Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Add me to the list ..........FML

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thats absurd. They obviously screwed something up when they put it back together. Did they have the heads off or just did the wiggle test. Because that sounds like a bad lifter.

You need to get tough .........

DH
they just did the wiggle test and yeah it sounds like absolute **** now
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 AM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surpised you made it that many miles with stock heads to begin with. my car has 14k miles and I pulled the heads just cause.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by conner.mcgrath
i had it checked for ***** and giggles ........ and im glad i did
but it seems im stuck with the bill

so now its heads ....... heads/cam ........ or full boltons .
if i had my choice it would be stock, i dont need this car to be any faster
You do have the choice. No one is forcing any upgrades to the cam or porting. You can leave it bone stock except for the rework
Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since you have the documentation from a dealer stating there is a problem and what the recommended solution is you should go back to the dealer and ask them to see if GM will cover the head replacement under a goodwill warranty. The worst thing that could happen is they tell you NO. However, you will not know what the answer will be if the Service People don't start an inquiry with GM. Nothing to lose but some time but a lot to gain.

Bill
At least Chevy will often do that. Try it with a Ford!!! Good luck I know personally.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by telly444
I'm surpised you made it that many miles with stock heads to begin with. my car has 14k miles and I pulled the heads just cause.
You make it sound like all LS7 engines will blow up at or before 50k miles. I've got 96+k miles on my stock heads so far with no problems. And no, I have not had the guides checked - but plan on redoing the heads when I hit 100k.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:02 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I like Mark's suggestion.

If I was going to do Aftermarket heads, be they Am Heritage or WCCH or whatever, I would want a very competent local shop to do it and those words together seldom mean your local Chevrolet Dealer. Also if you take it to a competent local shop and during disassembly they find a mistake the Dealer made in doing the wiggle test then it can be documented and back to the dealer you can go to negotiate.

I don't believe I would have many dealers put on aftermarket heads or a cam for me.

Now I have done precisely that, but it was with a GM Tech at a dealership owned by a friend and the Tech was most excellent. In fact in the C4 ZR1 era you may remember the piston problems they had. Normally that meant a new engine but GMPP actually had many of those engines sent to him where he rebuilt the engine in the shop. He was a fastidious "Never a Come Back for a Redo" tech, which is why he was the Service Managers go to guy for tough expensive work.

And I had the added pleasure of having the heads, cam, and header combination done on a Sat/Sun when the dealership was closed and I was in the service bay with him hopefully not being a pain in the butt but an able assistant. I can't tell you how much time he spent getting the old gasket material off the block and cleaning things up before he installed my new heads. So their are some really good guys out there, but most of us don't know how to find them.

PS: if we all could update our profile to indicate a rough idea of where you are, you might find some specific recommendations of shops near you to check out.

Last edited by pkincy; 08-22-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
You make it sound like all LS7 engines will blow up at or before 50k miles. I've got 96+k miles on my stock heads so far with no problems. And no, I have not had the guides checked - but plan on redoing the heads when I hit 100k.
They all do, you're clearly a liar. They all blow up before 30K miles.

I'm a liar also, I changed my heads out at 40K even though they didn't need it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

it will sound fine ..... untill it blows up
Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

they just did the wiggle test and yeah it sounds like absolute **** now
Clearly they did something wrong.....not surprised, another useless dealer service dept
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
I like Mark's suggestion.

If I was going to do Aftermarket heads, be they Am Heritage or WCCH or whatever, I would want a very competent local shop to do it and those words together seldom mean your local Chevrolet Dealer. Also if you take it to a competent local shop and during disassembly they find a mistake the Dealer made in doing the wiggle test then it can be documented and back to the dealer you can go to negotiate.

I don't believe I would have many dealers put on aftermarket heads or a cam for me.

Now I have done precisely that, but it was with a GM Tech at a dealership owned by a friend and the Tech was most excellent. In fact in the C4 ZR1 era you may remember the piston problems they had. Normally that meant a new engine but GMPP actually had many of those engines sent to him where he rebuilt the engine in the shop. He was a fastidious "Never a Come Back for a Redo" tech, which is why he was the Service Managers go to guy for tough expensive work.

And I had the added pleasure of having the heads, cam, and header combination done on a Sat/Sun when the dealership was closed and I was in the service bay with him hopefully not being a pain in the butt but an able assistant. I can't tell you how much time he spent getting the old gasket material off the block and cleaning things up before he installed my new heads. So their are some really good guys out there, but most of us don't know how to find them.

PS: if we all could update our profile to indicate a rough idea of where you are, you might find some specific recommendations of shops near you to check out.
^^^

Except those you list are not 'aftermarket', Mast and PRC are.... and a couple others
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

it will sound fine ..... untill it blows up
But my point is that they don't all blow up. I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the heads, I'm just saying that all cars aren't affected.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:36 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But my point is that they don't all blow up. I'm not saying there isn't an issue with the heads, I'm just saying that all cars aren't affected.
I concur. No doubt there is probably a stock LS7 with over 100k miles out there, probably with out of spec guides. But still running.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

There wasn't one guide out of spec on my 07 with 88K miles on the clock. This wasn't a wiggle test. The heads were pulled and measured by WCCH. All 88K was with a tune and headers too.

No, they're not all bad.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by spy2520
I concur. No doubt there is probably a stock LS7 with over 100k miles out there, probably with out of spec guides. But still running.

You're right, they're all defective, not a single engine built right. Oh wait, mine was fine when checked.

The freakin' morons on this board kill me.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Wow you let them off the hook very easily. If I brought my car in for a wiggle test (and I won't), and it came back sounding like it was about to blow up, they'd at least be forced to fix something. .. there's a big difference in "out of spec guides" and and engine that's about to blow up.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:14 PM
spy2520
Racer

Originally Posted by Coach62

You're right, they're all defective, not a single engine built right. Oh wait, mine was fine when checked.

The freakin' morons on this board kill me.
All defective? I never said that. Just pointing out that they don't all blow up. Mine has 70k.

Edit: after rereading my post and the post I quoted, I almost get the feeling you meant to quote someone else.

Last edited by spy2520; 08-25-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
All defective? I never said that. Just pointing out that they don't all blow up. Mine has 70k.

Edit: after rereading my post and the post I quoted, I almost get the feeling you meant to quote someone else.
I think he was saying(sarcastically) that there are some LS7's that left Bowling Green with heads without badly machined guides from GM's supplier . It's reasonable to expect that they would last 70,000 miles. BUT, we all know that not every LS7 that left Bowling Green had heads that were in spec when new, thus they are more likely to fail in the field with much lower than 70,000 miles on the odometer.

Get notified of new replies

To Add me to the list ..........FML

Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
spy2520
Racer

Heated agreement.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

so small update warranty solutions wants the heads checked out by a local machine shop to see if the heads are salvageable . I hope that means they are considering covering the work.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

It certainly sounds like it, since it would be cheaper to rebuild the heads than to replace them, at least as far as the typical valve guide issue is concerned. Good luck

Quick Reply: [Z06] Add me to the list ..........FML