Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A couple of Z06 questions please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
ZR-1 Mark
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default A couple of Z06 questions please...

I'm looking to trade my '02 Z06 plus cash for a C6 Z06.
Can someone explain to me the valve problem I've read about on occasion here ?

Also, the difference in the trim packages, 1LZ 2LZ and 3LZ..

I neeeds' to know !!

Thanks, Mark
Old 02-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exhaust valve drop and causes your engine to grenade. Its been a heaviliy talked about subject here, and youll find a TON of threads...good...bad...and the ugly. Its something to do with guides wearing out..valves breaking...some say its even bc of oil...Who knows?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...lz-vs-3lz.html
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

If you get an in-warranty Z06, 3/36 b2b, 5/100 powertrain, then you don't need to do anything re the valve drop right away. Some of us got the GMPP warranty near the end of the 3/36 and extended that out for more coverage.

I personally would not run a C6 Z06 without warranty (GM factory or GMPP, which I have)unless I had the heads reworked by a competent vendor. That can be as low as $2K installed if no mods are done. If the engine lets go without warranty, then you are looking at the $15K neighborhood for a replacement LS7. You could probably get a suitable build non-LS7 for less than that.

These cars are an incredible performance car and are usually quite reliable. Getting one used is a real performance value if it has not been beat on or neglected. Having a competent Corvette mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection of a non-warranty car is a must. Even with that, you'd want to get the heads done on an out of warranty car. GM has been fairly good about honoring in-warranty cars, though some dealers have balked and some dealers are not very competent to work on these cars.

My opinions, others may be different.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
If you get an in-warranty Z06, 3/36 b2b, 5/100 powertrain, then you don't need to do anything re the valve drop right away. Some of us got the GMPP warranty near the end of the 3/36 and extended that out for more coverage.

I personally would not run a C6 Z06 without warranty (GM factory or GMPP, which I have)unless I had the heads reworked by a competent vendor. That can be as low as $2K installed if no mods are done. If the engine lets go without warranty, then you are looking at the $15K neighborhood for a replacement LS7. You could probably get a suitable build non-LS7 for less than that.

These cars are an incredible performance car and are usually quite reliable. Getting one used is a real performance value if it has not been beat on or neglected. Having a competent Corvette mechanic to a pre-purchase inspection of a non-warranty car is a must. Even with that, you'd want to get the heads done on an out of warranty car. GM has been fairly good about honoring in-warranty cars, though some dealers have balked and some dealers are not very competent to work on these cars.

AzDave very sound advice. I 100% agree with you.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

These cars are an incredible performance car and are usually quite reliable. Getting one used is a real performance value if it has not been beat on or neglected. Having a competent Corvette mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection of a non-warranty car is a must. Even with that, you'd want to get the heads done on an out of warranty car. GM has been fairly good about honoring in-warranty cars, though some dealers have balked and some dealers are not very competent to work on these cars.

Thats good advise right there ..............

DH
Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd love to get into a C5Z06. My 06 with 30,000 miles could be up for trade lol! I did PRC 265 heads, LS7S cam, Pfadt headers and some other bits right at 30,000 miles. Did 5 hours of track time and then bought a racecar and have barely driven it since.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I went from a H/C/I 02 Z06 to an 06 Z06 and for the most part couldn't be happier. With just an air intake and tune it made more rwhp and it's a lot friendlier to drive. I do miss the look of the FRC but I don't regret the decision at all. I'm planning on doing the heads before the winter is over, I just need to figure out what route I want to take.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Several good points in the above.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely great advise. I would add only that usually (but not always) Z06 cars are traded in because some little(or major) problem has come up and the owner doesn't want to cough up the cash to fix it. Just have some cash to address the head wiggle test(or fix) and other parts that may need replacing. And as always....enjoy your supercar.
And by supercar I mean it can thrill you and kill you the same way.

Get notified of new replies

To A couple of Z06 questions please...

Quick Reply: [Z06] A couple of Z06 questions please...