold pressure at just over 100mph (+.44lbs positive pressure at 155mph), where as most conventional (non ram air) intakes result in a negative .96-.98, or in other words vacuum, even at high speeds. This was done with a Vararam CAI on my '08 ZO6. The car picked up 43 rwhp after the install and a tune, and about 4mph in the 1/4 mile. All else was OEM on the car. And I definitely don't drive just for show.
If you think a cold air intake added 40h.p to your car and shaved 4 tenths of the quarter mile you are definitely in need of waking up from a terrible nightmare.No bloody way.Impossible.Never!Acold air intake and a tune will net about 30h.p on an ls7.I got 12h.p from cai and 18 from the tune.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

^^ guys please provide links to the intake your referring to. It would help us newbies.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

^^ guys please provide links to the intake your referring to. It would help us newbies.
Easy search would suffice.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best bang for the buck intake???