Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Front splitter with two braces from bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front splitter with two braces from bumper

I was on YouTube and saw a Z with a splitter with two rod braces coming off the bumper ,looked kinda like a NASCAR . Anyone seen it or know who makes it
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which video? there are few people who make their own and use the hiem struts for strength.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

I couldn't find the video again but I think I like it, it's diffident . I couldn't see it to well
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's mine. I just installed these this week. I made them from bits and pieces laying around the shop. They are bolted to the front cross member behind the bumper cover

I have the front bumper cover ZR1 support behind the bumper. The lower brackets thru bolt thru that part. I think it'll stay there until my next off road excursion.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rabrooks; 09-15-2014 at 10:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (08-14-2019)
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

That's it I like it looks nice , maybe chrome rods .thanks a lot rabrooks
Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by The black bitch.
That's it I like it looks nice , maybe chrome rods .thanks a lot rabrooks
The rods are 3/8" stainless steel rod stock threaded with 3/8-24 threads. I had some 3/8" tubing that I threaded that was lighter. I was afraid the thread would pull out if/when I had an off road excursion, so I didn't use them.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Would work if it was bolted to spoiler ?and I believe there functional .
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by The black bitch.
Would work if it was bolted to spoiler ?and I believe there functional .
In order to bolt them to the actual splitter, I would have to bend the rods and change the angle a good bit. Since the splitter is bolted to the inner ZR1 support and the stainless supports are bolted to the same piece, I am confident all is as secure as it can be, barring any orange cones or thick grass piles. I have a mold for the splitter because I am good at ripping it off. I tried making a thick one once. That was a major mistake. It created damage to the bumper cover. The cheaper (read "Thinner) fiberglass break away's are always more forgiving (read cheap chopper gun fiberglass). The cheap units serve a good purpose. They are light weight and they do provide the downforce required.

Last edited by rabrooks; 09-15-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Don't feel bad I have the factory rubber piece and still messed up but it's time move up I have zr1 wing and CF skirts ,I just nerd a CF splitter and those bolts. Thanks for the help
Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Here's mine. I just installed these this week. I made them from bits and pieces laying around the shop. They are bolted to the front cross member behind the bumper cover

I have the front bumper cover ZR1 support behind the bumper. The lower brackets thru bolt thru that part. I think it'll stay there until my next off road excursion.
Did you by chance take a bunch of pictures during this project? I have the fascia reinforcement, but I can still see slight deformation in the lower lip of the fascia from a couple of 170+ MPH runs. I'm thinking it needs something more to keep that bottom lip straight (just like what you have).
Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by EViL427
Did you by chance take a bunch of pictures during this project? I have the fascia reinforcement, but I can still see slight deformation in the lower lip of the fascia from a couple of 170+ MPH runs. I'm thinking it needs something more to keep that bottom lip straight (just like what you have).
I didn't take pictures but I can tell you how I did it.
Remove the bumper cover and the foam block behind it. That exposes the front cross member. Locate where you want the braces and mark it. Mine are at 7.5" from center. I attached a piece of aluminum square tube to the top of the cross member and let it stick out the front about .75" Then I marked the foam block where the brackets are installed. Using a hand saw, I cut a slot in the foam block where the strut will go. Basically I cut out a slot .5" wide from near the aft top of the block to the lower front corner of the block. I threaded some stainless rod and screwed a steel eyelet onto it. Then I attached the eyelet to the aluminum brackets on the cross member. I let them hang down until I was ready to install the bumper cover.I cut corresponding holes in the bumper cover and grill. The slots start about half way down the grill and go up into the horizontal part of the bumper cover opening running forward about 1". Fish the cover on and feed the bars thru the openings.

Bumper cover prep. I made some small brackets to receive the same style eyelets I used on the top brackets. I thru bolted that bracket thru the bumper cover and ZR1 style bumper support. I used thin aluminum plate on the backside as a big washer. I didn't want my screws holding the bracket on to pull thru.

When the bumper cover is in place, thread the lower eyelet onto the stainless rod. Align it with the lower bracket and install a bolt.

The stainless rod had to be 12 7/8" long to be the correct length with the eyelets which were 1" long. I used. The threads on each end of the rod was 7/16" long
Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I didn't take pictures but I can tell you how I did it.
Remove the bumper cover and the foam block behind it. That exposes the front cross member. Locate where you want the braces and mark it. Mine are at 7.5" from center. I attached a piece of aluminum square tube to the top of the cross member and let it stick out the front about .75" Then I marked the foam block where the brackets are installed. Using a hand saw, I cut a slot in the foam block where the strut will go. Basically I cut out a slot .5" wide from near the aft top of the block to the lower front corner of the block. I threaded some stainless rod and screwed a steel eyelet onto it. Then I attached the eyelet to the aluminum brackets on the cross member. I let them hang down until I was ready to install the bumper cover.I cut corresponding holes in the bumper cover and grill. The slots start about half way down the grill and go up into the horizontal part of the bumper cover opening running forward about 1". Fish the cover on and feed the bars thru the openings.

Bumper cover prep. I made some small brackets to receive the same style eyelets I used on the top brackets. I thru bolted that bracket thru the bumper cover and ZR1 style bumper support. I used thin aluminum plate on the backside as a big washer. I didn't want my screws holding the bracket on to pull thru.

When the bumper cover is in place, thread the lower eyelet onto the stainless rod. Align it with the lower bracket and install a bolt.

The stainless rod had to be 12 7/8" long to be the correct length with the eyelets which were 1" long. I used. The threads on each end of the rod was 7/16" long
Perfect. Thank you.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:23 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Thanks for the information .
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

My Splitter uses 1/4 20 7/16 hex bolts to secure the bottom with the top portions. I need to know which manufactures provide struts with the same bolt confirgureation so I cab just screw it in.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Check out the splitter on Mordeths car. Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599941707
Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I guess I have to be more exact. There are 2 parts a top and bottom. The bolts secure through the bottom, I will take pictures tomorrow. So What I need is a strut with a bolt that will screw into the hole and then fasten to the bumper top. . Thanks for the response. If I was just going through he air dam NP but I want to fasten to the connecting point.

Thanks!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Front splitter with two braces from bumper

Quick Reply: [Z06] Front splitter with two braces from bumper