Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need opinins on Aviaid dry sump upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:11 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Need opinins on Aviaid dry sump upgrade

I have a lovely '08Z. I really don't do HPDX but I have done one at Gateway Motorsports Park and they do have IMO long left turn on turns 3 and 4 at the track, but the car will mainly be autoXing.

Seems in my research that most guys are doing the LPE tank, aviaid tank inset and the pan trap.

So my question to y'all is is the stage III to much for autoxing and two HPDX a year?

I will be doing H/C very soon so I'm trying to get a parts list together and see how much I'm going to blow

Any opinions welcome!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2006
My engine died from oil starvation on OEM tires at Mosport.
I installed the LPE tank and and
Aviad insert and have done many track days in the years since and had no problems. I always keep oil level to full mark, top hole on dipstick.

I have since added a pan baffle as well. Probably didn't need it.

I think the stage III would not be money well spent for your usage. Use those $ for consumables. Pads, gas, tires etc.

JMHO.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was holding off; I thought you'd have more responses by now.

If you're going to be running the engine to redline a lot I'd suggest talking to Katech since I hear issues about the stock pump foaming the oil at high RPM due to rotor speed. I'm far from an expert on that so that's why I suggest you talk to them. The solution for that may be far from cheap (I presume it will involve replacing the stock oil pump with an external unit... I'm not sure how far the Aviaid III goes toward this).

You definitely need the larger sump (IMHO). I'm not sure that running it at the full mark is wise (pumping oil into the intake at, again, high RPM, seems to be a lot of windage in this engine despite the engineers' effort to control it). Baffles and trays may alleviate that pumping, so again you need real LS7 track experts in this area (and again, I certainly am not one).

For a couple HPDE's a year I wouldn't be too concerned about any of this assuming a non-problematic track, but if you're going to toss in a lot of AutoX, if at high RPM, then I'd be looking to bulletproof the oiling system as much as practicable.

For reference (considering my new avatar), the oiling system on my 2009 is all stock except for a catch can and good oil (Redline), but the car is only likely to see a few track events a year on street tires and I tend to short shift. If I was going to really wring it out (7K RPM every shift, tracked every month, more serious tires) then I'd probably be making some changes.

Last edited by Mark2009; 09-21-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Originally Posted by 66L72
I have a 2006
My engine died from oil starvation on OEM tires at Mosport.
I installed the LPE tank and and
Aviad insert and have done many track days in the years since and had no problems. I always keep oil level to full mark, top hole on dipstick.

I have since added a pan baffle as well. Probably didn't need it.

I think the stage III would not be money well spent for your usage. Use those $ for consumables. Pads, gas, tires etc.

JMHO.

Right I agree with you that why I'm seeking guys opinions on this.

Originally Posted by Mark2009
I was holding off; I thought you'd have more responses by now.

If you're going to be running the engine to redline a lot I'd suggest talking to Katech since I hear issues about the stock pump foaming the oil at high RPM due to rotor speed. I'm far from an expert on that so that's why I suggest you talk to them. The solution for that may be far from cheap (I presume it will involve replacing the stock oil pump with an external unit... I'm not sure how far the Aviaid III goes toward this).

You definitely need the larger sump (IMHO). I'm not sure that running it at the full mark is wise (pumping oil into the intake at, again, high RPM, seems to be a lot of windage in this engine despite the engineers' effort to control it). Baffles and trays may alleviate that pumping, so again you need real LS7 track experts in this area (and again, I certainly am not one).

For a couple HPDE's a year I wouldn't be too concerned about any of this assuming a non-problematic track, but if you're going to toss in a lot of AutoX, if at high RPM, then I'd be looking to bulletproof the oiling system as much as practicable.

For reference (considering my new avatar), the oiling system on my 2009 is all stock except for a catch can and good oil (Redline), but the car is only likely to see a few track events a year on street tires and I tend to short shift. If I was going to really wring it out (7K RPM every shift, tracked every month, more serious tires) then I'd probably be making some changes.
I thought I would have gotten more responses too...

So I want to get pretty serious with the autoXing. I used 2nd gear running INVOs and it hooks ok only because I'm so low in the RPM range but its becomes a hand full once I start turning more RPM's. I've tried to watch the G meter but there's way too much going on for me to think about trying to look at the meter so I have no idea what my G's are. If I had to guess around .75ish

Here's a video of me autoX at Holley LS Fest

The ultimate goal is better brakes, fluid, 18's all the way around and a badass tar and being the number one guy next year at Holley LS Fest

Thanks guys and keep the comments coming!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:12 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Tank upgrades first. Needs more cap. and it needs oil control inside the tank. You can do the LPE modifications and the Aviaid insert or just be done with it and do the ARE tank on the car that has all of the goodies built into it.

After that it needs some sort of help at the pan to keep the pickup covered. The inset works, I am just not a fan of having bolts drilled through the pan and sealed with RTV. It works, just not a fan of how it goes together. Again, ARE pan more than solves for that when you do it and you will not have to worry about bolts sticking through the pan.

Next in line would be the pump/pickup. The factory pumps work ok, but even with the upgrades they can still run into issues. Most guys that are just running on the weekends and never see a full slick on the car, probably will not run into this. Full slick cars, that are going to pull a lot of g's at a lot of RPM's for extended periods of time should do the pump.

Those that are building solid engines, that are going to go racing, just bite the bullet and do a real race dry sump and don't worry about any of it. There are so many better options out there it isn't funny but they are all going to require the loss of A/C to do it.

But they do look pretty when they are done....like this Daily system we typically use installed on a customer's Z06

At least that is what we have seen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Anthony @ LGMotorsports:
Kevin Mason (11-23-2022), tommyc6z06 (03-27-2023)
Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

ARE is a very nice setup.

I guess I need to look into it more...
Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 tank with the insert and pan with the tray in it already for sale.. I'm going full track car for TA3 racing... so I need to upgrade.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 09 with the larger tank and was seeing evidence of oil starvation. I run at mid-o, grattan, gingerman. I went with the ARE system. I am pulling data off the car and I didn't get below 20 in the stock setup but I did get below 10psi per 1000 rpm which is a general guieline. With the new system, Andy Pilgrim pushing my car was spot on and it didn't miss a beat.

Neil
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
I have an 06 tank with the insert and pan with the tray in it already for sale.. I'm going full track car for TA3 racing... so I need to upgrade.
How much for the windage tray?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 PM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Is there anyone running the stage III kit from Aviaid?

-If so do you like it?

-Any issues with it?
Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I only have one product from them. It's the oil tank baffle. It prevents left hand turn windage as well. I noticed my catch can always caught a good amount of oil. With the tank baffle, the catch can stays completely dry. My catch can is just off the tank and ties into the tank vent line between the tank and intake bellow.
Cheers

Get notified of new replies

To Need opinins on Aviaid dry sump upgrade

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need opinins on Aviaid dry sump upgrade