Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Add me to the list ..........FML

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well it seems ill pay my 100$ deductible and im all set. ill pick it up sometime next week if parts come in on time
Old 09-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by conner.mcgrath
[...] i picked the car up and was driving home ...... and noticed a LOUD rhythmic ticking that varies with rpm coming from the passengers side engine bay.....i pulled over and called the dealer and took the car back in. FML
Did you/they/anyone ever figure out what was up with the noise?

Are you getting new heads, rebuilt heads, and is the same dealer doing the work?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Did you/they/anyone ever figure out what was up with the noise?

Are you getting new heads, rebuilt heads, and is the same dealer doing the work?
yeah a lifter iirc took a crap and they will be rebuilt and a machine shop is doing the R&R but the dealer is doing the install
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

I just hope it's not your typlical knuckle-draging local machine shop with no LS7 specific experience. Nation wide there's probably only a hand full of shops I would trust rebuilding our engines. It could be a recipie for disaster. Too many fingers in the pie.

They are planning on going through the entire engine, right??

Best of luck Conner.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Undy
I just hope it's not your typlical knuckle-draging local machine shop with no LS7 specific experience. Nation wide there's probably only a hand full of shops I would trust rebuilding our engines. It could be a recipie for disaster. Too many fingers in the pie.

They are planning on going through the entire engine, right??

Best of luck Conner.
not sure ? and no this is just a stock head rebuild with oem parts. i dont see the need to touch the bottom end.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Nope .....
what did the dealer charge to do this?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 PM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Built Head Question

Just curious, how many folks here have gotten their heads done and have a failure. I just bought an 08 Z06 that has a fully done head, thought maybe it was just a dead lifter but this what I got got when I pulled the cover.

Noticed a really loud ticking on the passenger side head. Thought maybe it was a dead lifter.

This is what the exhaust valve look like. Best part is, I drove the car from Atlanta to VA like this. I could have easily dropped the valve.

Good valve on the left, bad one on the right.

Question is, what the hell could have caused this? Valve guide due to bad machining? Tip just broke off? These are SS exhaust valves with upgraded Comp Trunions.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Strange that it's an exhaust valve. The "typical" failure of this type is a hardened tip TI intake valve. Maybe some geometry issues?? Incorrect length pushrods? Defective batch (non-hardened tips) of exhaust valves?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

lock/retainer failure. Either the wrong combination for lock/retainer found its way in there or valve float will due funny things to your valve train...or incorrectly heat treatment of any of the 3 parts involved....
Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by C6zMyth
I am going to take a video of my z06s engine sound when at idle cold/hot starts and when driving...I hear a ticking sound but I thought it was normal which it might be. Just being fairly new to the car I want to get verification from the experts here.

BTW OP good catch man and hopefully you'll be back with no worries.
noise or no noise really doesn't mean anything fyi. by all means have it checked.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipRay
[...] Question is, what the hell could have caused this? Valve guide due to bad machining? Tip just broke off? These are SS exhaust valves with upgraded Comp Trunions.
Can't tell for sure with the resolution of the photos, but it resembles a hardened tip insert that has broken off. Been several of those on aftermarket intake valves lately... here's one:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587568990

I'd think it would be a valve defect (tip just broke off). I'd be curious to know what brand/model valves are in it, then I think I'd be replacing them with something different (that one head will have to come off for sure, to replace the valve).
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Can't tell for sure with the resolution of the photos, but it resembles a hardened tip insert that has broken off. Been several of those on aftermarket intake valves lately... here's one:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587568990

I'd think it would be a valve defect (tip just broke off). I'd be curious to know what brand/model valves are in it, then I think I'd be replacing them with something different (that one head will have to come off for sure, to replace the valve).
I believe he'd mentioned it was stainless. That valve shouldn't have a hardened tip, as a Ti valve would have. Is there a process that they harden just the end of the valve?
Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 PM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I just double checked the other exhaust valves. Look like they do have the pressed in hardened tips. Maybe the tip did break off but I dont know where its at. Hopefully its in the damn oil pan.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:26 AM
conner.mcgrath
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

well i picked up the car last week and it runs like stock ........ im just happy i get to cruise to work in my stock z06
and all i paid was $106.87 for my deductible and an oil filter
granted it did take a little longer than i would have liked but i cant argue with the end results
thanks guys for all your help/support
Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

well i picked up the car last week and it runs like stock ........ im just happy i get to cruise to work in my stock z06
granted it did take a little longer than i would have liked but i cant argue with the end results
Great news, glad to hear it. Driving my Z06 is definitely the best part of my work day too

DH
Old 10-25-2014, 01:46 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Great news, glad to hear it. Driving my Z06 is definitely the best part of my work day too

DH

Every one should own a vehicle they look forward to driving at the end of the day.

Glad your back up and running conner.mcgrath
Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Add me to the list ..........FML