Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Reciprocal tax agreements

Old 09-19-2014, 01:39 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Reciprocal tax agreements

Live in MA and most likely going to buy one of the Z's I found in NY. I have never ventured outside my own state to buy a car. It will be a private sale. What state do I have to pay sales tax to? I hope it's one stop shopping at my own RMV.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to talk to your state DMV.

Some states credit sales tax paid in another state, some do not.

Some states, if you buy below book value, require a signed/notarized statement from the seller verifying the price. Otherwise you will pay tax to your home state on book value.

Proceed with caution. You should be able to get the info, as well as any necessary forms, from your state's DMV website (may not be easy to find).
Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 AM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Since its a private sale, most states will charge you the tax when you register it to your DMV. They usually go with what you guys put down on the bill of sale as selling price to calculate how much tax you'd pay.

In my case, I just bought a car in GA, FL charges 6% of whats on my bill of sale. 6% of $43K is gonna suck *****...in the process of doing this right now.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stefuel
Live in MA and most likely going to buy one of the Z's I found in NY. I have never ventured outside my own state to buy a car. It will be a private sale. What state do I have to pay sales tax to? I hope it's one stop shopping at my own RMV.
I'm in MA, too. You're on the hook for sales tax and excise tax. Sales tax based on the total price you paid for the car and excise tax on the car's "value." By value, MA means the MSRP multiplied by a factor based on how old your Vette is. In MA, if you want to play, you've got to pay.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipRay
Since its a private sale, most states will charge you the tax when you register it to your DMV. They usually go with what you guys put down on the bill of sale as selling price to calculate how much tax you'd pay.

In my case, I just bought a car in GA, FL charges 6% of whats on my bill of sale. 6% of $43K is gonna suck *****...in the process of doing this right now.
In MA, if my info is still correct, showing up with a invoice with a price significantly lower than "reasonable" will ring all the wrong bells and whistles.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Usually you pay applicable taxes in the state where you reside/register/tag.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

With a private sale in NY you will not pay any sales tax. The car's owner will give you a proper bill of sale, a signed copy of the title and you can take the car. One thing to note, NY Issues Titles that show any liens against the vehicle. The title goes to the vehicle owner not the lien holder. If the lien has been paid off as indicated by the lien holder sending a release to the DMV then DMV sends a lien release letter that has to be filed with the title showing the lien has been settled. Check the title and if you see a lien listed on it make sure you get the lien release form letter as well. If the owner doesn't have that assume the lien is still in place until the issue is cleared up by the owner. Once that is done you can buy the car.

Bill
Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in Denver the ****'s just charge you whatever they feel like and there is nothing you can do about it.

For instance, on my 2006 Tundra, which I bought for $9300, they assessed a "taxable value" of $26,000. What? I mean is it not enough to pay sales tax, city tax, state tax, federal tax, and then pay tax on things that have already been taxed it just goes on and on.

Get notified of new replies

To Reciprocal tax agreements

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Reciprocal tax agreements