Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] So I need a new BLOCK...!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default So I need a new BLOCK...!

The A-holes that did my motor work totally over sold and under delivered on my 445 stroker! It's been in the shop 11 months with no real progress.

It's a long story and I've hired an attorney who will be suing the crap out of them. I won't disclose that information until after the law suit. Says I have a STRONG case and is taking it on a contingency agreement so he doesn't get paid unless we win. Clearly its a solid case of incompetence

I had a friend go get my motor from the shop that built my motor last week... the long and short of it is...

I mailed JE (who made my custom pistons), they looked up the serial number on my pistons.. Turns out my engine build sheet was correct on the bore and stroke size. Pistons are for a 4.155 bore x 4.125 stroke. That's a 447 Stroker NOT a 445 Stroker which is was I paid for... I belive a 445 is 4.145 x 4.125. Either way the bore is WAY TOO BIG for stock sleeves! They should have known that was too big and thus the reason my block is cracked beyond repair.

So the question is... Where can I get a new block? I plan to order an dry sleeve ERL block but they need a core and clearly mine is TRASHED so I need to send them a core to avoid the core charge.

Ideally I'd like my block to have the 7.0 stamp on it but ERL has no LS7 blocks so I'd end up getting a resleeved 4.155 x4.125 LS3 block more than likely. Not happy about it but as long as it's strong and I get my 447ci back on the street, that's all I care about now after almost a YEAR!

I'm PEEVED BEYOND BELIEF! So if you have a lead on a used block (LS2 or LS3 or LS7) let me know please. I've seen on ebay they had one out there for like $2xx dollars.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Why can't your block be used as a core? A cracked sleeve should still be a good core. Now if the block is cracked then no.

Good luck. This is why I goto a big name in LS motors. Livernois, LME, HKE, etc for any big money motor.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:27 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Why can't your block be used as a core? A cracked sleeve should still be a good core. Now if the block is cracked then no.

Good luck. This is why I goto a big name in LS motors. Livernois, LME, HKE, etc for any big money motor.
BLOCK IS CRACKED! Webbing and all. Was in the shop 7 months for the build.. got it back, drove 2 months at low rpm breaking in the new motor and immediately got massive consumption issues with coolant and oil.

Pulled motor and yep, #7 cracked again. Only now the block is cracked. AMAZING!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pmd ya. Hopefully the link i sent helps.. Good luck
Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
I pmd ya. Hopefully the link i sent helps.. Good luck
Thank man. He wants too much for it though... core charge is less than his asking price. I appreciate you looking out though...
Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

HKE will be working on my new setup. Rather one of the guys that used to work for HKE and now has his own shop in Dallas. Need that ERL block 1st.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for whats happen to your LS7 many time's it's happen here but thank god you're not living here cause no one can open a case for a garage mistake!!

hopefully you rebuild it again and if you want my advice go with LSX.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i was goin to go erl aswell but didnt want to trash my ls7 block. rather sell it complete short block so went rhs. time u buy a core and the get the erl treatment the rhs was much for muchness. i few sleeves have shifted recently according to my builder so for me it was a no brainer
Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baro0k@eXtermination
sorry for whats happen to your LS7 many time's it's happen here but thank god you're not living here cause no one can open a case for a garage mistake!!

hopefully you rebuild it again and if you want my advice go with LSX.
Isn't an LSX block an IRON block? If so, I don't what that kind of weight on my front end. Totally messes up the 50/50 weight distribution of the Z06 and makes it less track worthy.

Originally Posted by croatbob
i was goin to go erl aswell but didnt want to trash my ls7 block. rather sell it complete short block so went rhs. time u buy a core and the get the erl treatment the rhs was much for muchness. i few sleeves have shifted recently according to my builder so for me it was a no brainer
Not sure I understand. There were some typos. What is "RHS"? "rhs was much for muchness"??

What's the no brainer? I'm lost... You advise is to do what?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:13 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by starchedup
Isn't an LSX block an IRON block? If so, I don't what that kind of weight on my front end. Totally messes up the 50/50 weight distribution of the Z06 and makes it less track worthy.

Not sure I understand. There were some typos. What is "RHS"? "rhs was much for muchness"??

What's the no brainer? I'm lost... You advise is to do what?

sorry thats just my short land....this is my advice..... start with a fresh block for a few bucks more than finding a 2nd hand block n getn the erl treatment. n yes lsx is iron block. messes with the weight plus extra heat in the block. my rhs is being built as we speak at redline motorsport.

http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs...ock-14070html/

Last edited by croatbob; 04-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

sorry thats just my short land....this is my advice..... start with a fresh block for a few bucks more than finding a 2nd hand block n getn the erl treatment. n yes lsx is iron block. messes with the weight plus extra heat in the block. my rhs is being built as we speak at redline motorsport.

http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs...ock-14070html/
Thanks. That's a LOT OF COIN to drop. I would go that route if the law suite was settled and I had that kind of money but right now, I just need strong block so I can get back on the road. I might go bigger etc once I'm paid out but right now... I think I just want a core to send back to ERL.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Thanks. That's a LOT OF COIN to drop. I would go that route if the law suite was settled and I had that kind of money but right now, I just need strong block so I can get back on the road. I might go bigger etc once I'm paid out but right now... I think I just want a core to send back to ERL.
finding a suitable core then getn erl to do there thing wont be much cheaper at all. cheapest out is an lsx iron block for 2200-2500
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

finding a suitable core then getn erl to do there thing wont be much cheaper at all. cheapest out is an lsx iron block for 2200-2500
I saw a Gen IV 5.3 LH6 LSX aluminum block for $250... was thinking of sending that in..
Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Do it. Any gen 4 alum block will work.

RHS is pricey but a nice block. Also needs stuff like custom timing chain/etc that drive the cost up.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Do it. Any gen 4 alum block will work.

RHS is pricey but a nice block. Also needs stuff like custom timing chain/etc that drive the cost up.
Only do a RHS if you have a good engine shop doing the machine work. We have seen a lot of issues with those that need some real work done other than a bearing setup and final hone. Some have needed deck work, check for straight mains.....
Old 04-25-2014, 05:46 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Only do a RHS if you have a good engine shop doing the machine work. We have seen a lot of issues with those that need some real work done other than a bearing setup and final hone. Some have needed deck work, check for straight mains.....
RHS wants over $4800 for their block. Too rich for my blood. Any other thoughts as to where I can get a good core to send to ERL?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

RHS wants over $4800 for their block. Too rich for my blood. Any other thoughts as to where I can get a good core to send to ERL?
If possible...try and send yours in. I bet they would take it for a core. If not they don't have to have a block to start on one..you would just be billed for a core.

Check your local salvage yard. I'm rounding up old blocks here to send to ERL this week for new projects.

Get notified of new replies

To So I need a new BLOCK...!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
If possible...try and send yours in. I bet they would take it for a core. If not they don't have to have a block to start on one..you would just be billed for a core.

Check your local salvage yard. I'm rounding up old blocks here to send to ERL this week for new projects.
That's a good idea but I don't know what i'm looking at. I wouldn't know if it had spun bearings or missing the main caps.

They do have cores to start on now, I just wouldn't get a stamped 7.0 block. It would be one of the LS3 type blocks. Kinda proud of the 7.0 stamp given its going in a Z06 not just a base C6. SMH...

I have a friend that has a LS7 block to sell me for 1K but then I still have to send it to ERL and pay the $2500 to resleeve it to my specs. I might have to do that IF I can't find a cheaper alternative. That or just take a NON LS7 block with no 7.0 stamp and send in some core I get somewhere (assuming its a good block).
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 PM
jconnors316
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block

Try Cleveland pick a part
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jconnors316
Try Cleveland pick a part
Got a URL for it?

Quick Reply: [Z06] So I need a new BLOCK...!