Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 06 Z06 grind when shifting to second at 5k rpms. How much to repair? Las vegas

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 PM
notn41
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 06 Z06 grind when shifting to second at 5k rpms. How much to repair? Las vegas

I have an 06 c6 Z06. My gear grinds when shifting above 5k rpms from 1st to second gear. I thought it was the clutch or a shifter rod or bushings but I guess the dealer thinks it's a second gear syncro. They quoted me around $2k to fix it.

What do I do?

How much will it cost to fix?

What is wrong with it?

Just my luck I am selling the car this week and now this happens.. I want to fix it before I sell it to the new buyer.

What is the most cost effective way to fix this issue?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:30 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Yup second gear synchronizer. $2000 is about right to remove the tranny rebuild it and reinstall it.

-jp
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by notn41
I have an 06 c6 Z06. My gear grinds when shifting above 5k rpms from 1st to second gear. I thought it was the clutch or a shifter rod or bushings but I guess the dealer thinks it's a second gear syncro. They quoted me around $2k to fix it.

What do I do?

How much will it cost to fix?

What is wrong with it?

Just my luck I am selling the car this week and now this happens.. I want to fix it before I sell it to the new buyer.

How many miles?
Stock power?

DH
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 AM
BennieC.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the condition of your clutch fluid. I'd recommend flush it out first then try again. Unless it has been done. If the synchros are bad, it would do it to at lower RPM range.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

There are a few t56 that come up for sale here for less than 2k.. just shop around.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

$2 large sounds about right, at a dealer.
Maybe less at an independent shop, if one's close to you.
Had to have a syncro replaced on my '06 Z51 car, fortunately for me the cost was covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by notn41
If it were me, had a valid buyer and an agreed to selling price?
I'd explain the issue & using a printed estimate deduct the $2K repair cost from our agreed to selling price. *I'd also have a printout from Chevrolet of the car's service history to prove it hasn't had a troublesome past.

Or, get it fixed on your dime and add the cost to selling price.

Get notified of new replies

To 06 Z06 grind when shifting to second at 5k rpms. How much to repair? Las vegas

Quick Reply: [Z06] 06 Z06 grind when shifting to second at 5k rpms. How much to repair? Las vegas