Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] clunking sound coming from rear end/ tranny area

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 AM
shlagher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking sound coming from rear end/ tranny area

I have a clunking sound coming from the rear end/ tranny area of the car ONLY when I am pulling out, at low speed in a tight turn,forward or reverse. For example, pulling out of a parking space. No other problems with the car, no noises at speed in turns or straight line. My car is an 06 z06, 40k miles. Anyone else have this problem or no a cause?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM
GP4L
Intermediate

It's probably just the limited slip locking up a little bit. Pretty common with clutch type LSD. Tight turns = significant left/right wheel speed difference. A differential allows the wheels to spin at different speeds. A clutch type LSD starts "locking" up as the difference between the L/R output shaft increases, which is supposed to equalize the L/R wheel speed.

Have you ever noticed it before? Usually big wide tires will overpower the clutch packs inside the diff in situations where very little or no torque is being delivered, and you wont have clunking/scrubbing.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 AM
4vettezo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also may want to check the rear end fluid. The stuff from the factory didn't work too well. My 06 had a thumping sound and had the fluid changed and the clunk went away but on a tight turn still had some noise even in my 13Z.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

My '06 also does this. I plan on checking the axle nuts on the hubs to see if they've loosened up.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
"NO SHOW"
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing when I bought it, change the rear dif fluid. After I changed the dif fluid the noise went away.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Most likely it's the stabilizer bar links. Stockers do not last very long at all. I used a set of Moog steel replacements. You might as well get all four corners done. BTW, the links are the same for all four, Moog #K750136
Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 AM
shlagher
Instructor

Thanks guys, I think it is the LSD, that makes sense being that it is only in the tight very slow turns. I red a few other places where people have changed fluid and it went away, I will try that and go from there!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:53 AM
MLMike25
Instructor

I am currently having this same issue (also on an 06 Z). The rear makes an annoying clunking noise whenever turning at low speeds... essentially when the RPM's are low. If I rev it a bit, the clunking disappears.

The dealership told me that if changing the fluid doesn't resolve the issue (it did not), the problem is the "clutch packs" (whatever that means) as GP4L mentioned above... and they said that it's probably $1000+ bucks to fix. They claimed that it won't actually "break" anything if I don't get it fixed, but it'll continue to be annoying.

GP4L, your response is in line with what I've heard. What do you recommend for a fix?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 PM
MLMike25
Instructor

Bump for an answer?

Get notified of new replies

To clunking sound coming from rear end/ tranny area

Quick Reply: [Z06] clunking sound coming from rear end/ tranny area