Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gm screwup?

Old 07-04-2014, 03:08 PM
MHCvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm screwup?

first let me say ive searched for about an hour and didn't see anything.

I had the "typical" valve guide issue on my z06. So immediately after purchase we yanked the heads and went for a h/c/I setup. I had a little warranty left so I got the dealership to do the labor under warranty and I covered cost of upgrade/aftermarkets. when the heads went on apparently they had one ls7 head gasket and on the other side they ran an ls3(6.0/6.2). we had a lifter go bad(morel 5206) and had to pull the heads at which point this was discovered.

No big deal as there was no serious damage and we caught it before something could go wrong. After ordering proper gaskets I go to take them out of the package and we have the same thing again. They sent one clearly market 7.0 and the other 6.2/6.0. is there something im missing or is this ok per gm spec? once could be any number of errors but twice seems weird. the parts on the invoice show the same part number reflecting the matching ls7 gasket.

thanks in advance
Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
MHCvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any insight?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:57 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I don't the gasket marking indicate the engine application, the LS2/LS3 have a considerably smaller bore size.

LS2 = 4". LS3 = 4.06". LS7 = 4.125"

Basically, if they used the smaller bore size gasket, it would overhang the bore and the firering would not seal.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

IIRC from when i did mine, the head gaskets are the same PN for both sides. someone correct me if i'm wrong. have no idea why you'd get the LS3 gasket. i bought mine from katech and had no issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Gm screwup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Gm screwup?