Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Contemplating E85 or Meth for NA

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Contemplating E85 or Meth for NA

I am really considering either converting the E85, or doing NA meth injection. Both have appeal as timing can be increased and detonation can be minimized.

I'm concerned about e85, as I really don't put many miles on my car. I fear it will clog injectors etc from sitting.

The meth has appeal because spraying pre throttle body will allow for cooling of the intake charge. That cooling will shrink air molecules (like nitrous), and allow a more densely filled combustion chamber (I don't think e85 can do that because it is sprayed so close to the combustion chamber and only at certain intervals (injector timing vs constant). The meth will also help with buffering detonation.

The drawback is that if the meth doesn't spray, there could be engine damage due to detonation etc, as well as an aux fuel system that could leak and such so there is an increase fire hazard.

So I see it like this:

E85
Pro:
self contained in original fuel system so no more fire hazard than stock
detonation is buffered so more timing
As long as there is fuel in the tank, there is no danger of running without

Cons:
Fuel system problems from sitting

Meth:
Decreased IAT's so more dense intake charge
detonation is buffered so more timing

Cons:
external fuel system has leak potential and increased fire hazard
clogged nozzle, fuse failure, pump problem etc could lead to engine damage if not noticed until there is a problem

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks

Tony
Old 08-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

E85 is leaps and bounds more capable that meth injection and easier on the end user as well.

Get you tune setup for flex fuel and run a tank of 93 through the system before you let it sit up. This will take care of the gumming issues.

I wish I had E85 locally here.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my meth on my bolt- on Z !! works great! stock motor, cam and heads just bolt-on's 10.09 @ 137
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo2L
E85 is leaps and bounds more capable that meth injection and easier on the end user as well.

Get you tune setup for flex fuel and run a tank of 93 through the system before you let it sit up. This will take care of the gumming issues.

I wish I had E85 locally here.
Flex fuel tuning is totally disabled in vettes and even with HPtuner vcm you cant get around it. the only thing you can do is increase your High octane tables but if you ever have to run with normal fuel you better not get on the gas hard as it will have to see knock to transfer to the low octane tables and a lot of it. Anyone who tells you they can enable flex fuel tuning for a vette is lying. Yes it is in the VCM suite software but you cant do anything with it. You tune for what you are going to run and that is that. No one can put some magic "calibration" in the tune to recognize that it is running E85 or standard fuel and be able to switch between two totally different tunes. You can only store one tune in the vette ECM. So you run E85, then you better have access to it all the time wherever you go or you have to drive it like carefully on standard pump gas. I am getting my info from someone that has been a HPtuner since the start and knows the software intimately. He has seen many other tuners claim they do a dual style tune for Flex Fuel and is plain bad marketing and misleading.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 PM
gearbox
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Matters how close e85 is to you. Mine is about 25 miles away. So I chose meth.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:28 AM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels

Flex fuel tuning is totally disabled in vettes and even with HPtuner vcm you cant get around it. the only thing you can do is increase your High octane tables but if you ever have to run with normal fuel you better not get on the gas hard as it will have to see knock to transfer to the low octane tables and a lot of it. Anyone who tells you they can enable flex fuel tuning for a vette is lying. Yes it is in the VCM suite software but you cant do anything with it. You tune for what you are going to run and that is that. No one can put some magic "calibration" in the tune to recognize that it is running E85 or standard fuel and be able to switch between two totally different tunes. You can only store one tune in the vette ECM. So you run E85, then you better have access to it all the time wherever you go or you have to drive it like carefully on standard pump gas. I am getting my info from someone that has been a HPtuner since the start and knows the software intimately. He has seen many other tuners claim they do a dual style tune for Flex Fuel and is plain bad marketing and misleading.
Pretty sure that Dsteck makes a flex fuel sensor to accomplish this, which will recognize any blend from straight 93 with 0% ethanol to e85 or what have you. After the initial tune, it will adjust for whatever is in the tank.

The ECM has the parameters, but no sensor to read levels from. That's my understanding anyways.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:38 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you might find this thread informative:

CMS explains a Flex Fuel conversion and tune(s)
Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Chance575
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If you use a water/meth setup it would be nonflamable.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Twistedpixels
This post is 100% incorrect. Your tuner is also clearly ignorant to the latest and greatest capabilities of the Gen IV and beyond ECMs.

Last edited by DSteck; 08-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Where in the cape is there E85? keep in mind that if you track the car you WILL have to refuel and there's no ethanol there.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

E85 is in Ft myers.

I am well aware of the need to refill, that is why meth has a bit more appeal
Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
This post is 100% incorrect. Your tuner is also clearly ignorant to the latest and greatest capabilities of the Gen IV and beyond ECMs.
Boom.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 AM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How much does this sensor cost and where is it installed?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Dsteck is one of the most cutting edge LS tuners in the industry, I have seen his work with too many cars to count. People could certainly learn something from talking with him instead posting stupidity referring to HP Tuners capabilities they are unaware of...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:22 AM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance575
If you use a water/meth setup it would be nonflamable.
100% meth! Water puts the fire out!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Both.

They both have advantages. One issue with e85 only is you still get high IATs which lead to pulling timing unless you just nerf the IAT table to not yank timing when hot because of the e85, but if you run flex fuel/pump then you have to worry about that when you aren't on e85.

As for meth pump/nozzle/etc clogging/failing, that is a risk for anything on the car. For some reason people really focus on that with meth, but if a fuel pump, injector, oil pump, etc etc fail, you are in the same boat. **** can fail and take out a motor. Yes it is added parts, but there are plenty of safe ways to set it up.

Honestly I run 91/meth. Car makes 1000+ on 91/meth and would make 1000+ on e85/meth. I can fill up anywhere, good mileage, and I am blower/tire limited so e85 doesn't appeal to me. Now if I could gain 100+ hp out of it, maybe but for now I'll just stick to 91/meth.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Yep, I'm with you my friend.

When I read that I was floored.

The things some of these so called tuners tell their customers baffles me...but oh well

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Contemplating E85 or Meth for NA

Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by #1hand
Love my meth on my bolt- on Z !! works great! stock motor, cam and heads just bolt-on's 10.09 @ 137
I need to talk to u I'm going the same route getting meth kit for my heads and cam can pm ur number need to ask you a couple of questions' about yours if you don't mind...but back on topic I would do meth kit...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Yes, unless you have a readily available supply of E85 I wouldn't. The only E85 I've seen up your way is east of I-75.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
I think you might find this thread informative:

CMS explains a Flex Fuel conversion and tune(s)
Originally Posted by Chance42
Pretty sure that Dsteck makes a flex fuel sensor to accomplish this, which will recognize any blend from straight 93 with 0% ethanol to e85 or what have you. After the initial tune, it will adjust for whatever is in the tank.

The ECM has the parameters, but no sensor to read levels from. That's my understanding anyways.
Ryne @ CMS will be doing my car in about 3 weeks and adding the flex fuel kit made by DSteck. It will run anything 91 to E85 and everything in between. I plan on posting results of dyno runs on 91 and pure E85 if anyone is interested in how well it works..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Contemplating E85 or Meth for NA