Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:30 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?

I recently noticed above average coolant temps at idle. Seemed the fan wasn't working properly or intermittently.

I had the mechanic diagnose the car and he came back with a melted fan plug. However the service manager also told me I needed a new fan, AND control module replaced. I knew about the fan plugs in these cars short circuiting however I was skeptical about needing to replace the fan and module. But service manager was adamant that they needed replacing. So I debated back and forth about what to do and decided to trust the dealer, maybe the fan and module blew up and were toast. So after one last plea to manager to please see if the connector can be replaced and only connector, I decided I needed my car back sooner rather than later and to just go ahead and replace the fan and module and connector. Well, I get car back and it is working fine again. Coolant temps are perfect, car is great.

I get home, I requested original parts back. So I take a look at them. They are PERFECT. Perfect. So here I am, with beautiful parts, that I just had to rebuy at DEALER MARKUP prices, and am out $1,100 in parts and labor for a $50 fix.

I called dealership and they explained to me, that I am SOL.

I know Im not SOL. And Im willing to do whatever it takes to get some or all of this money back. They replaced working parts that didn't need to be replaced. Fan was good, module was good.

I put the charge on my credit card. I am toying around with disputing that.

Please, any advice anyone can give me?

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 08-23-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

follow the correct steps with the state of florida to dispute the bill
Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

What parts are perfect, it seems like they fixed your problem. If its the fan, I think a short trip to the dealer with an explanation from them might resolve your issue. I agree there are stealerships out there, there are also many shops that are not after your best interests. In an even tempered tone,I would go up the chain till you are happy. Good luck
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

The fan and control module are still like new. They are fine and work fine. They did not need to be replaced. They equated to $700 parts and $200 labor. That's $900 parts and labor I didn't need.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If all appeals fail, tell them you will report this incidence to the BBB, as well as notifying the local GM service rep. The best response sometimes are threats against there reputation..GL
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
If all appeals fail, tell them you will report this incidence to the BBB, as well as notifying the local GM service rep. The best response sometimes are threats against there reputation..GL
The manager at the dealer was trying so hard to be a hard ***. He told me, go ahead and "scream bloody murder and tell everyone you know about how horrible a dealer we are"...he'd rather me go on a crusade against the dealer than refund me a few hundred to make me feel better about this whole thing. Well if its a war he wants, I can almost guarantee Ill cost this dealer way more business than a few hundred dollars and certainly more than the $1100 they scammed out of me.

Wait till the regional rep hears about his "advice" to me. I might be young but im very smart.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:48 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

In most states there is a Bureau of Automotive Repair that is designed to catch these type of situations. You may not have one if Florida, but if you do find it. Show them the parts and let them take it from there.

Next stop might be the local media. Do you have a crusader in the print or visual media that loves to take on these stories and then publlicize them? Try that.

Lastly take videos of the new parts working, and then install the old parts all in one video, and show that they work and head off to pay your filing fee at Small Claims Ct. You won't need an attorney and 6 months later you will get a judgement against the dealer without having to hire a lawyer.

At least those steps would work in my state.

PS: maybe you should just show them your avatar. <g>
Old 08-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

The evening news announces that ____________ Chevrolet has done a bait and switch to the sum of $1,100.00 and refuses to correct the error.
Are they continuing to rip off the public ? See our exclusive video at 11:00.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I hate to say it, but you authorized the repair. Not too much of a leg to stand on. Lexus tried to do the exact thing to my wife a couple of weeks ago. They wanted to charge her $2400 for a water pump (which I personally had just replaced a couple of months ago and knew to be in perfect working order) and rear struts. I told her to get the car out of there. Thankfully she called me first. Only reason she took it there was for a couple of minor recalls and a $50 oil change. Took it to Firestone because it did need a couple of tires and an alignment, and find that the struts are perfectly fine.

Bottom line, don't ever authorize questionable repairs.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen

Please, any advice anyone can give me?
Wait, is the original problem you brought the car in for still existent? Or is it fixed?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Forget the manager, set up a meeting with the dealer principal....the owner whose office is upstairs

Last edited by RedZ4me; 08-23-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Evil, he has a case, as they told him the parts were bad and needed replacing. He now has the old parts and he says they work fine, that he has tested them. He paid for their advise and got parts sold to him that he didn't need. My attorney would say there's a case to be made.

Last edited by Mr. Jean; 08-23-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-23-2014, 05:08 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, you are saying the dealer sold you parts that you didn't need?

I don't think you are going to shock many people that have been around cars for a while.

Consider yourself lucky. Most dealers would have not even switched out your original parts and just cleaned them up (especially if they were mostly clean to begin with) and just charged you. Most people never even notice.

Had a dealer once say the AC lines need to be replaced to the rear AC because of a crack, instead they sprayed undercoating on the old lines and tried to charge for completely new lines. Silly crooks everywhere.

Just think how much extra dealers are going to make off of all these recalls! There will be stuff breaking on cars after recall fixes that likely would have never broken if they didn't go in for the recall fix in the first place.

It's sad, but after decades of owning GMs, you just need to learn to build in that 'eventually getting screwed by the dealer' cost into the purchase of your GM vehicle from day one.

On a bright note, it's not exclusive to GM dealers. Some service managers are so brazen that they will brag among their peers. Legalized theft.

Sorry to hear that you have to go through this, hope it works out for you.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
spy2520
Racer

This is why I work on cars. I understand its not a reasonable option for most people, but I personally can't imagine not knowing how to fix these things. Too much cost.

I think its clear what happened here. They did not want to risk not fixing the problem and didn't want to spend time testing components, or they didn't want to risk a comeback due to another component causing the problem again. Similar -but different- to replacing ALL the AC **** when a compressor fails when it really should be dependent on the type of failure.

I work with a guy like that. oversells more or less to cover his own *** in case he misses or overlooks something. Two different techs I guess.

In my opinion they should have just did whatever you told them to do and let you know their concerns about the other stuff.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it possible, since cars today are largely serviced based upon what the diagnostic computers report, that 'faults' were showing with the fan and switch - thus the dealer's reasoning that they must be replaced?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 PM
spy2520
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Is it possible, since cars today are largely serviced based upon what the diagnostic computers report, that 'faults' were showing with the fan and switch - thus the dealer's reasoning that they must be replaced?
Yes
Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

1. Have a talk w/owner or overall manager...Don't even talk to the shop manager anymore.
2. Contact BBB and start a discussion.
3. Dispute charges with CC company.
4. Take them to small claims court.

You may get nowhere with the process, but at least you'll become a pain in their a$$ for a while and maybe make them regret their initial course of action??

Get notified of new replies

To GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?

Old 08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

I will attempt to contact someone higher up and at the very least explain my displeasure with the dealer manager. He was a "us against them" type. And frankly, would make no attempts to remedy what I feel is a genuine screw up on their part. I said all along if I got these parts back and they didnt work then alls well. I trusted the dealer and they betrayed my trust. Transaction will be disputed soon when it posts to account and Ill have video evidence to submit of the fan working. Ill keep everyone posted.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ctsv510
Wait, is the original problem you brought the car in for still existent? Or is it fixed?
They fixed it too well. Like if an LS7 blows, this dealer would recommend replacing the trans and diff also at your dime of course.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
Evil, he has a case, as they told him the parts were bad and needed replacing. He now has the old parts and he says they work fine, that he has tested them. He paid for their advise and got parts sold to him that he didn't need. My attorney would say there's a case to be made.
Well, good luck with that. Because he'll need it if he put that signature on the repair order.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer Screwed Me What are My Options?