Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New first-time corvette owner + American Heritage experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:07 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New first-time corvette owner + American Heritage experience

I figured I should do an introduction since I’ve been lurking on this forum for about 9 months now and have used SO much of the great knowledge I’ve gained from this forum.

After researching the C6Z06 for many months, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 down in the Saint Louis, MO area. I’m from South Dakota, so my options are limited up here (land of cows, trucks, and minivans.) I drove the 10 hours to St Louis with a trailer and picked it up about a month ago (turns out it’s not all that easy to get on a trailer.) Once home, I drove the car twice and then, as much as it pained me to do it, I pulled it in the garage and tore the heads off. I don’t want to fire up the whole debate on heads/valve guides, etc. But, for me, I felt like I should simply have the heads re-worked right away and get it over with. I didn’t have any history on the past owner, so I wanted to see things for myself.

I followed the excellent Sticky on cylinder head removal, added a few gallons of sweat, a plethora of various curse words, and eventually shipped the heads off to Kohle at American Heritage Performance. After discussing with him, I opted for his LS7 package #4 along with the upgraded springs, retainers, etc.

While waiting for the heads to come back, I ordered new plugs, ARP head bolts, Comp Cams trunion kit, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, New Rotors, Carbotech pads, and new MLS GM gaskets. I also decided to do the muffler mod by welding up the inner perforated pipes. It was a busy couple of weeks in the garage.

So, here’s what I learned:
  • Kohle at American Heritage Performance was GREAT to work with. He was responsive, knowledgeable, and did great work for a great price. I wouldn’t hesitate to seek his advice or services on any future work. I just wish I was closer to his shop. I’d send the car to him for everything.
  • The exhaust mod was incredible. I love the sound. However, without access to a lift, getting the exhaust out proved to be a lot trickier than I had anticipated. I normally have access to two lifts, but because I had the heads off, and the car already up on stands, I couldn’t take it to them. With the car on a lift, I think the exhaust removal would be SO much easier.
  • I hate the power steering pump bolts more than any person could reasonably hate inanimate objects.
  • The car fired up on the first try and purred like a kitten after the heads went back on. Ok, less like a kitten and more like a lion. Ok, less like a lion and more like a T-Rex.
  • There’s a ton of great information in this forum that proved to be extremely valuable. To all new members, keep searching the existing posts; everything you’d ever want to know is probably in here.
  • To anyone looking to do the head swap themselves, I’d rate this 8.5 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. It’s more tedious and time-consuming than anything. Be careful, label everything, and take pictures so it goes back together in a couple weeks. Doing this work on an engine on a stand is a cakewalk. Doing all this while hunched over your fenders will destroy your back and leave you sore.
  • I came from owning a Nissan 350Z. So, this is a huge change in power and feel. I still have a soft spot for the “other” Z cars… …since I held on to my old 300zx for a fun little autoX project (VH45de…) But, the Z06 is an entirely different animal. I’m really glad to be part of this community.

I spend my free time working on side projects with a good friend of mine. Normally, I’d use his garage for all this work, but we have been a little busy lately, as you can see in the very last photo. (Fun fact: every car in this shot has a GM V8 in it…the 2nd gen Rx7 has a twin turbo LQ9 and the 3rd gen has an LS1)
Attached Images     
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car!! Why no cam, or other bolt on goodies?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by veilseven
[...] I followed the excellent Sticky on cylinder head removal, added a few gallons of sweat, a plethora of various curse words [...]
Ah, the key ingredient for any DIY endeavor... apply liberally and directly to the offending part

On the P.S. pump bolts, just take the hood off. Then lean over the front bumper and they're right there (after you bungee cord the ABS unit out of the way for better clearance).

Congrats on the purchase and the job well done
Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice post! Why no Cam while you were in there? I plan on taking my car AH to get the wiggle test done to check that my heads are still in spec. I already have ported heads/SS valves but stock guides...
Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Nice post! Why no Cam while you were in there? I plan on taking my car AH to get the wiggle test done to check that my heads are still in spec. I already have ported heads/SS valves but stock guides...
To be perfectly honest, I would have loved to have done cam, headers, and tune. But, the biggest reason is the fact that my pocketbook was awfully light after purchasing the car only a couple weeks before doing all that The head setup should be good for a mild cam next summer...Can't wait.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

What a great feeling when all that sweat pays off!!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

To be perfectly honest, I would have loved to have done cam, headers, and tune. But, the biggest reason is the fact that my pocketbook was awfully light after purchasing the car only a couple weeks before doing all that The head setup should be good for a mild cam next summer...Can't wait.
It will give you some time to figure out what you want exactly and something to look forward to. Also you did the most important mod first so now you can have peace of mind and not worry about blowing your motor up
Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I figured I should do an introduction since I’ve been lurking on this forum for about 9 months now and have used SO much of the great knowledge I’ve gained from this forum.

After researching the C6Z06 for many months, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2007 down in the Saint Louis, MO area. I’m from South Dakota, so my options are limited up here (land of cows, trucks, and minivans.) I drove the 10 hours to St Louis with a trailer and picked it up about a month ago (turns out it’s not all that easy to get on a trailer.) Once home, I drove the car twice and then, as much as it pained me to do it, I pulled it in the garage and tore the heads off. I don’t want to fire up the whole debate on heads/valve guides, etc. But, for me, I felt like I should simply have the heads re-worked right away and get it over with. I didn’t have any history on the past owner, so I wanted to see things for myself.

Good move, and congrats on the new car.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:46 PM
JUSTAC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had enough ***** to do my own head swap, I think I would be comfortable removing but not installing...

congrats btw
Old 06-03-2014, 04:34 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

What was the hard part of the power steering pump? I keep hearing people saying how hard it is, but when I did mine, I had no problems. Not trying to brag, but it's making me wonder if I left something out!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM
veilseven
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
What was the hard part of the power steering pump? I keep hearing people saying how hard it is, but when I did mine, I had no problems. Not trying to brag, but it's making me wonder if I left something out!
In retrospect, it wasn't the hardest thing ever. I think it just surprised me that it took more than about 60 seconds, which is what I had expected it to take. Now that I've seen how it bolts up and where the bolts are, it wouldn't be too bad to do it all over again.

For me, it was just that first time, not knowing where they were, spinning that little pulley around with one hand, blindly feeling for bolts. Then, trying to fit my hand down in there with a dozen various combinations of different sockets and adapters to get one to line up with the bolt and still allow me to turn them out of there. I was probably overly worried about bending some of those brake lines at the ABS module also. I was trying really hard not to put too much pressure on any of those.

Those bolts were cursed at a lot. They know what they did...They won't be so stubborn next time...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy the z!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

After I took my power steering pump off I too wondered why everyone complains about it. There are much more difficult steps, especially during a cam swap. The oil pump was probably my least favorite. The balancer can be a little hairy too.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Removing the stock manifolds can also be a royal pita especially without a lift.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM
021z
Instructor

Very nice job and great looking Z. I am in the same boat right now and just want the piece of mind ( and more power). AH is looking like a great option and thanks for posting your story. I also really like the community here, good guys and lots of info.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:45 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Great Post!!! Thank you!

A tip on the power steering pump: If all your doing is R&R the cylinder heads you do not need to remove the pump from the vehicle. Just unbolt the p/s bracket from the passenger head/block and push it forward (tword the radiator). Pump stays on the the bracket. To get the bracket off us a 15mm open wrench. 1/4 turn at a time on each bolt and off it comes.

If anyone has any questions regarding our cylinder head reworking please shoot us a PM/email or give us a call. Also for you DIY guys we offer support as part of the sale when you purchase your reworked cylinder heads from us. This means if your doing it yourself and run into any areas where you have questions we are only a phone call away (support).

Get notified of new replies

To New first-time corvette owner + American Heritage experience

Quick Reply: [Z06] New first-time corvette owner + American Heritage experience