Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Most common problem for a dragging starter??? (only when hot)

Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 AM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Most common problem for a dragging starter??? (only when hot)

Having issues restarting the car once the starter/engine gets hot. Running AR Headers 1 7/8", 11.5:1 comp, 630 HP Lingenfelter package. Replaced 6 yr old OE battery, replaced starter with OE one, wrapped the new starter during the install, checked tightness of ground to the engine block and the ground on the passenger side fender.

Car starts fine cold. Once it gets hot it engages but doesn't seem to spin fast enough to turn engine over. Hit the starter button to stop it then hit it a second time and car starts.

Anyone ever had this problem and know of another ground I'm missing that needs to be checked?

Thanks!

Last edited by magredrod; 08-26-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-24-2014, 10:16 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by magredrod
Having issues restarting the car once the stater/engine gets hot. Running AR Headers 1 7/8", 11.5:1 comp, 630 HP Lingenfelter package. Replaced 6 yr old OE battery, replaced starter with OE one, wrapped the new starter during the install, checked tightness of ground to the engine block and the ground on the passenger side fender.

Car starts fine cold. Once it gets hot it engages but doesn't seem to spin fast enough to turn engine over. Hit the starter button to stop it then hit it a second time and car starts.

Anyone ever had this problem and know of another ground I'm missing that needs to be checked?

Thanks!
you can add a temporary ground to see if it helps. use a jumper cable to make the connection from engine to chassis. check charging system for full voltage and battery as well. even though its fairly new, still check to make sure. also look at large cable connection at starter. I would actually remove this cable and assure its clean and tight. sometimes they seem tight but it can fool you. or starter could just be cooked from headers. start with easy, free stuff.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 AM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Its all due to the OEM starter not being very resistant to heat, coupled with the fact its right next to headers and you can add in 11.5 : 1 compression is the absolute MAX these starters are rated for. (I'm at 12:1 with the oem starter and its really bad)

You should not have heat wraped your new starter that will only make the problem worse. The heat wrap on your starter is going to hold the heatsoak in and not let it breathe. If anything you should heat wrap your headers NOT the starter.

I'm going to be buying a high torque starter that's rated for higher compression as well as better heat resistance properties. I've heard of a few people going with high torque starters and never having another issue.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...7_Engines.aspx

but either way, take the heat wrap off the starter.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-24-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM
yosimdisam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing, It would spin over good when it was cold but after the car heated up forget it.
I put that MSD starter on mine and its a world of difference. Does great.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

The resistance of the starter windings increases with temperature. You need to shield the starter not wrap it. Wrapping it helps hold the heat in.

Bill
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 AM
pwnall1337
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ARH 2" headers installed currently and comp cam. I requested the starter heat shield as I heard over heated starters are quite common.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Default Check your ground wire bolts

From the block to the frame. If you headers on it someone may have moved it and put it back on for the install and it came loose.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Treadhead
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This thread is relevant ot my interests. Same issues, new oe starter and new battery did not help. I'm at 11.5:1 compression too. It gets BAD when the car is hot, all kinds of weirdness happens as a result. Its embarrassing.

Last edited by Treadhead; 08-26-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:52 PM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Going to take off the wrap off, install a shield and checking block grounds again.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the connections to the starter are tight, I had a similar experience and it was due to the connections being bad at the starter.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pwnall1337
I'm getting ARH 2" headers installed currently and comp cam. I requested the starter heat shield as I heard over heated starters are quite common.

Who has a starter heat shield? I'm just before ordering the dynaforce starter. On my second GM starter and it does exactly as OP mentioned. Fires off like a champ when cold but after the car has been run, forget it without a :40 minute cooldown with the hood up. In the past, I've wrapped the header AND put a DEI Heat reflective blanket on the starter; didn't fix a d@mn thing. So this go round, I am JET-Hot coating the PFADT headers and looking at the MSD Dynaforce starter.

Jeff

Last edited by FRDnemesis; 09-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Most common problem for a dragging starter??? (only when hot)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Most common problem for a dragging starter??? (only when hot)