Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 PM
jconnors316
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust valves

How many z06 owners are running the Ferrea hollow stem exhaust valves?Any comments on them.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jconnors316
How many z06 owners are running the Ferrea hollow stem exhaust valves?Any comments on them.
I'll let others chime in with more knowledge on this, but the Ferrea's are not sodium filled like the OE:- could that be a problem??

I'd personally like to know have GM redesigned/reworked the OE exhaust valves. I guess if they did they wouldn't own up to it, cos it's like admitting there's a problem with the originals.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Comments are not going to be of much use, beyond the basic facts (weight measured ~ 86 grams, hollow to perhaps 2" above the head, wall thickness claimed ~ .085). Finish is supposed to be excellent, at least to the eye (have not heard an Ra number). Comments on other forums a bit more technical than this one, relating to non-LS7 versions, are that they are tough valves.

Last edited by Mark2009; 01-10-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aussieross01
I'll let others chime in with more knowledge on this, but the Ferrea's are not sodium filled like the OE:- could that be a problem??
Could be if the lack of sodium overheats the valve seats. Could be an advantage if the guide issue is caused solely by overheated valve stems.

Originally Posted by aussieross01
I'd personally like to know have GM redesigned/reworked the OE exhaust valves. I guess if they did they wouldn't own up to it, cos it's like admitting there's a problem with the originals.
The GM part number for exhaust valves was changed in early 2008. This seems to correspond to an increase of wall thickness from ~ .034 to ~ .043 (actual measurements of the original p/n valve and the later p/n valve).
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I was told that the part number change of the exhaust valve in '08 was due to a change in supplier, possibly related to the bankruptcy period; and that the difference in weight/wall thickness is due to the different process used by the new vendor to input the sodium, and that it was not a change for performance/durability/reliability.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
I was told that the part number change of the exhaust valve in '08 was due to a change in supplier, possibly related to the bankruptcy period; and that the difference in weight/wall thickness is due to the different process used by the new vendor to input the sodium, and that it was not a change for performance/durability/reliability.
It sounds like you were told more than most anyone could know.

Furthermore, GM filed for bankruptcy on June 1, 2009, over a year after the part number change.

The bottom line is that the newer valve has a thicker wall than the older valve. What that means is mostly speculation, but that it would be stronger seems self-evident.

Overall I would say what you were told was a load
Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
GM was struggling long before June 1, 2009.

The part number change came in May of 2008. Seven months later, In December of 2008, General Motors submitted its "Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viability" to the Senate Banking Committee and House of Representatives Financial Services Committee.

In 2005 they had suffered nearly $11 billion in losses, and for FY 2007, GM's losses were nearly $36 billion with sales the next year dropping by 45% .

It is quite possible in the midst of all of this that they could have changed suppliers.

OTOH, I would ask how many, and which, investigators can confirm that there was any change in valve stem wall thickness at all with the part number change.

We know what one guy in here says that he measured. Who else has measured and confirmed the same thing?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-10-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

And the load grows bigger
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark200X
And the load grows bigger
I don't think that many care so much that you say that you measured a post May 2008 exhaust valve by your description; "with some difficulty".

I believe that your words were "I have no ball gauge this small". And yet you want to hold out this crude and inaccurate measurement as "proof" that the wall thickness of of May 2008 and up LS7 exhaust valves, is .009" thicker.

People want to know that your measurements were accurate, and your description doesn't instill confidence in that being the case.

Did you even bother to do a longitudinal section of the valve that you had, as did 240sx2jz in the depiction below?

Come back and tell us that the 2008 and up valves are thicker when you have some actual accurate measurements, the type of which are depicted below. And on more than one valve.

But from your description of your methods, it doesn't appear that you even sectioned the one post May 2008 valve that you had in such a way to even facilitate accurate wall thickness measurement.

If you did a section of a 2008+ valve in the plane indicated below and measured, well then say so. :

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
Just finished sectioning a valve guys, figured i would show you what i found.

The sodium is pretty cool, i definitely played with it in water haha. Anyways, i found the wall of the stem to be pretty uneven which i would not have expected. .029" at the thinnest and .039" at the thickest. A 25% shift in wall thickness is pretty extreme in my mind, not saying that is the cause dont get all twisted up yet and say .029" is plenty of steel given the spring weight and modulus of 420SS. But i do think that could cause uneven thermal distribution, just some food for thought. Also i found some helical mill lines from when they drilled the stock, and they were right at the intersection of the weld joint. These interest me quite a bit, this is a big no-no in a fatigue environment. The nature of these lines is to create hi stress nodes which lead to crack propagation. but again just food for thought. I will get this thing under an SEM and poke around.

sectioned valve by DSeddon1, on Flickr

13% more than that. The 1st gen. OEM valves measure .034, the 2nd gen. (the new p/n introduced early 2008) measure .043

The LS6 exh. valves were a tad thinner.... .030 or .031

The GM part number for exhaust valves was changed in early 2008. This seems to correspond to an increase of wall thickness from ~ .034 to ~ .043 (actual measurements of the original p/n valve and the later p/n valve).
No, I'm afraid that's not quite right either. Not all of the 1st generation exhaust valves had a wall thickness of .034" as you indicate above.

240sx2jz shows a wall thickness of up to .039" in that specimen and it is from a 2006.

He shows a wall thickness of .0315"-.032" in the specimen he examined below.

Some new info here with another sectioned valve. One, the wall was very even on this one....which may seem good; however, you would assume the wall would be around .035 all evened up right?? Nope... .0315 -.032 but still the same .313 OD again quite interesting. And I sectioned the rear of the valve because I wanted to see the construction back there as well, another peculiar part to the puzzle. It had some nipple shaped inner piece (sodium fill port, or is the slug of sodium contained in there until it is ready to have the tip drilled out??). But the peculiar part is the fact some sodium was trapped up towards the top of the shaft hmm..i know the melting point if sodium is around 200f so why was it trapped up there?? Any thoughts??

Full sectioning by DSeddon1, on Flickr
So if his measurements are correct, and there is no reason to believe that they are not, "1st generation LS7 valves" don't necessarily measure .034" in wall thickness.

The valve is from a 2006, and it had 25k on it. .
The fact, is that wall thickness and consistency in wall thickness, has been shown to vary in LS7 exhaust valves.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-11-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
[...] The GM part number for exhaust valves was changed in early 2008. This seems to correspond to an increase of wall thickness from ~ .034 to ~ .043 (actual measurements of the original p/n valve and the later p/n valve).
No, I'm afraid that's not quite right either. Not all of the 1st generation exhaust valves had a wall thickness of .034" as you indicate above.
[...]

sectioned valve by DSeddon1, on Flickr
240sx2jz shows a wall thickness of up to .039" in that specimen and it is from a 2006. [...]
Folks, this is the problem with trying to misrepresent the positions or actions of others. Especially when you have really taken no action of your own (and therefore might not even understand what others are doing).

As anyone can see, .039 is the max wall thickness of the mis-drilled valve in the photo. The min thickness of the same valve, in the same area, is .029. If you average those numbers, the average wall thickness is .034. Duh.

The ID of the hole in a correctly drilled pre-2008 valve or one that has been mis-drilled as in the photo above will still be the same. And we can assume the OD of the stem will be the same (none have been found/measured with more than a .001 tolerance). Therefore if you subract the ID from the OD you have average wall thickness, regardless of where you measure it or how badly the valve stem is mis-drilled (thin in one spot, thick in the other).

He shows a wall thickness of .0315"-.032" in the specimen he examined below. [...]
Since the valve is sectioned instead of simply cut in two, that measurement is inconclusive as an average. A machinist could tell you why (there is no need for me to try, for obvious reasons). The proper way to measure concentricity or diameter of a drilled/bored hole in a shaft is to look at it / measure it from one end.... not to slice it lengthwise. If you'd try it yourself, you might begin to understand why.

In any case, it has no bearing on the conclusion that the 2nd gen valve (later p/n) has a thicker wall than the 1st gen valve (early p/n), so all you're doing here is wasting everyone's time. If you can come up with a 2nd gen valve that only has .034 average wall thickness and a 1st gen valve that has .043 average wall thickness, or a 1st gen valve that weighs more than a 2nd gen valve, then you will have a case. Of course, that is not going to happen.

Last edited by Mark2009; 01-11-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Folks, this is the problem with trying to misrepresent the positions or actions of others. Especially when you have really taken no action of your own (and therefore might not even understand what others are doing).

As anyone can see, .039 is the max wall thickness of the mis-drilled valve in the photo. The min thickness of the same valve, in the same area, is .029. If you average those numbers, the average wall thickness is .034. Duh.
Average??? Where do you say anything in your earlier description in this thread about "average" wall thickness?

What you said earlier was:

Could be if the lack of sodium overheats the valve seats. Could be an advantage if the guide issue is caused solely by overheated valve stems.

The tilde, or the ~ symbol as you have written it above, means "approximately".

I don't see any mention in your above regarding "average" or "mean", nor any symbol indicating such.

And more importantly how is it any consolation to anyone in here who may have one of the above valves, that a portion of their valve might be as thin as .029" on one side?

Seriously, what's next in your line of "reasoning" and excuse making? .001" of wall thickness on one side and .067" on the other for total of .068" of wall thickness and an "average" wall thickness of .034"?

The ID of the hole in a correctly drilled pre-2008 valve or one that has been mis-drilled as in the photo above will still be the same. And we can assume the OD of the stem will be the same (none have been found/measured with more than a .001 tolerance). Therefore if you subract the ID from the OD you have average wall thickness, regardless of where you measure it or how badly the valve stem is mis-drilled (thin in one spot, thick in the other).
There you go with this "average" stuff again in an attempt to qualify what you said earlier where you mention no "average".

Folks if you take a uniform sized and straight bit and drill a hole into a rod of consistent diameter, but drill it off center, then nobody will have to tell you that areas of your drilled rod, i.e. one "side" of your drilled rod, will have thinner walls than other side of that drilled rod.

Since the valve is sectioned instead of simply cut in two, that measurement is inconclusive as an average.
Again, you never say anything about the "mean" or "average" wall thickness, and that is not what is at issue when it comes to this matter.

How consistent is the wall thickness is one concern.

How much deviation from the mean do some of the more thinner areas of slightly off center drilled valves show?

I would call a difference of .029 to .039 enough of a difference to be concerning.

And many in here, myself included, are concerned as to how thin the stock exhaust valve wall is at it's thinnest.

An equal concern among some is how thin the valves are at .0034", even when or if there should be consistency in the lumen throughout it's entire length.

A machinist could tell you why (there is no need for me to try, for obvious reasons). The proper way to measure concentricity or diameter of a drilled/bored hole in a shaft is to look at it / measure it from one end....not to slice it lengthwise. If you'd try it yourself, you might begin to understand why.

Mark200X states in his "research" where he supposedly arrives at the conclusion that May 2008 and up LS7 exhaust valves have a wall thickness of .043" that he made his measurements "with some difficulty" and goes on to say: "I have no ball gauge this small".

Get the best instruments for making the measurements, measure representative samples of May 2008 and up valves, and then you can make the statement that the new valves have a wall thickness of .043".

But measuring one valve, "with difficulty" and using questionable technique hardly allows anyone to arrive at the conclusion but himself.

Even if what he says is true and a smaller bit was used to drill post 2008 valves, then if that hole is drilled far enough off center, you could still end up with a valve which would have one wall just as thin, if not thinner, than the walls of a perfectly drilled pre 2008 valve

So to conclude that post 2008 valves have thicker walls than their predecessors is true, if in fact a smaller bit is being used and a smaller hole made, and if the drilling was done straight enough to prevent one area of the post 2008 valve form being thinner than a perfectly drilled pre 2008 valve.

I don't have confidence that Mark200X could have accurately measured the inner diameter of the valves he cut, nor do I believe that he has measured the wall thickness of more than one post 2008 valve.

In any case, it has no bearing on the conclusion that the 2nd gen valve (later p/n) has a thicker wall than the 1st gen valve (early p/n), so all you're doing here is wasting everyone's time.
By "measuring" one valve, and using **** poor methodology to even do that, by your own confession, it appears that you have not proven at all that "2nd generation" LS7 valves are thicker walled than the prior version of the valve.

Some may be, but others, if they are not perfectly drilled, might not be.

Seeing as how some of the pre 2008 valves were apparently not drilled perfectly straight, that may still be a concern for some.

....Both valves were found to have a uniform (to the extent I could detect) wall thickness of [edit] .03425 and .03443, respectively, measured at a point approximately halfway between the valve lock grove and the bottom of where the valve guide would be (essentially the mid-point of the valve stem).

I also dissected an unused OEM LS7 exhaust valve 12618110 EDIVAL 09-08 from a vendor's current inventory. I believe this to be a current production valve, altho the date code, if it indeed is a date code, may indicate a manufacture date of the 9th week of 2008. This valve weight 73.79 grams. My understanding is that the spec weight for current valves is 74 grams. The valve diameter measured .31355 from near the tip to .31345 near the head (spec is .3135).
You "believe"??? and your "understanding"???

So you aren't really certain of what you're measuring.

...The ID of the stem measured, with some difficulty (I have no ball gauge this small), .22650, giving a calculated wall thickness of .04353 (dial caliper measurement gave a wall thickness of .0430). Even given the slight uncertainty of these measurements, given this measurement compared to the [edit] .034x figure for the other valve, I feel confident in saying that the newer production OEM exhaust valve has a wall thickness approximately .009 greater than the early production valve.
You mention "uncertainty" in your above measurements, and that is to be understood, considering that your original text, copied below from another post, shows some difficulty in decimal placement:

Both valves were found to have a uniform (to the extent I could detect) wall thickness of .3425 and .3443, respectively, measured at a point approximately halfway between the valve lock grove and the bottom of where the valve guide would be (essentially the mid-point of the valve stem)......

I also dissected an unused OEM LS7 exhaust valve 12618110 EDIVAL 09-08 from a vendor's current inventory. I believe this to be a current production valve, altho the date code, if it indeed is a date code, may indicate a manufacture date of the 9th week of 2008. This valve weight 73.79 grams. My understanding is that the spec weight for current valves is 74 grams. The valve diameter measured .31355 from near the tip to .31345 near the head (spec is .3135).

The ID of the stem measured, with some difficulty (I have no ball gauge this small), .22650,giving a calculated wall thickness of .04353 (dial caliper measurement gave a wall thickness of .0430). Even given the slight uncertainty of these measurements, given this measurement compared to the .34x figure for the other valve,[/B] I feel confident in saying that the newer production OEM exhaust valve has a wall thickness approximately .009 greater than the early production valve[/COLOR].
.....If you can come up with a 2nd gen valve that only has .034 average wall thickness and a 1st gen valve that has .043 average wall thickness, or a 1st gen valve that weighs more than a 2nd gen valve, then you will have a case. Of course, that is not going to happen.
Why don't you first show us, using accurate measurement techniques, that the wall thickness of the 2nd generation valve is indeed .043"?

Because what you have posted up so far, falls short of that.

Once you do that, well then show us that the wall thickness of post 2008 valves is consistent.

I don't see how you do that with only one valve examined.

If you can't get decimals in the right place, then why should anyone trust your measurement techniques using instruments which call for at least some proficiency in that?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-12-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

It sounds like you were told more than most anyone could know.

Furthermore, GM filed for bankruptcy on June 1, 2009, over a year after the part number change.

The bottom line is that the newer valve has a thicker wall than the older valve. What that means is mostly speculation, but that it would be stronger seems self-evident.

Overall I would say what you were told was a load
Heh, that explanation supposedly came from ls7 engineers in GM. I'm not going to defend it, if the person who told me that wants to get in the middle of this, he can. Sorry I mentioned it.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:33 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Ferrea F2042P hollow valves, and it's because of what Richard (WCCH) said on another forum when talking about the cause of valve guide wear. Now in that quote he didn't recommend hollow valves (I chose them to reduce weight), if you PM me I can give you the link for the entire quote.

It appears that the sodium exhaut valves are transmitting an excessive amount of heat from the stem to the guide. In some cases the oil is BBQ'd in the guide and the lack of lubrication and cooling from the oil causes the excessive wear......

The next item to note regarding the sodium exhaust valves relates to the wall thickness of the sodium exhaust valve stem. It's only .040" thick and makes for a fragile exhaust valve. GM uses a good quality steel material but the design spec. renders the valves brittle at the neck. Hence the reason we choose the replace the factory units with stainless or inconel. The exhaust valves we use are manufactured with a .001" oversized stem size which allows us to hone the exhaust guides and remove most or all of the taper in the bore. In cases with excessive wear we replace the guides with bronze.
(now ^that^ quote was from 2010, if that means anything to you)

I upgraded to BTR dual springs for the added weight of the Ferrea's over the sodium... to fix the float issue. Time will tell if this thing holds up.

My advice... do your research thoroughly, gather your info, choose a setup and be done with it! There is no long term data (50k miles plus) on any aftermarket fix, so there is no definitive 100% bulletproof "fix".
Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
I run Ferrea F2042P hollow valves, and it's because of what Richard (WCCH) said on another forum when talking about the cause of valve guide wear. Now in that quote he didn't recommend hollow valves (I chose them to reduce weight), if you PM me I can give you the link for the entire quote.

(now ^that^ quote was from 2010, if that means anything to you)
When they mention .040", they may well have been rounding their figure up.

240sx2JZ saw a thickness of as much as .039" in an area of example which he showed in here of a 2006 valve.

Also

Originally Posted by American Heritage

We have measured stock GM LS7 exhaust valve wall thickness of .035" with a plus or minus factor of .003" from one side of the valve to the other.
That's telling me that they have seen as much as .038" all the way down to .032" in terms of wall thickness, and that this thickness may not have been consistent within the same valve. They do not specify year.

The bottom line here is that only one person so far is making a claim that May of 2008 and up valves are thicker than prior LS7 exhaust valves, and he is basing that "assessment" on shaky measuring techniques utilized on ONE valve.

I also dissected an unused OEM LS7 exhaust valve 12618110 EDIVAL 09-08 from a vendor's current inventory. I believe this to be a current production valve, altho the date code, if it indeed is a date code, may indicate a manufacture date of the 9th week of 2008. This valve weight 73.79 grams. ..... Even given the slight uncertainty of these measurements.
Not only is he unsure of his measurements and mentions their "uncertainty", which should say to anyone that they cannot be trusted.

But he appears to not even be 100% sure as to just what part it is that he is attempting to measure.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1572763145

The "9th week of 2008", won't put you into May of 2008. If you're making a claim as to what's what with the valves, a claim as strong as his, well then you need to know what the markings on the specimen that you are studying and holding out to be representative of the rest, indicate.

Either way, be it .030" or .040", the consistency of wall thickness in the stock LS7 exhaust valve is of concern to some professionals.

Furthermore, even at .040" of wall thickness, and even if consistent, there is still of concern from other cylinder head professionals as to if this wall thickness is sufficient.

So really, one trying to tell us that the've crudely measured and that the stock valves are now .04" thick, as opposed to .03" thick, is moot.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-11-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Funny how much evidence is constantly missing to support all these debates.

AH says they found inconsistent wall thickness. When asked for the data to support their findings they stated: "We aren't required to share our data". AKA "We don't have it"

We have ONE sectioned valve where we see what is described as inconsistent wall thickness. Nice lines and numbers on a screen. It looks to be inconsistent but who knows. The light is clearly blasting it from one side only rather than straight on. We can see this easily by observing the shadow coming off the valve. This would create, as we can clearly see, a large reflection on one side of the wall and a much more diffused light on the other side. This could easily make one side look larger than the other.

We also have another section from the same poster who sectioned a valve which looks completely fine with consistent wall thickness. Looking at that section the lighting looks to be uniform on that shot as well.

What is the proper procedure to measure wall thickness? I see Mark has pointed out:

The proper way to measure concentricity or diameter of a drilled/bored hole in a shaft is to look at it / measure it from one end.... not to slice it lengthwise. If you'd try it yourself, you might begin to understand why.
Looking at how difficult it would be to slice one of these in half and the possibility to take more of the wall from one side or the other I don't see how this can be considered scientific and agree with his assessment.

I can also see Marks point of cutting it in half and viewing the walls from the end into the bore. This would give a 360 view of all sides of the wall. You can continue to slice in this direction and take measurements for the entire length of the valve. This would also remove the fear of removing more of the wall from one side or the other while sectioning.

Hopefully we can get some real data someday with some independent research from a valve that has not experienced guide wear. Until then all of it is just guessing.

Last edited by propain; 01-11-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

The troublesome thing that I see in the measurements are already indicated.

And it is that not only is he unsure of his measurements, stating that he encountered "difficulty" obtaining them with his calipers, and it is easy to see just how he would have, but appears to be unsure of exactly what part it was that he measured.

This is why more than one specimen should have been studied by this investigator, as was the case with 240sx2jz, American Heritage, andTanner.

Unless they're lying, all three have examined multiple valves for wall thickness consistency.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-12-2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] Either way, be it .030" or .040", the consistency of wall thickness in the stock LS7 exhaust valve is of concern to some professionals. [...]
Can you link to or quote such concern of any professional? I certainly have not run across any, and I pay pretty close attention to these threads both before and after the sectioned valve surfaced.

[...] So really, one trying to tell us that the've crudely measured and that the stock valves are now .04" thick, as opposed to .03" thick, is moot.
Quick, at this point you are actually lying (by misrepresenting the posts of others). That kind of desperation to prove a point indicates that the facts really don't back you up. Now I'm not going to bother to address your wall-of-text posts other than excerpts like above where you seem to have lost contact with the truth, and I would appreciate it if you would stick closer to the truth so I don't have to address read/address those types of posts at all (a flood of biased information tends to contain so many errors that it overwhelms/discourages any attempt to correct them).

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06, on 7-28-2012
They changed that part number for one reason or another. Now whether that reason is due to the wall thickness, nobody knows yet, but we might find out soon.

I lot of questions stand to be answered depending on what you find in wall thickness from measurements of random brand new valves.

I am considering buying some of the newer valves myself and cutting into them for measurements. [...]
That would have been a worthwhile effort; as opposed to attacking the efforts of others. You might have even learned something... but perhaps this eventually entered into the equation:

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06, on 7-28-2012
If what you say above does turn out to be true, then part of the currently proposed "fix", the use of heavier stainless steel valves, might not be the best valve option at all.

But rather current updated OEM valves.

It will be interesting to see, but if he slices into several of the newer valves, i.e. part #12618110, and discovers the wall thicknesses to be at or near a consistent .039", then that part of the current recommend "fix" which involves going away from the stock exhaust valves, could take a hit.
Flip. Flop.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust valves

Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Its not the measurement. Its the method. I don't know about lying but discovering something of this magnitude should surely be represented with some proper data from the findings. This always seems to be missing.

I did a bit of searching and came up with this as the method to measure wall thickness on a bore. Not sure if it can handle something as small as a valve though.

http://www.envirocoustics.gr/product...ck_mg2_eng.htm

Might be worth the investment if someone is looking to really document some research on these valves. I have a feeling the method of acquiring and measuring these valves wouldn't be considered scientific.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] This is why more than one specimen should have been studied by this investigator, as was the case with 240sx2jz, American Heritage, and Tanner.

Unless they're lying, all three have examined multiple valves for wall thickness consistency.
Tanner's never cut open any valves... or if he did he's never posted about it here. What kind of alternate reality / revisionist history are you trying to construct here?

From what I've seen posted here, 240sx2jz cut open two. I cut open three, as you probably know but are clearly lying about. And how do you think he made his measurements? Or do you even know?

As to AH, I haven't seen them post as to how many they've cut open, so once again you are making assumptions or making things up.

How many have you cut open?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Tanner's never cut open any valves... or if he did he's never posted about it here. What kind of alternate reality / revisionist history are you trying to construct here?

From what I've seen posted here, 240sx2jz cut open two. I cut open three, as you probably know but are clearly lying about. And how do you think he made his measurements? Or do you even know?

As to AH, I haven't seen them post as to how many they've cut open, so once again you are making assumptions or making things up.

How many have you cut open?
With the exception of 240sx2jz none of shown their findings of valve wall thickness.

I have also never seen any results posted by Tanner. AH declined to share their results other than the statement that the wall thickness was found to be inconsistent.

Quick Reply: [Z06] exhaust valves