Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Add me to the list ..........FML

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by conner.mcgrath
no it was quiet when i dropped it off ........ when i picked it up it sounded like a playing card in bicycle spokes
So what service did you drop it off for?

Aren't you suspicious about what may have happened?

Most will tell you that you cannot hear valve guides that are out of spec? So what were you hearing right after the serviced your car that you didn't hear before with the same worn guides ?????????????????

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 08-21-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Uh, yeah, not to be insensitive, but I agree with what other people in here have said; be thankful you don't have a valve sticking out of your engine block. It's fixable.

Get a head and cam upgrade while you're at it and you're +100 HP and golden.

"When opportunity knocks, mod."
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Since you have the documentation from a dealer stating there is a problem and what the recommended solution is you should go back to the dealer and ask them to see if GM will cover the head replacement under a goodwill warranty. The worst thing that could happen is they tell you NO. However, you will not know what the answer will be if the Service People don't start an inquiry with GM. Nothing to lose but some time but a lot to gain.

Bill
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since you have the documentation from a dealer stating there is a problem and what the recommended solution is you should go back to the dealer and ask them to see if GM will cover the head replacement under a goodwill warranty. The worst thing that could happen is they tell you NO. However, you will not know what the answer will be if the Service People don't start an inquiry with GM. Nothing to lose but some time but a lot to gain.

Bill
How much time would you recommend he give them to start their inquiry about "good will" and get back to him with an answer before he proceeds on his own?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-21-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Bill
bill, do you think the new stocker heads have the issue sorted out? if not, i wouldn't want stock heads going back in on a non-warranty car. i'd just send them off to WCCH (or the reputable shop of your choice) and call it a day.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no it was quiet when i dropped it off ........ when i picked it up it sounded like a playing card in bicycle spokes
The dealer screwed something up. DO NOT drive the car anymore, and DO NOT drive it off the dealer's lot until they find out what they screwed up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they left the lash caps off the intakes or put them back on the wrong valves (the exhausts).

If the dealer can't figure out what they screwed up and fix the new ticking noise, then have it TOWED somewhere else and have the heads removed (and send the tow bill to the dealer for remimbursement). If it drops a valve now, with you driving it, then it is surely the dealer's fault and good luck in trying to get them to pay for it.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... a goodwill warranty ...
Bill
+1

My daughter's Chevy SUV was up for an expensive engine repair recently but the SUV was slightly out of warranty. I told her to ask for a goodwill warranty. Chevy quickly agreed to pay for parts and she paid for labor. She was happy.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Never good to hear about this crap...are you the 1st owner and is that 47000 miles?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:45 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So what service did you drop it off for?

Aren't you suspicious about what may have happened?

Most will tell you that you cannot hear valve guides that are out of spec? So what were you hearing right after the serviced your car that you didn't hear before with the same worn guides ?????????????????

DH
i took it in to have the valves checked with no noise on a whim. upon picking it up my car sounds like this "NOT MY VIDEO"

when i took it back i was told that it sounded like a lifter, and was told that it was possible caused from the dis-assembly and re-assembly ........ and i would have to pay again to have the passengers side torn down when we know my valves are shot anyways. so the car is sitting at the dealer and i have a loaner.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ATC399
Never good to hear about this crap...are you the 1st owner and is that 47000 miles?
2nd owner .. and i have had it for a year and driven 7k miles since my purchase
Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill
Chevy agreed to pay $1000 toward redoing my heads. At the time, my car was 6 years old and had 18K miles. When I asked them how they came up with the figure that indicated it was age and mileage dependent. Since this is an 6 year old car with 47K miles, I don't think they will offer anything. But, as you say, nothing to lose.

Last edited by GMuffley; 08-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] when i took it back i was told that it sounded like a lifter, and was told that it was possible caused from the dis-assembly and re-assembly ........ and i would have to pay again to have the passengers side torn down when we know my valves are shot anyways. so the car is sitting at the dealer and i have a loaner.
The dealer broke your car.

I would not let them work on it any more. Especially if they are going to try to make you pay to fix their mistake.

Tow it somewhere else, preferable ASE certified or some such, and have them give you a written report on what the dealer did wrong. Ideally this should be a shop that you trust to do the head swap/repair unless you want to do it yourself.

You have a claim against the dealer. Whether you'll get anything out of it is another ball of wax.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM
C6zMyth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took it in to have the valves checked with no noise on a whim. upon picking it up my car sounds like this "NOT MY VIDEO" Corvette Z06 LS7 engine noise - YouTube

when i took it back i was told that it sounded like a lifter, and was told that it was possible caused from the dis-assembly and re-assembly ........ and i would have to pay again to have the passengers side torn down when we know my valves are shot anyways. so the car is sitting at the dealer and i have a loaner.
COLD START

HOT START

I havent heard any other z06's....What do you guys think? Not to be a thread jack or anything....
Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

i took it in to have the valves checked with no noise on a whim. upon picking it up my car sounds like this "NOT MY VIDEO" Corvette Z06 LS7 engine noise - YouTube

So they are admitting it didn't sound like this when you originally brought it in !!!!!

Tell them you expect them to fix whatever the noise is on their dime !!!

You need to discuss this with the service manager right away .....

DH
Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

for .06 and under i was told "they are not that bad" -_-
I assume that you meant .006 and not .06 - correct?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM
spy2520
Racer

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg

I assume that you meant .006 and not .06 - correct?
Must have meant .006 but "not that bad" is irrelevant if it's still out of spec. The info they provided was .0024 and .0026 right?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6zMyth
You should start your own thread if you want responses... But that does not sound good

Get notified of new replies

To Add me to the list ..........FML

Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsv510
You should start your own thread if you want responses... But that does not sound good
X2 stop driving your car. get your heads looked at ASAP!!!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So they are admitting it didn't sound like this when you originally brought it in !!!!!

Tell them you expect them to fix whatever the noise is on their dime !!!

You need to discuss this with the service manager right away .....

DH
oh yes they fully admit the fact but seem to chalk it up to "**** it your heads for ****ed to begun with and this is a bi-product of getting them checked" if fact when the contacted the 3rd party service contract/warranty they only mentioned the "lifter issue" and i said **** that you better say something about the valves bc i didn't have this lifter issue until i brought it in to get checked.

if anyone is looking for a cheap z06 that need heads pm me
Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

oh yes they fully admit the fact but seem to chalk it up to "**** it your heads for ****ed to begun with and this is a bi-product of getting them checked" if fact when the contacted the 3rd party service contract/warranty they only mentioned the "lifter issue" and i said **** that you better say something about the valves bc i didn't have this lifter issue until i brought it in to get checked.

if anyone is looking for a cheap z06 that need heads pm me
Thats absurd. They obviously screwed something up when they put it back together. Did they have the heads off or just did the wiggle test. Because that sounds like a bad lifter.

You need to get tough .........

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Add me to the list ..........FML