Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] opinion thread: best rotor and pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 PM
gotturns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinion thread: best rotor and pads

I need to get some new brakes badddddd been holding out to get some new rotors maybe the DBA's….
just want to see what everyone thinks and what they have and like/dislike
Any help and opinion (good or bad is appreciated
any known deals would be nice as well

i have a 2006 LMB Z with CCW wheels
everybody likes pics so…..

Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

are you track or street or combo
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Yep. Need to know if this is for the street or the track?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

For Street use the OEM rotors and pads are pretty good, but do dust a lot. I went with Carbotech Bobcats for street use (single piece pads). They stop great, a lot less dust (but still some) and are about as quiet as the OEM pads (sometimes a squeak at slow speeds and light pedal pressure).

For track use at Spring Mountain (NV) - with street tires, I went with Carbotech XP 10s on the front and XP 8s on the rear. Very happy. If you are using R compound tires, you will want a more aggressive pad (XP 12 or 14s). I like the single piece pads (easier to install). I've had good wear and great braking with the Carbotechs.

For rotors, the OEM are nice looking are not too expensive (check GM Parts direct - the were around $70 each, but have gone up in the past year or so). I've been using DBA 3000 slotted rotors with good success (street and track). I also have a front set of two piece DBA 5000 drilled and slotted rotors that I am very happy with.

For any brake parts that you mail order, compare shipping costs along with the part cost - pads and especially rotors are heavy and can cost a lot to ship. I have been happy dealing with KNS Brakes. Got some excellent deals, fast shipping at a reasonable cost.

If you don't care too much about braking performance, but want no noise and minimal dust, Hawk Ceramics are clean and quiet (just don't get them for spirited use).

Jim
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

as above said, talk to Ken at KNS brakes. He can steer you to a good setup for street.
I highly recommend the single large pads. But you will want to pull them and flip them from side to side occasionally, as they will wear the bottom side slightly thinner first. Its a bit like rotating your tires to get the most life out of them.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM
gotturns
Instructor

nice! good info guys the car is for street use not ready to take it to the track yet still afraid of scratches. i did use oem rotors and they are already warped and squeaking a lot kinda embarrassing to pull up in that with your brakes squeaking haha
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,499 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by gotturns
nice! good info guys the car is for street use not ready to take it to the track yet still afraid of scratches. i did use oem rotors and they are already warped and squeaking a lot kinda embarrassing to pull up in that with your brakes squeaking haha
If you have good pad material left, go out and do several 80-40 hard stops in a row and then drive for 15 miles. That will almost certainly take the squeal away and may solve the brake pedal pulsing, which is usually caused by pad buildup on the rotors rather than warped as commonly thought.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
If you have good pad material left, go out and do several 80-40 hard stops in a row and then drive for 15 miles. That will almost certainly take the squeal away and may solve the brake pedal pulsing, which is usually caused by pad buildup on the rotors rather than warped as commonly thought.
Well I know what I'm doing come April lol.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

For a quality street pad take a look at the Carbotech 1521.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
von zoom
Instructor

I use Carbotech XP12 / XP10 for the track, and since I do not use the Z06 for everyday driving, I do not remove them for home use. I use Coleman Rotors which have served me well. I enjoy the speed and performance while on the track, but I appreciate the great ability to STOP that my brakes provide. Most important asset on my car. (Sorry Ken, but this is what I started with, respect you and your product, so please don't run over me at the track.)
vz
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gotturns
Yep - sounds like lack of use or being too easy on the brakes. Check out Carbotech's bedding procedures and additional good info in their FAQ section.

This is what I do; get the brakes well heated (get to 70+ mph and do a near ABS slow down to around 30 mph - repeat five or six times - then drive at moderate speed (45-70) for five to ten minutes WITHOUT braking - this cools the rotors that should now have a nice very thin coating of brake pad material evenly on the rotors. Finally, I stop (using the brakes as little as possible) and let them cool all the way down (30-40 minutes).

A lot of people use the OEM rotors and brakes for some pretty aggressive track use and have no warping problems. Dust and pad residue build-up will cause squealing and a pulsing pedal. If the rotors are warped, it is likely due to the lug nuts not being torqued evenly.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To opinion thread: best rotor and pads

Quick Reply: [Z06] opinion thread: best rotor and pads