Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] my z06 just died in the middle of the road. help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Z06hopeful
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shlagher
2006 z06, started the car, backed out of the driveway. Turned right and the car shut off. Everything shut off! Not a light on, no info center. Doors won't open, fobs won't work, wtf. Anti theft system? Any info helps, thanks
Check my thread "Calling all Electrical Detectives".
There is the TSB that was mentioned, and the fix.
My issue was not quite like yours, but car was definately wacky
Hope that thread helps... btw the fix was really easy.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I've had that happen a couple of times. Once, I was third in line to drive out onto the Talladega track. No problems before that. Sat for around 10-15 minutes waiting to go out on the track and I hit the start button and everything was dead. Hit stop an repeated again. Nothing. Hit stop and then start again and it fired up like nothing had happened. All that within a couple of minutes. I though there for a few seconds we were going to have to push my car out of the way so the other cars could get on the track.

Happened again this past June(three years later) while on a trip to California. After a couple of tries, the dash lights comes back on and it fires up.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 AM
shlagher
Instructor

Originally Posted by stefuel
I think we need to divert our attention away frome the battery and look elsewhere. There was enough nuts in the battery to start it but then id died like somebody pulled the plug.
Thank you, yes it is not the battery. The car fires up effortlessly. I drove it 30 miles today with no problems. I did get a schematic of all the grounds on the car, didn't have time to check them though. Hopefully this weekend
Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 AM
shlagher
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2StrikeHtr
Sounds like a ground. think I read of others having that problem and that's what it was.

If it's not the battery or ground maybe it has something to do with your fob. I've had my Z act funny and not respond a few times - I mean like it was dead, totally not responsive. Had it happen both when I was inside the car and outside of the car more than once, all times with the fob in my pocket. That prompted me to change the battery in the fob and I don't recall having the problem since.

But it was like: whatever the signal the fob sends to the car it nix'd everything - shut it down good. I just chalked it up to the battery in the fob going south but still having enough juice to send enough intermittent or inconsistent signals that the receiver in the car freaked out. Just a thought ... hope you find the problem.
I thought about the fob being the culprit, I tried my other fob as well. Both worked up until today so I don't think that was it, but I am going to change the batteries in the fobs anyways
Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you accidentally hit the power off button
Old 09-19-2014, 02:30 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

I thought about the fob being the culprit, I tried my other fob as well. Both worked up until today so I don't think that was it, but I am going to change the batteries in the fobs anyways
That still doesn't explain the car dying. Once the car is started, you can completely remove the fob and the car will still run. If a fob isn't detected when you go to shut off the engine, the DIC will ask if you really want to shut off the car (fearing you won't get the car started again without a fob).
Old 09-19-2014, 04:21 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Gremlins
Old 09-20-2014, 12:53 AM
anarchy67
Instructor

alarm malfunction due to a dying battery is possible. 12.2 volts is low. starting the car and the accessories coming on may have been enough to put the voltage below the threshold of the security system. a battery will come up on its own enough to start the car sometimes after sitting. i speak from experience and as a mechanic
Old 09-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

2006 z06, started the car, backed out of the driveway. Turned right and the car shut off. Everything shut off! Not a light on, no info center. Doors won't open, fobs won't work, wtf. Anti theft system? Any info helps, thanks
I know this isn't a zo6, but a 1999 chevy Malibu beater I had died, no lights no crank, just completely died will driving down the road.

while waiting for a tow truck, I kept turning the key, and it magically started up and ran perfect. Took it to autozone they checked the battery and it was ok. I took the alternator out and had autozone run a test. Turned out the alternator was bad. Replaced the alternator, and have driven the car close to a year and no problems.

The Zo6 looks easier to get the alternator out of than that 99 Malibu. Take it to the zone and have them check it.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-20-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

It is because you pulled out of the driveway and turned right. Now had you gone LEFT all would have been well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] my z06 just died in the middle of the road. help