Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hell Widow Cam and WCCH Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:47 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Hell Widow Cam and WCCH Setup

I finally got my car all back together so I thought I'd share some of the results. I picked this car up about 2 months ago and it had 14.5k miles on it at the time. I put about 800 miles on it before tearing it apart. Good thing I did because my guides were out of spec.

Setup:
WCCH/Vette-air Stage 2 heads (11.8-12.0:1)
Bronze guides, REV exhaust valves, BTR dual springs
Vette-air Hell Widow Cam
Halltech 107R
New stock LS7 rockers and lifters
K5R Timing Chain
BTR 7.75 pushrods
ARP head bolts
160 deg Tstat
Stock exhaust, intake, and TB

So far I love the setup. The new found power and sound is great. The first startup went great, except for a dead battery.... I was very surprised how well the car idled with the stock tune. I put some easy miles on it prior to tuning to make sure everything was solid and aside from some bucking and rough starting, the car ran quite well. My buddy has since worked on the tune on the street and WOT is pretty much worked out, but we haven't made any progress on driveability. The first few seconds of startup are rough and there is some bucking below 2k RPM in high gear, but it's not too bad. I'm hopeful we'll be able to improve on these things. We plan to get it on the dyno early next week to optimize WOT a little further. Right now AFR is about 12.2 and timing is about 20. More timing was giving us blips of KR. I'm curious to see what the car responds to while on the dyno.

In regards to the cam, I am very happy with my choice thus far. It is a pretty choppy idle and certainly shakes the car around at idle, which I like. The car is quite loud at the rear (not too loud), but very tame in front of the car and in the cabin. In fact my wife said "oh I thought it was going to be louder" haha. The sound really isn't that different inside while cruising around, which was a bit of a surprise. I was considering getting a mild to wild setup, but don't feel the need to with the stock exhaust. I don't think I would ever want the baffles closed. I thought the valvetrain was going to be louder than it is so I'm happy about that. It is certainly louder than stock though and you can notice it at times with the windows down.

Next up is new front tires so I can make my 4 hour trip next weekend to a car show.

Here's a video of the first start-up with baffles open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4s...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by rio95; 06-20-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:31 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95
I finally got my car all back together so I thought I'd share some of the results. I picked this car up about 2 months ago and it had 14.5k miles on it at the time. I put about 800 miles on it before tearing it apart. Good thing I did because my guides were out of spec.

Setup:
WCCH/Vette-air Stage 2 heads
Vette-air Hell Widow Cam
Halltech 107R
BTR 7.75 pushrods
ARP head bolts
160 deg Tstat

So far I love the setup. The new found power and sound is great. The first startup went great, except for a dead battery.... I was very surprised how well the car idled with the stock tune. I put some easy miles on it prior to tuning to make sure everything was solid and aside from some bucking and rough starting, the car ran quite well. My buddy has since worked on the tune on the street and WOT is pretty much worked out, but we haven't made any progress on driveability. The first few seconds of startup are rough and there is some bucking below 2k RPM in high gear, but it's not too bad. I'm hopeful we'll be able to improve on these things. We plan to get it on the dyno early next week to optimize WOT a little further. Right now AFR is about 12.2 and timing is about 20. More timing was giving us blips of KR. I'm curious to see what the car responds to while on the dyno.

In regards to the cam, I am very happy with my choice thus far. It is a pretty choppy idle and certainly shakes the car around at idle, which I like. The car is quite loud at the rear (not too loud), but very tame in front of the car and in the cabin. In fact my wife said "oh I thought it was going to be louder" haha. The sound really isn't that different inside while cruising around, which was a bit of a surprise. I was considering getting a mild to wild setup, but don't feel the need to with the stock exhaust. I don't think I would ever want the baffles closed. I thought the valvetrain was going to be louder than it is so I'm happy about that. It is certainly louder than stock though and you can notice it at times with the windows down.

Next up is new front tires so I can make my 4 hour trip next weekend to a car show.

Congrats on the finished project.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice work! under the hood sounds quite....what where's the headers!?

Last edited by Z06 Steve; 06-20-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That Leman's Blue looks amazing. Love the blue interior lights as well. Congrats.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM
JUSTAC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I can't wait to see what it does on then dyno. I just want to start with heads and am then add a blower... Oem exhaust all the way back.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rio95

Setup:
WCCH/Vette-air Stage 2 heads
Vette-air Hell Widow Cam
Halltech 107R
BTR 7.75 pushrods
ARP head bolts
160 deg Tstat

It is possible that the dynamic compression is way too high. there are a lot of variables that go into measuring that and I hope you or someone else did this. I have seen this happen many times. The LS7 motor is very touchy and on pump gas you wont get timing and have to run it too rich to cool the combustion enough not to get KR if the DCR is too high. Put it on race gas and it will be fine and take timing but you are not going to run the car on C16 daily. This is the first thing to look at. get the cam specs and hopefully you know your piston to deck height in order to get and accurate DCR. Plus you need to know the combustion chamber volume and gasket thickness. You can get you dynamic stroke and dynamic compression with all this info.

The reason I mention this is because it happened to me recently and it is because I messed up in my original calculations of DCR and ordered the wrong head gaskets so now thicker ones are going on it to drop it down since it was nearly 8.8:1 which is too high for 91 octane even with torco. The crappyness of heavily oxygenated fuel is not changed in that regard with torco. it is still garbage fuel although the torco can help and I am sure it did since I doubt we would have gotten even 18 degrees at peak torque without it. For a street car on pump you want it right around 8.4-8.5 unless you have 93 octane then you can get away with a little more. CA 91 is just horrible gas though. Not sure what you have where you live.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:42 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
It is possible that the dynamic compression is way too high. there are a lot of variables that go into measuring that and I hope you or someone else did this. I have seen this happen many times. The LS7 motor is very touchy and on pump gas you wont get timing and have to run it too rich to cool the combustion enough not to get KR if the DCR is too high. Put it on race gas and it will be fine and take timing but you are not going to run the car on C16 daily. This is the first thing to look at. get the cam specs and hopefully you know your piston to deck height in order to get and accurate DCR. Plus you need to know the combustion chamber volume and gasket thickness. You can get you dynamic stroke and dynamic compression with all this info.

The reason I mention this is because it happened to me recently and it is because I messed up in my original calculations of DCR and ordered the wrong head gaskets so now thicker ones are going on it to drop it down since it was nearly 8.8:1 which is too high for 91 octane even with torco. The crappyness of heavily oxygenated fuel is not changed in that regard with torco. it is still garbage fuel although the torco can help and I am sure it did since I doubt we would have gotten even 18 degrees at peak torque without it. For a street car on pump you want it right around 8.4-8.5 unless you have 93 octane then you can get away with a little more. CA 91 is just horrible gas though. Not sure what you have where you live.
If Carlos see's this thread, perhaps he will comment on this. I'm not the first guy with this setup so I doubt this is an issue.

Luckily, we have 93 octane up here in Michigan

Last edited by rio95; 06-21-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

got E85 for beast mode?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Freebird427
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It didnt sound like that when I drove it.... : )

Congrats on the build !

FB
Old 06-21-2014, 12:17 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Freebird427
It didnt sound like that when I drove it.... : )

Congrats on the build !

FB
You drove my car?!!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:20 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06 Steve
got E85 for beast mode?
That was the original plan but I changed my mind last minute. I go on a 4 hour one way trip every year where e85 is not available so it's always a pita for the e85 guys. I figured with this compression I could go either way.

Last edited by rio95; 06-22-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Car sounds and looks great man please keep us posted with the dyno & 1/4 numbers...
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Well I finally got it on the dyno and I'm happy with the results. It made 552/517 (corrected). That's pretty good considering this was on a mustang dyno in terrible weather. Keep in mind I have stock exhaust, intake, TB, and injectors. The car responded very well to timing. A 2 deg bump resulted in about 20 rwhp. The compression was keeping us from running more timing as we were getting two small blips of KR on a few of the runs. I think a little 110 or E85 would make a huge difference on this setup. We're hoping the addition of headers and ditching the stock cats will make the car a little more resistant to knock and allow us to get a touch more aggressive on AFR and timing.

Last edited by rio95; 06-26-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

I think headers would be huge on this combo!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Headers, Ported Fast and a NW 102 would net you some nice power gains thats for sure.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Headers, Ported Fast and a NW 102 would net you some nice power gains thats for sure.
^^^^ You should be at 600+ rwhp with these mods. Even on a Mustang dyno.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Could run a meth setup, that steps the timing up a little when it is active, and leaves it the way it is, when it isn't spraying. This way, you aren't forced to run it if it isn't available, or wanted.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:21 PM
SpartanSupps
Racer

2 year old thread but I am about to put this combo in plus the NW TB and FAST intake, LG LT Headers, high flow cats. Going flex fuel e85 to 91octane 725cc Injector Dynamics w/ Kenne Bell boost a pump.
Cannot wait for this to be done and get on the dyno. Engine being overhauled.
Mantic 9000 and LG carbon driveshaft going in as well.
Should have numbers Early July!
Cheers fellas, I will post the dyno sheet up once I have it.

Get notified of new replies

To Hell Widow Cam and WCCH Setup

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hell Widow Cam and WCCH Setup