Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Strange / Interesting steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 AM
Z06_1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange / Interesting steering feel

I have noticed, at very slow speeds / engine RPM (think first gear in heavy traffic) that when moving the wheel back and forth, say 2 or 3 inches of travel, I feel a slight "stiction" in the wheel (if you know what that is relative to suspension smoothness, you'll understand) when transitioning back and forth, and I can "feel" / hear the pump working as well..

It seems to go away / diminish at higher speeds / engine RPM.

I don't necessary suspect anything is "broken", but my old C5 never did this, and my 2011 Z06 is the only C6 Z I've driven. It also has the ZR-1 wheel and tire setup.

For those that are interested to see if their cars behave similarly, make sure the radio is off, slow speed in first (basically at engine idle) and slowly saw the wheel back and forth, feeling and listening for the stiction / pump noise.

I am wondering if it is part of the slow speed behavior / pressure valve programming in the BCM..

Thoughts? -ds-
Old 09-13-2014, 03:09 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Did you check your fluid level? what is the condition of your power steering fluid?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Z06_1
Racer

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Did you check your fluid level? what is the condition of your power steering fluid?
Low millage stock fluid, level is good.

This is the small stuff you notice while stuck in traffic. Doing hot laps on a racetrack, you'd be preoccupied with other things.

Wondering if it has to do with the pump turning at low RPMs..

Last edited by Z06_1; 09-13-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:36 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_1
Low millage stock fluid, level is good.

This is the small stuff you notice while stuck in traffic. Doing hot laps on a racetrack, you'd be preoccupied with other things.

Wondering if it has to do with the pump turning at low RPMs..
Isn't there a steering input-rpm ratio thing going on. It seems I read that the higher the rpm the more input is required for the same amount of steering movement. Meaning at low rpms, very little input creates more movement. Maybe your used to the feel and highway speeds.

Then you could actually have a problem. Sorry.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I have noticed, at very slow speeds / engine RPM (think first gear in heavy traffic) that when moving the wheel back and forth, say 2 or 3 inches of travel, I feel a slight "stiction" in the wheel (if you know what that is relative to suspension smoothness, you'll understand) when transitioning back and forth, and I can "feel" / hear the pump working as well..

It seems to go away / diminish at higher speeds / engine RPM.

I don't necessary suspect anything is "broken", but my old C5 never did this, and my 2011 Z06 is the only C6 Z I've driven. It also has the ZR-1 wheel and tire setup.

For those that are interested to see if their cars behave similarly, make sure the radio is off, slow speed in first (basically at engine idle) and slowly saw the wheel back and forth, feeling and listening for the stiction / pump noise.

I am wondering if it is part of the slow speed behavior / pressure valve programming in the BCM..

Thoughts? -ds-
Later C6 vettes including Z06s, ZR1s, Grandsports, etc. have a magna steering rack that has a design issue. Magnet shift in the rack causing what you are experiencing. GM is aware of the issue, but as I understand it they don't have a fix yet. They will replace the rack under warranty, but the new rack is also prone to this failure.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Z06_1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Later C6 vettes including Z06s, ZR1s, Grandsports, etc. have a magna steering rack that has a design issue. Magnet shift in the rack causing what you are experiencing. GM is aware of the issue, but as I understand it they don't have a fix yet. They will replace the rack under warranty, but the new rack is also prone to this failure.
Hmmm.. Any links or posts to this issue?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm.. Any links or posts to this issue?
I've read of that also... you'll have to dig around/search, the info is out there. Google will probably work better than CF search function.

From what I've read before, the biggest 'hitch' you'll feel is right at 12:00 on the wheel position (as it passes thru that). IIRC . . . .
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Z06_1
Racer

Ok, I found the thread, and from the problem description, I don't believe I have a failed rack.. No "clunk" at all, and I have to do several slow / rolling lock-to-lock turns to get out of my garage.. What I am feeling is much more subtle than what was described in the failing rack thread, to the point that a large majority of folks might respond with "I don't know what you are going on about.."

The just seems to be the tiniest extra "break-away" resistance in the feel when going slow / low RPM's. Now that I understand the issue reported in the failing rack thread, I will see if I notice this at a different position of the wheel, maybe turned a full rotation to the right, then move it back and forth, see if it is the same or not.

It is entirely possible this is simply a case of "it's just how a 2011 C6 steering rack feels with giant front tires to a detail-oriented person".

Get notified of new replies

To Strange / Interesting steering feel

Quick Reply: [Z06] Strange / Interesting steering feel