Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Given that GM is STILL using the sodium filled exhaust valve not only in the LS7 of the Z28 but also in the whole line of C7 Vettes, Richard has missed his calling, he could make MILLIONS from GM if he'd only share his wisdom. Just think of the huge engineering department budgets that could be eliminated by hiring Richard

What I have a hard time understanding is, when someone makes huge profits from an issue like this, why any intelligent individual would simply take the word of that guy who's making all the money. At best it is just one man's opinion, at worst it is an opinion which is tainted to ensure his profits are maximized. The more you can undermine confidence in GM's engineering the more money you will make...heck you'll even get lemmings who will 'fix' their heads when they aren't even 'broken' in the first place, just have to convince everybody about how 'weak' them stock valves are

Cheers, Paul.
Some would rather trust an honest man who puts his business on the line with what he recommends. Many would not trust GM as much. GM has a record of screwing us ZO6 owners not too mention past and recent debacles where their customers are killed. Richard on the other hand does not have any such horrible history.

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Wow Shady Inc. and his GF are over here too!DH
Spring is in the air

Bromances
LIPSTICK ON A PIG ……….

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

EXACTLY Oh yeah there's a few of those around here.

BUT you know what, IF I were making a really good living 'fixing' these heads but didn't actually know what was wrong in the first place and that I was basically just taking a shot in the dark that my work was going to last, I too might want to use a solid valve just in case my machine work didn't 'fix' the issue and the guides worn out again, you know kinda hedge my bets

Then of course all you'd need is a couple guys who aren't smart enough to recognise that the valve isn't actually the problem, get them to go on the internet a create all kinds of hype and hysteria about how flawed the stock valves are and the end result is an awesome business making lots of money. And you know if the couple guys you got to create the hysteria were really gullible you wouldn't even have to pay them because they'd think you all were friends

Cheers, Paul.
Glad to see that you acknowledge the SS valve is safer to use

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by propain
And how is the excessive heat wearing out the intake guides?

Why are there oem heads straight from the supplier with machine issues which will lead to premature guide wear?

Why are these valves dropping in some cars in a few thousand miles and others have clocked 100k plus?

Oops....

The above facts negate Richards letter. Hes a smart guy and is a good head shop but in this case he over thought the issue and missed the mark. It happens to the best of them. Even the most brilliant minds of our time have had their theories proven wrong in time.
But not GM and its engineers, right

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Another nine second club bromance seeker
I'm sure you are aware of this bromance as well ……. but it doesn't seem to concern you ….. why ??

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Some would rather trust an honest man who puts his business on the line with what he recommends. Many would not trust GM as much. GM has a record of screwing us ZO6 owners not too mention past and recent debacles where their customers are killed. Richard on the other hand does not have any such horrible history.

DH
What's the matter Howie, don't you know that if a company has deep pockets, that they can't possibly be wrong?

Long standing multi-million dollar companies are never wrong.

You know I look at some of the ramblings with the laughing emoticons, and I know that I'm either looking at a feeble attempt at ridicule, which of course won't work and is the sign of a desperate attempt to stake a position by getting others to jump on the bandwagon. An attempt at bandwagon effect, or if I'm looking at a case of pseudobulbar effect.

But either way, an attempt at bandwagon effect, or a genuine case of pseudobulbar effect I don't let that detract from my question as to how one knows which professional is right?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
It is interesting, but sadly it is wrong.

The whole concept of a sodium filled valve is to move heat further up the length of the stem, away from the head of the valve. The quote above has it exactly backwards... in fact, the solid stem valve will let heat concentrate near the head. I would be wary about taking valve selection advice from someone who got such a basic concept so completely wrong.

Following graphic from Manley, regarding heat distribution on a hollow sodium valve versus a solid titanium valve:

That would be if everything in that valve is up too snuff and working as designed. So your ***-uming that this factory exhaust valve is of great quality and is nothing wrong with it externally or internally for that matter??

Last edited by ramairws6; 04-27-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

But not GM and its engineers, right

DH
You have proof of an engineering problem? Im all ears.

How about you stick to the facts rather than sensationalism.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Really??? Maybe you should go back and edit your post if you don't believe what you wrote:

"Even the most brilliant minds of our time have had their theories proven wrong in time."

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Really??? Maybe you should go back and edit your post if you don't believe what you wrote:

"Even the most brilliant minds of our time have had their theories proven wrong in time."

DH

So in demonstration of your superior engineering, you pulled the windshield from your car towing it off the track!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM
JWingo
Pro

Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
JWingo
Pro

Originally Posted by ramairws6
As stated, intake valves have failed because of poor stem quality and or finish from the factory in turn wears the guide. Which again, is a issue right from the factory. Can we say pure quality control issues!? Even the almighty Katech changes these out in their build while Richard tumble polishes them.

You really "have no clue".
Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see that you acknowledge the SS valve is safer to use

DH
I was being very generous, but I guess IF your guides are completely shot there's a slim possibility the SS valve might be safer assuming PTV contact or any of a number of other issues don't bite you in the a$$. That said, if a cylinder head expert NEEDS such a crutch why on earth would you let him work on your sh*t to begin with? He's basically putting a substandard part in your engine because he can't figure out what the source of the problem is...not exactly confidence inspiring to me, but if you're okay with it, good for you, I just happen to have a higher standard

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JWingo

So in demonstration of your superior engineering, you pulled the windshield from your car towing it off the track!
Wow!! This is coming from so far out in left field I have to wonder if you actually read posts and replies

BTW: My windshield had 140K miles and almost 6 years of track day. You could barely see out of it. Now I have a new one and a tow hook as well. I guess that makes me a superior engineer now :yes nod:

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I was being very generous, but I guess IF your guides are completely shot there's a slim possibility the SS valve might be safer assuming PTV contact or any of a number of other issues don't bite you in the a$$. That said, if a cylinder head expert NEEDS such a crutch why on earth would you let him work on your sh*t to begin with? He's basically putting a substandard part in your engine because he can't figure out what the source of the problem is...not exactly confidence inspiring to me, but if you're okay with it, good for you, I just happen to have a higher standard

Cheers, Paul.
Your generosity and back peddling are understandable :yes nod:

DH
Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Soooo anyway.... is American Heritage the only place to get the Ferrea hollow stemmers?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
Soooo anyway.... is American Heritage the only place to get the Ferrea hollow stemmers?
I have seen in here that both Carlos at Vette Air, and WCCH will accommodate owners if that's what the owner wants.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P

Old 04-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I have seen in here that both Carlos at Vette Air, and WCCH offer them if that's what the owner wants.
Cool thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced everything in my heads with ferrea parts .

Both valves , retainers , dual springs and guides with yella terra shaft mounted rockers .

I race the hell out of my car and shift at 7500 and have not had a problem with any of the Ferrea stuff .
Old 04-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zoomz
I replaced everything in my heads with ferrea parts .

Both valves , retainers , dual springs and guides with yella terra shaft mounted rockers .

I race the hell out of my car and shift at 7500 and have not had a problem with any of the Ferrea stuff .
Solid or hollow exhaust valves? 7500rpm ……. I thought the motor is supposed to imp load ????

Where do you race

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running Ferrea hollow stemmed exhaust valves? F2042P