Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] electrical issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM
biggfroggy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issues...

i have a 2006 z06. ive had a lot of electrical issues in the past. ive had to replace many many batteries.

i just replaced the battery 5 weeks ago. i had been driving the car daily. the volt meter was always reading around 13.5. it never had any issues turning over or stuttering.

i was out the other night, again, no issues, meter reading fine. i get home (thankfully) and as soon as i hit the kill switch every thing went black. the radio cut off, no interior lights, head lights went off, and doors wouldnt open. it was instantaneous. now the car is completely dead. the battery is fine. the alternator had been keeping the battery charged.

this is with no warning signs what so ever. any ideas? im checking fuses and relays. so far i havent found any thing bad.

ive had so many issues with this car. its always had electrical issues and at 14,000 miles had four valve guides shot. i went ahead and did head, cam, headers and etc work while getting that fixed. its 559 horsepower to the wheels now. i hate to get rid of it due to the money i have tied up in it, but its starting to remind me of the horror stories people have with old italian supercars.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

13.5 is too low so you've had an issue for some time. It should be 14.0 or higher on the DIC.

Read lots of issues here with burnt/broken starter connections, so that is the place to start. Seems the starter is a main connection point for the battery system. Get under the car with a very bright light, look for burnt/loose/broken at the big starter terminal. Some have theorized issues with the headers overheating that area as well.

If not that then you should check the major grounds (look for big cable bolted to frame). Probably have to take it off (loose from frame) to inspect for any issues (corrosion, whatever). I think there is one on the passenger side engine compartment, top of frame, maybe half a foot in front of the fuse box. Dunno where it comes from (battery, maybe?). There may be others (back at the battery, maybe?).
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
13.5 is too low so you've had an issue for some time. It should be 14.0 or higher on the DIC.

Read lots of issues here with burnt/broken starter connections, so that is the place to start. Seems the starter is a main connection point for the battery system. Get under the car with a very bright light, look for burnt/loose/broken at the big starter terminal. Some have theorized issues with the headers overheating that area as well.

If not that then you should check the major grounds (look for big cable bolted to frame). Probably have to take it off (loose from frame) to inspect for any issues (corrosion, whatever). I think there is one on the passenger side engine compartment, top of frame, maybe half a foot in front of the fuse box. Dunno where it comes from (battery, maybe?). There may be others (back at the battery, maybe?).
Yep that's a good place to start. I'm thinking that the voltmeter on the DIC should be right at 14.5 volts. If that's not where it's at and if you find no connection issues you may want to have the Alt. checked.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

All it takes is a loose terminal at the starter to cause all sorts of issues. Car will start and run fine, stop to get gas and it might take a half hour or more to get the car to start again. Can be very intermittent.

I am attaching the starting and charging schematics. The starting schematic is functionally correct but the charging one shows how the wires from the battery and alternator are actually routed to the starter.

Pay attention to the ground connection points as well since they are the other half of the circuit.

Bill
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 PM
biggfroggy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a great great help guys. thank you very much.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Bill Dearborn IS the Corvette Forum

Get notified of new replies

To electrical issues...

Quick Reply: [Z06] electrical issues...