Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My LS7 442 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 AM
SHovV
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My LS7 442 Build

I’ve decided to finally start a build thread now that I have a pretty solid game plan laid out. I’ve had a real basic, dreamy idea of how and what I’ve wanted to build ever since I got the car, and it’s finally starting to come together.

So for the last few months, I've been savin my pennies, picking 'em up when I see 'em on the ground and living off of bread and water, with a ramen noodle here 'n there. Sometimes I'll splurge on beans and rice and tortillas. I've been researchin the living hell out of stuff for-fkn-ever now, talkin auto guru's ears off, and have finally came up with a pretty solid parts / build list which I've been gathering little by little. My plan right now is to get the short block together and use my current stock cube H/C/I/E combo, get it back on the road and then begin round after round of upgrade, continue researching, talk more ears off and tediously document and dyno every change and upgrade, as well as tracking the car.

My goal is to leave absolutely no stone unturned, extract every singe last feasible, conceivable, imaginable ounce of horsepower from this thing while still being able to cruise the hell out of this thing. It'll get drivin to and from the track, Laredo, RGV, Houston, work, all over the damn place. I'm building one of the baddest, most unique NA / N2O LS7's out there. NA, we're shooting for a LEGIT 650+ rwhp from this thing, which I thing is doable, with the backing and support from my wife and Volatile Performance.

Here's what I have so far.

-Wiseco forged pistons, which will be fully coated.

-Callies Dragon Slayer 4.125 stroke crank

-Callies Billet rods

-ARP main studs

-Monster twin disc clutch rated for 1,000+ hp

The short block is pretty much ready to go back together, though I may send the block out to be sleeved first. I don't need to, but I kind of figure why not at this point lol. Motor will end up at 442ci. Planning on high SC / DC on 93 with race fuel for the nitrous stand alone.

Future plans are :

-Aviaid custom stage 3 dry sump

-Katech blue oil pump

-F.A.S.T. 102 combo

-Custom fuel system : when needed

-Induction Solutions Direct Port

-Custom N2O standalone tank

-Volatile Performance custom cam

-Custom ported LS7 heads. From the research I've done so far, people I've talked to, I haven't seen any stellar, super amazing, gotta fkn have 'em! results from builds that have used MAST or All Pro heads.

-Stronger DS, MGW, trans / diff bracing, motor / trans mounts / Penske coil overs

-Custom 6pt cage / Kirkeys / 'chute

-Meziere ele. water pump

-I'm also going to look into makin a custom ovalized side exit exhaust like CMS did, that'll exit under the rear break duct thru the rocker panel.

That's about all I can think to post for now. Here's some pictures of the rods, and a mockup of the engine I did in the bedroom. I'll get pics of the crank later, along with more updates as things progress.

Last edited by SHovV; 12-23-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Change in build plans
Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

That will become a monster!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 AM
JUSTAC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the ls7 when bored out for more cubes was made it only strong enough to be NA.

If you sleeved your block who will doing the work?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn.. Thats a lot of pennies!!!!!! Look forward to watching your Dream Z come together....
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Been there myself.....I remember staying home on weekends while my friends were out partying just so I could save for a motor build. Sometimes you just got priorities in life that you need to stay dedicated to and in the end, you'll earn the reward. Great build you got going...love the side exhaust CMS did for FamousRR...sounded so badass but the fab work and relocating the gas tanks is a bit much; however, your build could pull it off nicely.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 AM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alright ShovV! Looking forward to this! I know you've seen my build on tech and looks like have made the right moves to make bigger power than I. For 650 wheel, 1) stay in touch w/ John B, the man who has created the highest HP Ls7 to date on 93. His Monte Carlo put down 680 NA. He's a great source for this build! 2) Your cam is going to have to be huge! My 251/267 (@.50) .701/.670 for my build is just going to crest 600 wheel NA. 3) Exhaust. 1 7/8" is the best size for an NA build, my 2" is over kill, and has cost torque throughout the power band. Also, 3" all the way back and High flow mufflers. 4) I'd look into a sheet metal intake to get to that power level.

Anyway, best of luck! You can do it, the devil is in the details though when taking it to 650 wheel!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTAC6
I thought the ls7 when bored out for more cubes was made it only strong enough to be NA.

Doesn't say anything about boring it. He is running a 4.125 crank for the extra cubes, not boring it. 4.125x4.125 is a ~440ci.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

If you are sleeving you have the option with ERL to go with a 4.185" bore, and with a 4.000" stroke you end up with 440 ci. With this approach, you could use light forged pistons by JE, keep the stock Ti rods (with bronze bushing by Katech) and Callies Magnum crank. This would give you a VERY light and strong bottom end that would allow 7000+ RPM redline with stock rod angles.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:37 PM
JUSTAC6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
If you are sleeving you have the option with ERL to go with a 4.185" bore, and with a 4.000" stroke you end up with 440 ci. With this approach, you could use light forged pistons by JE, keep the stock Ti rods (with bronze bushing by Katech) and Callies Magnum crank. This would give you a VERY light and strong bottom end that would allow 7000+ RPM redline with stock rod angles.
I like it
Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 PM
swordsman
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have very similar built 449 ci motor. It put out 705/620 on engine dyno, 627/545 RW. That was over 2 years ago and I have never regretted the pennies spent, this power, NA in a Z needs to be experienced to understand. I did go RHS/ALL PRO jesel shaft with Ti intakes and SS Ex. With all one has read,to death,about SS Ex valves,my experience has been zero issues with rev limit 7500.I'm running RPS twin carbon clutch and the revs come on like a light switch. WCCH did the heads and to date have performed as Richard said,great guy!! I lost a motor over a dropped stock Ex valve and know how it feels. If you go Hyd lifters,go the Morel/Lunati high revvers,spendy but I think it was a great decision.
I have had nothing but enjoyment with this set up,it even freaks some of my friends that are dedicated drag racers - 8-9 second bracket guys.Enjoy!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 PM
SHovV
Pro

Originally Posted by JUSTAC6

I'm gonna have the shop run a clean up hone thru it, .005 will bring the bore to 4.130. If I have it sleeved, I'll send it to Steve at R.E.D. who is one of the patent holders for Darton Sleeves

Originally Posted by DON T.
Damn.. Thats a lot of pennies!!!!!! Look forward to watching your Dream Z come together....
Me too. Thanks

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald

That will become a monster!
It will. Thanks

Originally Posted by LFZ
Been there myself.....I remember staying home on weekends while my friends were out partying just so I could save for a motor build. Sometimes you just got priorities in life that you need to stay dedicated to and in the end, you'll earn the reward. Great build you got going...love the side exhaust CMS did for FamousRR...sounded so badass but the fab work and relocating the gas tanks is a bit much; however, your build could pull it off nicely.
Yeah, the side exhaust will be the very last thing detail gone over, and it's just for the novelty of it. If it's too complicated the project will get scrapped.

Originally Posted by 427ZM
Alright ShovV! Looking forward to this! I know you've seen my build on tech and looks like have made the right moves to make bigger power than I. For 650 wheel, 1) stay in touch w/ John B, the man who has created the highest HP Ls7 to date on 93. His Monte Carlo put down 680 NA. He's a great source for this build! 2) Your cam is going to have to be huge! My 251/267 (@.50) .701/.670 for my build is just going to crest 600 wheel NA. 3) Exhaust. 1 7/8" is the best size for an NA build, my 2" is over kill, and has cost torque throughout the power band. Also, 3" all the way back and High flow mufflers. 4) I'd look into a sheet metal intake to get to that power level.

Anyway, best of luck! You can do it, the devil is in the details though when taking it to 650 wheel!
Thanks man. I don't plan on even considering a sheet metal intake though. IIRC, that guy made more power with the FAST than w/ the SM intake. I'll definitely check out his build again though.

I won't swap the cam until I have shaft rockers first. I want the whole valve train swapped out at once, plus I plan on needing a shaft setup lol .750 lift will be my limit.

I think the steps will go something like this. Aviaid, FAST combo, head porting, cam / VT, N2O. With the drive train mixed in here and there.

The 2" headers will be a back to back comparison I'll try at some point after the car is 90%+, and it already has 3" all the way out the back. Not to mention I'll be running turn downs off the x pipe for a long time

Originally Posted by Unreal
Doesn't say anything about boring it. He is running a 4.125 crank for the extra cubes, not boring it. 4.125x4.125 is a ~440ci.
Forgot to mention I'm going to have it honed .005.

There's no way I'd consider using the stock rods for what I'm wanting to do. I'm planning on spraying a decent amount of nitrous, and I don't feel like testing the true limits of the LS7's rods.

Originally Posted by swordsman
I have very similar built 449 ci motor. It put out 705/620 on engine dyno, 627/545 RW. That was over 2 years ago and I have never regretted the pennies spent, this power, NA in a Z needs to be experienced to understand. I did go RHS/ALL PRO jesel shaft with Ti intakes and SS Ex. With all one has read, to death, about SS Ex valves,my experience has been zero issues with rev limit 7500.I'm running RPS twin carbon clutch and the revs come on like a light switch. WCCH did the heads and to date have performed as Richard said, great guy!! I lost a motor over a dropped stock Ex valve and know how it feels. If you go Hyd lifters, go the Morel/Lunati high revvers, spendy but I think it was a great decision.
I have had nothing but enjoyment with this set up, it even freaks some of my friends that are dedicated drag racers - 8-9 second bracket guys. Enjoy!
Sounds like a nice setup. I'm hoping the motor makes 750+. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. And I don't plan on taking it past 7500, from everyone I've talked to, that's about where the stock type manifolds stop flowing well. The valve train will be setup to handle that no problem. I always laugh when people on here are warned from going anywhere near 7000+ solely because of the SS exh. valves

Thanks for the compliments everyone
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SHovV

There's no way I'd consider using the stock rods for what I'm wanting to do. I'm planning on spraying a decent amount of nitrous, and I don't feel like testing the true limits of the LS7's rods.
A good dose of nitrous definitely requires a bomb proof bottom end. Let me know what you want for your stock Ti rods.

-Scott
Old 06-22-2014, 12:12 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Whew! for a minute there I thought you were going to put a LS7 into a 442
That would be sacrilege
Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
SHovV
Pro

A good dose of nitrous definitely requires a bomb proof bottom end. Let me know what you want for your stock Ti rods.

-Scott
You have a pm
Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM
SHovV
Pro

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Whew! for a minute there I thought you were going to put a LS7 into a 442
That would be sacrilege
Haha
Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 PM
SHovV
Pro

I made a facebook page that i'll be able to update more regularly if any of you care to like it. I'll still be updating this thread as much as possible though.

Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/themexicutionerz06
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 AM
SHovV
Pro

I made a facebook page that i'll be able to update more regularly if any of you care to like it. I'll still be updating this thread as much as possible though.

Get notified of new replies

To My LS7 442 Build

Old 06-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SHovV

Liked & Following
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM
SHovV
Pro

Thanks dude!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald