Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A couple questions, LS-7

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:26 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questions, LS-7

I arrived at the dealership to replace the heads last week, the service writer wrote it up placed the mat on the floor and the tag on the mirror. I walked back to talk to the Corvette Tech, just to find out he wasn't ready for my Corvette.

That has go me to thinking, I've done many, an old school engine; Just never done anything other than oil changes on my Z-06. So I pulled off the covers and looked her over. I'm wondering if one need remove the injectors. Sure looks like the manifold with the injectors in place could be removed after disconnecting the fuel line? Looks like other than the various hoses, electrical connections, exhaust, coils, alternator and bracket. The process would be somewhat similar to the old sm. blocks?

I have all winter, the tools and lift so crawling around under her would not happen. Anyone else do it yourself? I'm still thinking,(sometimes in my case very dangerous) any ideas...
Old 09-21-2014, 11:36 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

I did it in my garage while up on jack stands, using basic hand tools. Not as hard as I thought, and I changed the cam out while I was in there. The cam swap was much more involved than the heads, though.

There's a DIY here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1582512006
Old 09-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're used to wrenching on Gen I SBC's or BBC's then the LS engine is a bit of a learning curve but far from rocket science. The DIY sticky will get you thru it, just make lots of notes and take lots of pics during the disassembly (there is a boatload of wiring and hoses compared to the old stuff). I found the notes to be more useful than the pics (but take them anyway).

Yes, the intake comes off with the injectors in place. Piece of cake. You'll need to buy some funny tools to get some of the connectors off (plastic thingy to get the fuel line loose from the rail, chain auto parts stores have them).

Get the ARP head bolts, the GM head bolts are a PITA to torque.

And pay extra special attention to the steam crossover pipe... many people, including apparently some shops (dumbass on your dollar award) get it backwards. Also locating pins (2) on each head, some lose those as well. Other than that, and a lot of funny o-ring gaskets, some PITA connections behind the manifold, pretty straightforward. I certainly wouldn't pay somebody $800-$1K in labor to do the swap, again if you've got some engine wrench experience and the time, place, and tools to do the work.

Last edited by Mark2009; 09-22-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:39 AM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark2009
If you're used to wrenching on Gen I SBC's or BBC's then the LS engine is a bit of a learning curve but far from rocket science. The DIY sticky will get you thru it, just make lots of notes and take lots of pics during the disassembly (there is a boatload of wiring and hoses compared to the old stuff). I found the notes to be more useful than the pics (but take them anyway).

Yes, the intake comes off with the injectors in place. Piece of cake. You'll need to buy some funny tools to get some of the connectors off (plastic thingy to get the fuel line loose from the rail, chain auto parts stores have them).

And pay extra special attention to the steam crossover pipe... many people, including apparently some shops (dumbass on your dollar award) get it backwards. Also locating pins (2) on each head, some lose those as well. Other than that, and a lot of funny o-ring gaskets, some PITA connections behind the manifold, pretty straightforward. I certainly wouldn't pay somebody $800-$1K in labor to do the swap, again if you've got some engine wrench experience and the time, place, and tools to do the work.

Thanks Appreciate the help, that thread is most helpful. I copied and will print it out so I need not run back and forth from the shop.

It's just the cost of a mistake that has me worried; Plus never worked on an LS engine. Like you mentioned lot's of little things could lead to big money disaster. Thanks for the imput...
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 AM
darr3239
Instructor

Doing it yourself, unless one's a mechanic and is somewhat used to working on LS7s, seems really daunting to me. I've read there have been issues where the heads weren't re-installed exactly properly, after having the "necessary" work done, resulting in damage. Apparently there are some tricky procedures with the LS7, not to mention how time consuming the job is.

Some guys think they are sitting on a time bomb with the reported valve issues. But then again, getting an engine taken apart and parts replaced, seems to be a potential time bomb also. This thread is good reading: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...prc-heads.html

Last edited by darr3239; 09-22-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

LS7s are no different than ls1/2/3/6/9 when it comes to heads. There is no magic voodoo or special tricks.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mark2009

Mark, what did you use for exhaust valves and springs?Who did your machine work?Sorry to ask if you have already posted this information, I never saw it. Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 03:17 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
I arrived at the dealership to replace the heads last week, the service writer wrote it up placed the mat on the floor and the tag on the mirror. I walked back to talk to the Corvette Tech, just to find out he wasn't ready for my Corvette.

That has go me to thinking, I've done many, an old school engine; Just never done anything other than oil changes on my Z-06. So I pulled off the covers and looked her over. I'm wondering if one need remove the injectors. Sure looks like the manifold with the injectors in place could be removed after disconnecting the fuel line? Looks like other than the various hoses, electrical connections, exhaust, coils, alternator and bracket. The process would be somewhat similar to the old sm. blocks?

I have all winter, the tools and lift so crawling around under her would not happen. Anyone else do it yourself? I'm still thinking,(sometimes in my case very dangerous) any ideas...
It usually takes me between 4 and 5 hours to do a complete head swap depending on whether or not I'm in a hurry. I don't have an actual writeup but if you really wanted one I guess I could probably throw one together fairly easily.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have tools and a lift? The only thing left for not doing it yourself is... excuses!

We are are here to walk through any questions or mistakes and you're not in a rush... no one is gonna do a more thorough job than yourself!

I had never worked on a V8 let alone an LS before I did heads and cam on mine. With the help of the internet anything is possible.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Feel like a vacation? There is no competent specialty shop near my home in the NW. The Corvette tech only does Corvettes and Cad's. He is very knowledgeable, that's all he does. Tying up their shop for the rebuild turnaround they don't like. I would need to have heads ready to bolt on for them to do the work. Most of the head vender's want to R&R your heads. That would tie up that dealer lift for around a month, they say not. I have found in the past, attempting to save money has cost me dearly in the long run.

I'm an "Old Timer" who doesn't do face book or most any other social electronic stuff. (the few friends, I would rather have sit down or phone conversation)
Corvette Forum, thus far, a positive experience, friendly helpful knowledgeable folks, Thanks...
I don't really have time to travel these days but as luck would have it (good luck for you, not so much for me) I'll be doing a head swap this weekend. If you want I'll be sure to take tons of pictures and then start a thread with all the pertinent steps listed out.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:55 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I don't really have time to travel these days but as luck would have it (good luck for you, not so much for me) I'll be doing a head swap this weekend. If you want I'll be sure to take tons of pictures and then start a thread with all the pertinent steps listed out.
That would be GREAT.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Feel like a vacation? There is no competent specialty shop near my home in the NW. The Corvette tech only does Corvettes and Cad's. He is very knowledgeable, that's all he does. Tying up their shop for the rebuild turnaround they don't like. I would need to have heads ready to bolt on for them to do the work. Most of the head vender's want to R&R your heads. That would tie up that dealer lift for around a month, they say not. I have found in the past, attempting to save money has cost me dearly in the long run.

I'm an "Old Timer" who doesn't do face book or most any other social electronic stuff. (the few friends, I would rather have sit down or phone conversation)
Corvette Forum, thus far, a positive experience, friendly helpful knowledgeable folks, Thanks...
I know dealers and their mechanics don't want to tie up a lift that can be making money for them. However, I am not sure why they would have to tie up the lift for a month. When my engine dropped a valve GM directed the dealer mechanic to pull a head to verify the problem. They pushed the car into the garage where he pulled the head, closed the hood and pushed the car back outside where it sat for 4 more weeks.

Your dealer should be able to do the same thing. Removing both heads doesn't mean the car can't be pushed around to get it out of the way while the heads are sent out for rework.

Bill
Old 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Where in the NW do you live? There are a few shops around who specialize in corvettes.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I know dealers and their mechanics don't want to tie up a lift that can be making money for them. However, I am not sure why they would have to tie up the lift for a month. When my engine dropped a valve GM directed the dealer mechanic to pull a head to verify the problem. They pushed the car into the garage where he pulled the head, closed the hood and pushed the car back outside where it sat for 4 more weeks.

Your dealer should be able to do the same thing. Removing both heads doesn't mean the car can't be pushed around to get it out of the way while the heads are sent out for rework.

Bill
That's kina what I would have thought, just relaying what was said.

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Where in the NW do you live? There are a few shops around who specialize in corvettes.
I'm south of Olympia kinda half way between Seattle and Portland, in the country. (Thurston county). I'm aware of Corvette & High Performance, had satisfactory work done there in the past. Larry and Karen sold the business a couple years ago, and I don't know the new people; Don't know any of the mechanics.

There is also a shop in Centralia, but you need to bring stuff to them. There's Johnson Machine shop East of Ex. 99, don't know them either. There is a Performance shop in Chehalis, we'll leave it at that.

I have read the post another member referred me to; (pictures, detailed instructions) I'm about ready to do it myself. Talked for a long period yesterday and WCCH will be doing the heads. We came to a "Meeting" of the minds how/which parts to use, I'm comfortable with them as Jason @ Katech has sent them work in the past. I took a bunch of digital pictures to help with the reassembly of the hoses and electrical connections. Going to use ARP fasteners, don't have to worry about those "Torque to Yield" bolts.

It will be like a "Grown Up" model build, as they will be sending the heads back with gaskets, ARP 12PT Hex fasteners, every thing needed. I'm just going to take my time and enjoy the experience.

Thank's To Everyone for the helpful suggestions. It will be a while, but I'll do a follow up when she's done...

PS Unless I change my mind again, I believe I'm on like, the third or fourth idea...

Last edited by MyLastCorvette; 09-23-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Default A Special Thank You to TRSCobra, and everyone who has made suggestions!

It's going slow, and I refer often to your detailed post. With-out those instructions, things would have been much more difficult. I'm starting to see some real genius in the engineering of the motor and accessories. That bit of advice about stopping when stumped was a real good suggestion; I was cussing the engineering of the alternator bracket, until I re-read your section, addressing that removal process...
PS now that I'm started, there will be work on the suspension, body, brakes, before she rolls next summer?

Last edited by MyLastCorvette; 10-04-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

It's going slow, and I refer often to your detailed post. With-out those instructions, things would have been much more difficult. I'm starting to see some real genius in the engineering of the motor and accessories. That bit of advice about stopping when stumped was a real good suggestion; I was cussing the engineering of the alternator bracket, until I re-read your section, addressing that removal process...
PS now that I'm started, there will be work on the suspension, body, brakes, before she rolls next summer?

Oh don't thank me. That's Jeffreystar's write up that I followed when I did my heads. It's not a bad job if you have the right tools and take your time! A word of advice: get the ARP thread chasers for the head bolt holes. Using the stock bolts with a slot grinded into them doesn't remove nearly enough junk from the threads.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:17 PM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Well then Thanks again, to all who made suggestions. Do you know how/where to acquire those thread chasers. My build will include the ARP fasteners, I didn't know they addressed the cleaning...

Get notified of new replies

To A couple questions, LS-7

Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Well then Thanks again, to all who made suggestions. Do you know how/where to acquire those thread chasers. My build will include the ARP fasteners, I didn't know they addressed the cleaning...
Here's a place that sells both:
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...egory_Code=TOE

I got mine separately on amazon, but paid about the same price. I spent a few hours getting all the gunk out using the stock bolts with slots ground in them, but that barely made a dent in cleaning the holes compared to these chasers.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
It usually takes me between 4 and 5 hours to do a complete head swap depending on whether or not I'm in a hurry. I don't have an actual writeup but if you really wanted one I guess I could probably throw one together fairly easily.
That'd be great!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:16 AM
MyLastCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
Here's a place that sells both:
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/mer...egory_Code=TOE

I got mine separately on amazon, but paid about the same price. I spent a few hours getting all the gunk out using the stock bolts with slots ground in them, but that barely made a dent in cleaning the holes compared to these chasers.
Thank You, will be ordering...

Quick Reply: [Z06] A couple questions, LS-7