Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best DD Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM
TylerJ97
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best DD Tires?

Hey just got my C6 Z06 used and it really needs rear tires. It has the stock Goodyear Supercar runflats on the front with 80-90% tread left. It is my DD but I am considering Drag Radials because of the ovbious performance gains and the prices arent much if any more expensive than street tires but have no idea yet. drag raidals or not? Or what tire is the best bang for the buck? Has the stock 19×12 rear wheels.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

there are lots of threads on this but how are you going to drive the car mostly street, mostly track, in the rain or rain isn't a concern, is mileage important?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:26 PM
TylerJ97
Advanced

Originally Posted by morris
there are lots of threads on this but how are you going to drive the car mostly street, mostly track, in the rain or rain isn't a concern, is mileage important?
99.9% street, and rain isn't too much of a concern and for what I have seen with any of the tire choices 10-15k is all I can get out of them?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 PM
morris
Drifting

Well, I have run quite a few different ones, my favorite and stickiest street tire is Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, but then you wont get 10K miles out of them either. The best compromise between traction and wear that I ran was the NItto NT05 as an added benefit you might not die if you have rain on the HWY. just kidding, well sort of. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to be one of the more popular Street tires right now but I have not used them. Then of course you have the GEN2 goodyears that guys seemed to like when they first came out, not sure what the current thinking is on them and I never ran them. One other thing for you to consider is do you need a run flat or not, if you do need runflats that may limit your choices as well. I also wouldn't recommend mixing new stickier tires with older less sticky front tires, seems like a recipie for oversteer disaster to me
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM
TylerJ97
Advanced

Well, I have run quite a few different ones, my favorite and stickiest street tire is Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, but then you wont get 10K miles out of them either. The best compromise between traction and wear that I ran was the NItto NT05 as an added benefit you might not die if you have rain on the HWY. just kidding, well sort of. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to be one of the more popular Street tires right now but I have not used them. Then of course you have the GEN2 goodyears that guys seemed to like when they first came out, not sure what the current thinking is on them and I never ran them. One other thing for you to consider is do you need a run flat or not, if you do need runflats that may limit your choices as well. I also wouldn't recommend mixing new stickier tires with older less sticky front tires, seems like a recipie for oversteer disaster to me
Thanks alot for the advice, and run flats make really no difference to me, ive been leaning towards the Nitto NT05 drag radials, just dont know if I want to fork up the extra $100 a tire to get the Pilot Sports haha
Old 04-20-2014, 09:49 PM
morris
Drifting

If you are considering the drag radials, questions to ask, do they heat cycle, if so they wont be worth **** for long. How much less mileage will you get on the NT05r than the NT05, since they are drag tires they may be very limited in terms of life. I don't know the answers to those questions but they might make a difference in your purchase decision. Heck thinking about it I never got 10K miles from a set of NT05's either but I do drive with some spirit and I did take them to track days.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 PM
TylerJ97
Advanced

If you are considering the drag radials, questions to ask, do they heat cycle, if so they wont be worth **** for long. How much less mileage will you get on the NT05r than the NT05, since they are drag tires they may be very limited in terms of life. I don't know the answers to those questions but they might make a difference in your purchase decision. Heck thinking about it I never got 10K miles from a set of NT05's either but I do drive with some spirit and I did take them to track days.
From what I have read some people have gotten 10,000-15,000 miles off the Nitto NT05R's + the gained performace of Drag Radials. If that is true I think that is the way I will go.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:02 PM
morris
Drifting

I suppose that may be, I really don't know but I will say that people said they got 20K+ miles out of the original Goodyear's too. I have come to realize that not everyone drives a corvette like I do as such there mileage experiences can and often do vary from my personal experiences. But if you did your research at the end of the day you have to make your own judgment and just try it.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:04 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 80 Posts

i went with and am very happy with the bridgestone runflats. they drive great and grip well. they do just fine in the rain. and for a daily it is nice to have the runflat to get you home if need be without a spare tire. it isn't the best at any one thing but hands down the best compromise for all tire aspects. fit the bill for me perfectly.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:23 PM
TylerJ97
Advanced

I suppose that may be, I really don't know but I will say that people said they got 20K+ miles out of the original Goodyear's too. I have come to realize that not everyone drives a corvette like I do as such there mileage experiences can and often do vary from my personal experiences. But if you did your research at the end of the day you have to make your own judgment and just try it.
Very true point, I am 99% sure im going NT05R
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 PM
TylerJ97
Advanced

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
i went with and am very happy with the bridgestone runflats. they drive great and grip well. they do just fine in the rain. and for a daily it is nice to have the runflat to get you home if need be without a spare tire. it isn't the best at any one thing but hands down the best compromise for all tire aspects. fit the bill for me perfectly.
That is true about the runflats, I just dont know if I want to go mismatched with the front and rears. I feel like I can get by it if I go mismatched with Drag Radials though.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 80 Posts

good luck with drag radials in the rain. and they only usually last 3-5k miles depending on how many drag strip trips. plus makes the back end feel pretty loose (side walls are soft).
Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 PM
morris
Drifting

Do they heat cycles like R6's?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 PM
morris
Drifting

Thought you might be interested in this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...008-z06-2.html

Get notified of new replies

To Best DD Tires?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best DD Tires?