Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
Well, good luck with that. Because he'll need it if he put that signature on the repair order.
With the proper handling and possiblity of negative publicity, it may never go to court, but GM would make it go away. Do they really want this out there, in the public? Showing how a dealer treated their customers and them not doing or caring about the buyers. I doubt it would get that far, without a great change of heart.
I know I wouldn't let him get away with it, without a very large and loud protest.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, good luck with that. Because he'll need it if he put that signature on the repair order.
"Over fixing" a car by lying about parts being broken to the tune of $1,000 worth.. Just to get my signature, yes my sig is on the paper, can't be unchallengable. The worst part was, it was a $20 fix that I paid $1,100 for. No possible way to know these parts were broken. I even pleaded to the service advisor, please please talk to the mechanic about just trying to fix the plug first and see if everything else works (which it would have). She was like "oh no those parts are fried. I'll ask him but he's going to say the same thing, they need to go". They look so brand new (minus the melted plug) that I don't even know if they are the old parts or the new parts. Fml
Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 AM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how did you test the old parts?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Was it a certified Chevrolet dealer? The only reason I ask is if it was,you can call customer service,national, and they will contact the dealership and actually follow up with YOU and the dealership. I only say this because I did this and it worked... I was very very surprised.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
"Over fixing" a car by lying about parts being broken to the tune of $1,000 worth.. Just to get my signature, yes my sig is on the paper, can't be unchallengable. The worst part was, it was a $20 fix that I paid $1,100 for. No possible way to know these parts were broken. I even pleaded to the service advisor, please please talk to the mechanic about just trying to fix the plug first and see if everything else works (which it would have). She was like "oh no those parts are fried. I'll ask him but he's going to say the same thing, they need to go". They look so brand new (minus the melted plug) that I don't even know if they are the old parts or the new parts. Fml
When I take a car in for a problem I am having , I describe the problem , the service rep will tell the mechanic what the problem is and after the mechanic diagnoses the problem, and the fix, he tells the service rep and the rep tells me.

At that point I will begin responding by asking for some validation, measurements, motor currents, etc. If I am satisfied with the problem identification and resolution. I authorize the fix.

Did you have a discussion seek any additional validation and more importantly afterward, did you approve the parts.?

No excuse for them screwing you, but it's alway's buyer beware..
Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
When I take a car in for a problem I am having , I describe the problem , the service rep will tell the mechanic what the problem is and after the mechanic diagnoses the problem, and the fix, he tells the service rep and the rep tells me.

At that point I will begin responding by asking for some validation, measurements, motor currents, etc. If I am satisfied with the problem identification and resolution. I authorize the fix.

Did you have a discussion seek any additional validation and more importantly afterward, did you approve the parts.?

No excuse for them screwing you, but it's alway's buyer beware..
I asked repeatedly over and over why the fan and module needed to be replaced. Service rep said "they were fried". I put a but of trust in the "master certified Corvette tech" and got burned big time.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If all appeals fail, tell them you will report this incidence to the BBB, as well as notifying the local GM service rep. The best response sometimes are threats against there reputation..GL
BBB is a waste of time.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Cidz06
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The module can have an Internal short but still look new from the outside.
Put your old parts back on and if they do work fine, return the new parts and ask for your money back.

Last edited by Cidz06; 08-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

The fan and control module are still like new. They are fine and work fine. They did not need to be replaced. They equated to $700 parts and $200 labor. That's $900 parts and labor I didn't need.
How did u verify the module is fine? Open it up?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

BTW, do u know if the Mechanics work on a commission for parts they replace?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cidz06
The module can have an Internal short but still look new from the outside.
Put your old parts back on and if they do work fine, return the new parts and ask for your money back.
I'm going to dismantle few pieces in the engine bay today and plug it in if I can gain access to it easy. The module just plugs in by the fan it's just out of the way a bit. But it's not fired or anything and I'd bet a good amount of money car fan runs without a hiccup. I'll be doing this shortly.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,070 Posts

If their documented service procedures say to replace those parts, and you signed off on the work order, then you're screwed. I wish you the best of luck, but having been in this situation with my truck, there's not much you can do. The only thing that got me a refund in my situation is they did things that were NOT on the work order that I authorized and tried to charge me for it. This is why it's always so important to get a second opinion before authorizing any repairs.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

BTW, do u know if the Mechanics work on a commission for parts they replace?
I'm going to assume they do. This dealer has totally lost any good faith I had in them. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, they lost that.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

If their documented service procedures say to replace those parts, and you signed off on the work order, then you're screwed. I wish you the best of luck, but having been in this situation with my truck, there's not much you can do. The only thing that got me a refund in my situation is they did things that were NOT on the work order that I authorized and tried to charge me for it. This is why it's always so important to get a second opinion before authorizing any repairs.

They hardwired the connector to the new fan. This is not GM procedure. I asked if they could do this and they said no, and here it is hardwired I'm assuming because they didn't have a connector.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:40 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you haven't taken the time to swap the parts and verify they are good/bad you are crying wolf.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Name the dealer

USAF
Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383LPE
if you haven't taken the time to swap the parts and verify they are good/bad you are crying wolf.
I can't test module without a lift if too hard to get to the plug from up top. I'll take it to a shop tomorrow and snag two seconds on their lift to check.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?

Old 08-24-2014, 03:10 PM
spy2520
Racer

In most cases techs get commission on labor if at all, service writers get commission on parts.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:54 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 383LPE
I can't test module without a lift if too hard to get to the plug from up top. I'll take it to a shop tomorrow and snag two seconds on their lift to check.
So let me get this straight - you are complaining that they replaced parts that are working perfectly, but you haven't tested the old parts to see whether or not they work? I thought you said in a previous post that the parts were working perfectly. Not sure why you are all upset if you don't know yet for sure whether the parts work or not.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Yup, at a minimum you need to reinstall your old parts and then if it runs fine, you can drive to the dealership and hand them back the parts they sold you and ask for a refund of labor and parts cost.

Lacking that you have nothing.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?