Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] how many miles on your WCCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Unless they've had the guide clearance checked then those reports will be meaningless. A forum member had 88K miles on his stock heads, no apparent problems, but when he checked the clearance they were way out of spec.

"Running fine", "sounds good", "pulls good", "revs fine", "no apparent problems", without any measurements or inspection none of it means anything.
I'm going to have to agree with this.

There are a lot of cars out there yesterday, which were "running fine", "sounded good", "pulled good", "revved fine", and had "no apparent problems", which either are not running today, or might not be running tomorrow.

Show me a car that popped in here, and more often than not, I'll show you a car that was "running fine", "sounded good", "pulled good", "revved fine", and had "no apparent problems", the day before.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarostar
I'd be happy to conduct this experiment on mine if you guys pool together the money for the heads and cover a new engine if needed. For science!
and we would be happy to install both our PM guide, Bronze guide, OEM factory guide and even a new guide that we are having made just for us that will revolutionize the guide industry. they you can have the heads wiggle tested at an independent facility.

Im all for this, we truly believe our guide is awesome and would love the opportunity to prove it to the community.

ps the longer guide is only used when you have seriouse concerns about heat... basically you don't think your material alone will solve your heat/guide wear issue so you lengthen the guide a little to help out. Its nothing new, used to do it back in the day on some SI engine that were pumping out 1200hp @ 45lbs of boost, the heat was just killing the exh guies, new material and longer guides fixed it. could have probably gone with just a better material but the shop I was working for at the time thought "same material we always use, just more of it" (i.e. longer guide).

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-26-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by American Heritage
and we would be happy to install both our PM guide, Bronze guide, OEM factory guide and even a new guide that we are having made just for us that will revolutionize the guide industry. they you can have the heads wiggle tested at an independent facility.

Im all for this, we truly believe our guide is awesome and would love the opportunity to prove it to the community.

ps the longer guide is only used when you have seriouse concerns about heat... basically you don't think your material alone will solve your heat/guide wear issue so you lengthen the guide a little to help out. Its nothing new, used to do it back in the day on some SI engine that were pumping out 1200hp @ 45lbs of boost, the heat was just killing the exh guies, new material and longer guides fixed it. could have probably gone with just a better material but the shop I was working for at the time thought "same material we always use ( a slight variation of it), just more of it"
Interesting, that part in bold.

Out of respect, and it basically coming down to it being really nobody else's business, I certainly won't, and I sincerely hope that nobody else will, ask what shop that was.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:11 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3000 miles and I've thought about getting them tested just to b on the safe side ,I have ti valves .
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The aftermarket bronze guide that the majority of rebuilders use may very well indeed be better than the factory's OEM PM guide. We recently sent a bunch of guides out to an independent facility to be tested. The Bronze guide was HRC25 (c scale,,,, this is in reference to how hard the metal is... lower number softer metal, higher number harder metal). We sent in a used oem gm ls7 guide that we knocked out of a head, it was HRC10 (c scale)... so in this case yes a bronze guide would be better than gm's oem pm guide. We also had our AHP aftermarket Hardened PM guided tested and it tested HRC40 (c scale). This would mean our hardened PM guide is harder than the factory's PM guide and harder than the aftermarkets bronze guide.
Good info thanks for sharing. A lot has been discussed in regards to the guide material of bronze vs PM but no actual information such as what you posted has been brought to the table. The fact that OEM pm guides were tested and found to be a softer metal than the popular and commonly used bronze guides is very important to the discussion and big news.

I'd bet shops that recommend OEM guides don't have this information. There should be another thread about this so this thread doesn't get off track.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Buy a GMPP and keep it stock if those are options for you..
The car has Kooks headers & Corsa exhaust. The seller said the first engine was replaced not under warranty (at 19,000 miles, in 2011), because the car had been discovered by GM to have been tuned. I don't have a lot of faith a warranty would cover me, and the car is well out of warranty now. I'd rather just spend $2k-$3k to definitively resolve the problem.

If you can't see yourself performing one at least every year at that kind of annual mileage, I'd suggest another vehicle (one without an LS7).
Once a year might be reasonable, if I can find someone who can do it locally - and it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time.

My compromise with myself was if I wasn't going to buy a C7, I was going to buy a widebody C6 in LeMans Blue. I'd have been happy with a Grand Sport, if GM hadn't discontinued LeMans Blue in 2007. I suppose I could have had one repainted for $10k. I also could replace the LS7 in my Z06 with an LS3 for that and be done with this issue.

What I need is an aftermarket/machine shop head package that comes with a reasonable warranty against valvetrain failure. If GM can warranty a new LS7 for 100,000 miles with known bad valve guides, why can't these guys who are selling a "solution" provide a similar warranty?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:55 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
The car has Kooks headers & Corsa exhaust. The seller said the first engine was replaced not under warranty (at 19,000 miles, in 2011), because the car had been discovered by GM to have been tuned. I don't have a lot of faith a warranty would cover me, and the car is well out of warranty now. I'd rather just spend $2k-$3k to definitively resolve the problem.

Once a year might be reasonable, if I can find someone who can do it locally - and it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of time.

My compromise with myself was if I wasn't going to buy a C7, I was going to buy a widebody C6 in LeMans Blue. I'd have been happy with a Grand Sport, if GM hadn't discontinued LeMans Blue in 2007. I suppose I could have had one repainted for $10k. I also could replace the LS7 in my Z06 with an LS3 for that and be done with this issue.

What I need is an aftermarket/machine shop head package that comes with a reasonable warranty against valvetrain failure. If GM can warranty a new LS7 for 100,000 miles with known bad valve guides, why can't these guys who are selling a "solution" provide a similar warranty?
To that part in bold, you likely won't get it.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with this.

There are a lot of cars out there yesterday, which were "running fine", "sounded good", "pulled good", "revved fine", and had "no apparent problems", which either are not running today, or might not be running tomorrow.

Show me a car that popped in here, and more often than not, I'll show you a car that was "running fine", "sounded good", "pulled good", "revved fine", and had "no apparent problems", the day before.
Amen!!

Ran great until it didn't. Went from full throttle roar to Dead Silent except for tire and wind noise very quickly as coolant went through the intake to all the other cylinders.

Bill
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry guys, I'm an idiot. Wasn't thinking. Everything I read is just about stock heads. I just have stock heads with 16k miles on them. Please forgive me.
Dave
Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The 24hr race engine you keep speaking of is/was running a shaft mount roller rocker system (no real side loading of the valve). In this application Bronze is great. Bronze is not the best choice of valve guide material with a non roller tip rocker that causes lots of valve side loading.

The aftermarket bronze guide that the majority of rebuilders use may very well indeed be better than the factory's OEM PM guide. We recently sent a bunch of guides out to an independent facility to be tested. The Bronze guide was HRC25 (c scale,,,, this is in reference to how hard the metal is... lower number softer metal, higher number harder metal). We sent in a used oem gm ls7 guide that we knocked out of a head, it was HRC10 (c scale)... so in this case yes a bronze guide would be better than gm's oem pm guide. We also had our AHP aftermarket Hardened PM guided tested and it tested HRC40 (c scale). This would mean our hardened PM guide is harder than the factory's PM guide and harder than the aftermarkets bronze guide.
The point being the harder the guide the more likely it is to resist valve side loading. In other words the harder the guide the less the guide will wear when exposed to high levels of valve side loading.
Theoretically a harder guide should wear less all around than a softer guide.

So application makes all the difference. Bronze with shaft mount roller rockers = good. Bronze with stock non roller tipped rockers = not the best material for the application.

Very informative but what's the downside to the much harder pm guide that you are currently using? Does the actual valve now take more of the wear and abuse? Or could these harder guides possibly create more heat in the guide ? If there's no downside why wouldn't other aftermarket cylinder head companies use these harder pm guides?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:36 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
Very informative but what's the downside to the much harder pm guide that you are currently using? Does the actual valve now take more of the wear and abuse? Or could these harder guides possibly create more heat in the guide ? If there's no downside why wouldn't other aftermarket cylinder head companies use these harder pm guides?

Thanks!
good point
Old 07-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] Or could these harder guides possibly create more heat in the guide ?
No.
If there's no downside why wouldn't other aftermarket cylinder head companies use these harder pm guides?
For two reasons:

1. For the same reason they use dual springs -- they are locked in the past.

2. It takes some thought and effort to bring new items to the marketplace. It is also risky because, like many shops, many customers are . . . . . . . . . locked in the past
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks!

Good point. I don't think its a hardness issue with the current PM guides. I don't think you would create any more heat issues however with the "harder" PM guides.

As well these guides have been in use for a very long time. As we all know as the years go by technology improves and its possible these guides that AH is using only recently became available. Aside from that even if they were available GM hasn't had guide issues up until this point. So why change something that's been working.

However, I do agree with AH and sticking with the PM guides would be best.

I am surely a mixed bag.... LOL. Ill take one order of PM guides from AH and One order of OEM valves and beehive springs. I appreciate all these vendors opinions but I want to stick as close to what the GM engineers had in mind as possible.

That is of course until I go beyond 650whp... then all bets are off.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z76232
Sorry guys, I'm an idiot. Wasn't thinking. Everything I read is just about stock heads. I just have stock heads with 16k miles on them. Please forgive me.
Dave

Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 PM
telly444
Racer

well I bought a vengeance racing heads/ cam package and it better hold up for years to come ... guess I'll have to take my chance with the WCCH over AH for now. after this I'm doing a forged block with aftermarket heads, or buying a 2015+ Z when the time comes.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:34 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

No.

For two reasons:

1. For the same reason they use dual springs -- they are locked in the past.

2. It takes some thought and effort to bring new items to the marketplace. It is also risky because, like many shops, many customers are . . . . . . . . . locked in the past
Mark you always demand facts from people so how is your comment "they are locked in the past" not a complete assumption?
How do u know all these companies are stuck in the past. How do u know they are not using what works and has proven itself to hold up the longest to high horsepower builds?
P.S. Many duel springs have proven to work well and control valves on higher lift cams when over the years many beehive springs have proven to have durability issues. This is a fact.
I'm not saying the PSI Beehives aren't a excellent choice just that most don't have the great record they have earned.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 PM
telly444
Racer

and right now I have a E force blower , LT's and custom tune. stock heads with 21,000 kms......tick tock , tick tock...... BOOM!!!! LOL

Get notified of new replies

To how many miles on your WCCH

Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by propain
Good point. I don't think its a hardness issue with the current PM guides. I don't think you would create any more heat issues however with the "harder" PM guides.

As well these guides have been in use for a very long time. As we all know as the years go by technology improves and its possible these guides that AH is using only recently became available. Aside from that even if they were available GM hasn't had guide issues up until this point. So why change something that's been working.

However, I do agree with AH and sticking with the PM guides would be best.

I am surely a mixed bag.... LOL. Ill take one order of PM guides from AH and One order of OEM valves and beehive springs. I appreciate all these vendors opinions but I want to stick as close to what the GM engineers had in mind as possible.

That is of course until I go beyond 650whp... then all bets are off.

I agree with u. I don't think the OEM guides are the issue either. But maybe a harder guide would help slow down the wear or buy one more time.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by telly444
and right now I have a E force blower , LT's and custom tune. stock heads with 21,000 kms......tick tock , tick tock...... BOOM!!!! LOL
Ya, if u haven't had those guides check you are insane! Or make to much $$$.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

To that part in bold, you likely won't get it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] how many miles on your WCCH