Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Heads & Cam Results and Impression

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 PM
jnel04
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Heads & Cam Results and Impression

Huge thanks to the following:
- Gotjuice? (Arnold) for the meticulous and perfect install and advice. (and for catching a miss-manufactured lifter!)
- Corey at Henderson Performance Technologies for the tune/emergency parts/advice
- Carlos at Vette Air for the heads/headers
- CF members for providing a TON of information. This would have been impossible without the collective dissemination of knowledge on this board

This is 2006 that made ~430 rwhp stock (almost perfectly 15% drivetrain loss), added Halltech 103 + Corey Henderson Tune and made 479/445.

I wanted to get in front of the valve situation and gave consideration to a ton of strategies. I almost went with the Katech TiMo setup but couldn't justify the cost for my intended use. Almost did just the guides and milling but didn't want to mess with buying someone's heads and selling mine. Decided that adding a cam was something I should do now since I've always wanted a cammed Corvette (see my member since date...not sure if I even had my drivers license when I joined) and I don't have kids eating up all my resources.

I gave consideration to:
- Katech Torquer 116, 110, custom grind Torquer, and the new K501
- Ragin Racin Stalker and Lethal
- Lethal Phantom
- Texas Speed LS7S
- CMS custom grind 231/247

A forum member graciously allowed me to drive his T116 car and I found it difficult to even detect the cam. The T116 might be the perfect cam for some, but I wanted some 'wow-factor', which the T116 was missing.

Eventually settled on the off-the-shelf comp 231/247 113. I knew a priori that drivability was going to suffer a bit going with a 13 degree overlap cam and was willing to accept that.

Build ended up being:
- Intake: Halltech MF103
- Heads: WCCH-X heads (from Vette-Air) milled 0.025
- SS valves w/ BT dual springs
- Cam: 231/247 0.653/0.660 113 (281LRR HR13) off the shelf from Comp
- Headers: 1 7/8" American Racing Headers w/ Cats
- Exhaust: ZR1 axle back

Ended up with 557 rwhp and 492 rwtq. There was another ZO6 at HPT today with a more aggressive custom grind cam (from a different shop), FAST 102 & NW 102...IIRC I made 2 more whp up top, his had ~10 more rwtq/hp from 4500-6200. Corey said that the drivability of my car was far, far better than the custom grind car. Make sure you know what you're getting when you go with a custom grind...

Impression:
I'm very impressed. I'm very happy with the torque curve and the way the power ramps up steadily from 4k to 7k. The cam has a nice lope, will rock a bit from time to time at idle (not irritating in the least), and will wake everyone within 2 miles with the exhaust valves open. I can take 5th down to about 40 mph at steady throttle before there is some light surging. 6th gear is good to about 55-60 mph. I ran into stop and go construction traffic and parking lot situations today and it performed flawlessly.

The sound at WOT is absolutely addictive. It sounds like a different car above 3500 rpm [scream]. The only downside to the new-found power is that 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd (depending on road surface) are not stomp-on-it gears anymore. The freeways can be kind of slick here - I got wheelspin today in 3rd gear at 70mph on one section without trying. Got on some grippy asphalt though and hooked 3rd gear from 60 to [more], what a rush!

Hopefully I don't blow through the tires too soon...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jnel04
- Gotjuice? (Arnold) for the meticulous and perfect install and advice. (and for catching a miss-manufactured lifter!)
- Corey at Henderson Performance Technologies for the tune/emergency parts/advice
- CF members for providing a TON of information. This would have been impossible without the collective dissemination of knowledge on this board

This is 2006 that made ~430 rwhp stock (almost perfectly 15% drivetrain loss), added Halltech 103 + Corey Henderson Tune and made 479/445.

I wanted to get in front of the valve situation and gave consideration to a ton of strategies. I almost went with the Katech TiMo setup but couldn't justify the cost for my intended use. Almost did just the guides and milling but didn't want to mess with buying someone's heads and selling mine. Decided that adding a cam was something I should do now since I've always wanted a cammed Corvette (see my member since date...not sure if I even had my drivers license when I joined) and I don't have kids eating up all my resources.

I gave consideration to:
- Lethal Phantom
- Texas Speed LS7S

A forum member graciously allowed me to drive his T116 car and I found it difficult to even detect the cam. The T116 might be the perfect cam for some, but I wanted some 'wow-factor', which the T116 was missing.

Eventually settled on the off-the-shelf comp 231/247 113. I knew a priori that drivability was going to suffer a bit going with a 13 degree overlap cam and was willing to accept that.

Build ended up being:

Ended up with 557 rwhp and 492 rwtq. There was another ZO6 at HPT today with a more aggressive custom grind cam (from a different shop), FAST 102 & NW 102...IIRC I made 2 more whp up top, his had ~10 more rwtq/hp from 4500-6200. Corey said that the drivability of my car was far, far better than the custom grind car. Make sure you know what you're getting when you go with a custom grind...

Impression:
I'm very impressed. I'm very happy with the torque curve and the way the power ramps up steadily from 4k to 7k. The cam has a nice lope, will rock a bit from time to time at idle (not irritating in the least), and will wake everyone within 2 miles with the exhaust valves open. I can take 5th down to about 40 mph at steady throttle before there is some light surging. 6th gear is good to about 55-60 mph. I ran into stop and go construction traffic and parking lot situations today and it performed flawlessly.

The sound at WOT is absolutely addictive. It sounds like a different car above 3500 rpm [scream]. The only downside to the new-found power is that 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd (depending on road surface) are not stomp-on-it gears anymore. The freeways can be kind of slick here - I got wheelspin today in 3rd gear at 70mph on one section without trying. Got on some grippy asphalt though and hooked 3rd gear from 60 to [more], what a rush!

Congrats.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

nice!! similar numbers to what I would like to see. My powertrain warranty ends in Jan. I think this winter will be "head fix" along with cam and supporting goodies.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by C6z06man
nice!! similar numbers to what I would like to see. My powertrain warranty ends in Jan. I think this winter will be "head fix" along with cam and supporting goodies.
Please let me know if we can help when the time comes. We always run and & off sales especially in the winter...just keep an eye out or PM me when ready so I can alert you of any upcoming deals and save you some dinero.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I gave consideration to:
- Lethal Phantom
- Texas Speed LS7S

Build ended up being:

Impression:

NICE!!!!

Now you can beat on it without worrying about dropping a valve and such

Thanks again for allowing us to serve you.

Carlos
Old 05-05-2014, 11:03 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Please let me know if we can help when the time comes. We always run and & off sales especially in the winter...just keep an eye out or PM me when ready so I can alert you of any upcoming deals and save you some dinero.

Thanks,
Carlos
Thanks Carlos,
Already have the Widow-R can picked out. Definitely what I want to do. By far my favorite cam that I have found. Just waiting until I can pull the heads and do the cam all at the same time. Next winter seems like the best time to do it!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 PM
jnel04
Racer

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
NICE!!!!

Now you can beat on it without worrying about dropping a valve and such

Thanks again for allowing us to serve you.

Carlos
Thanks for all your help, Carlos, it is much appreciated!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Nice!!

Looks like yet another WCCH and SS valved build

How did your guy detect the bad lifter? Was it a new OEM lifter?

You going to track this monster?

DH
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Very nice. I got very similar results with my H/C setup. I wanted a moderate setup and nothing too crazy on the cam. I went with a 234/246 .612/.598 on 115. Car drives fine in low RPM's.

Mine pulled 556/503 SAE. We have very similar mods.

Man the car is a blast to drive around!!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear that the drivability on your custom grind is doing very well. Mine is very similar to yours(233/245 .652/.635 113+3) can't wait to get mine from the shop.

Congrats!!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM
jnel04
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Nice!!

Looks like yet another WCCH and SS valved build

How did your guy detect the bad lifter? Was it a new OEM lifter?

You going to track this monster?

DH
We were planning on re-using the stock lifters. Arnold took the stock ones out and put them in a box during disassembly. When he went to put them back in the engine on buildup he noticed a roller laying in the box. It looks like the roller pin was only pressed on one side. You could push against the pin from one side and it wouldn't budge, but push from the other side and it slid right out. We flipped the pin 180° and same result, on the other side.

My eventual plan is to do some HPDE and open road races, but I'm probably sticking with mile races until I get new brakes and tires.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
jnel04
Racer

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
Good to hear that the drivability on your custom grind is doing very well. Mine is very similar to yours(233/245 .652/.635 113+3) can't wait to get mine from the shop.

Congrats!!
Enjoy, its a blast!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 AM
amdoverclocker
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in a similar boat. I choose the K501 instead. Getting it tuned tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice review and good numbers!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Enjoy your new power!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

We were planning on re-using the stock lifters. Arnold took the stock ones out and put them in a box during disassembly. When he went to put them back in the engine on buildup he noticed a roller laying in the box. It looks like the roller pin was only pressed on one side. You could push against the pin from one side and it wouldn't budge, but push from the other side and it slid right out. We flipped the pin 180° and same result, on the other side.

My eventual plan is to do some HPDE and open road races, but I'm probably sticking with mile races until I get new brakes and tires.
Wow. Good that wasn't reinstalled.

I'm sure mile is fun but road racing is a blast for 20-30 minutes without stopping.

DH
Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

What were the corrected numbers? Uncorrected STD numbers like yours tend to be a bit inflated. SAE corrected is the norm.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads & Cam Results and Impression

Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 PM
jnel04
Racer

Thanks for the responses, all. I'm counting the seconds till I can leave my desk and go for a ride!

Originally Posted by Undy
What were the corrected numbers? Uncorrected STD numbers like yours tend to be a bit inflated. SAE corrected is the norm.
I don't know, I personally never put much trust in any dyno numbers since there is so much variability in terms of dyno setup, weather, operator, "tricks", etc...

I'll try to get out to the strip sometime soon to see what she does, but it probably won't be impressive on my run flats. I'm going to miss the wannagofast event this summer, but I'll probably go to Texas mile in October to really stretch her legs.

I'd think these numbers would be pretty accurate considering I did 430 rwhp there stock last year in similar weather.

Anyway, I'll ask Corey for the SAE corrected numbers.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:14 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good job but I think it's still need more HP's cause I want accept less than 600 with H/C setup.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:07 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the responses, all. I'm counting the seconds till I can leave my desk and go for a ride!

I don't know, I personally never put much trust in any dyno numbers since there is so much variability in terms of dyno setup, weather, operator, "tricks", etc...

I'll try to get out to the strip sometime soon to see what she does, but it probably won't be impressive on my run flats. I'm going to miss the wannagofast event this summer, but I'll probably go to Texas mile in October to really stretch her legs.

I'd think these numbers would be pretty accurate considering I did 430 rwhp there stock last year in similar weather.

Anyway, I'll ask Corey for the SAE corrected numbers.
Sounds right mine was a 08 on a mustang-dyno,which are usually lower #. I did similar parts except a nw 102 on a fast 102. I took pictures since it was my first mod. I had 18% at 411 or 16,5% at 421
Attached Images    

Last edited by ToppThat; 05-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Heads & Cam Results and Impression