Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hot Engine A/C OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 AM
JadAzzam21
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Engine A/C OFF?

I sometimes get this Hot Engine A/C OFF warning come up and when it does my thermostat goes all the way to 0 as if it's off. Anyone know what sensor or what is causing this? Also my A/C doesn't blow cold air but does blow. Could this be related?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:11 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

When the computer senses high engine coolant temps, it's supposed to go into limp mode; limiting power and shuts down the a/c compressor (which makes the addl heat) to protect the engine from heat damage.

Unless your driving the car heavily in high outdoor temps, I doubt it's over heating. I see you in a hot climate, so yeah, the car could be getting warm.

I would first eliminate whether the car is actually overheating. If not, then look at that sensor.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
stew1100
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same problem. Make sure the connection to the water temperture sensor is connected properly. You might want to pull it off and re-connect it. It is on the front of the drivers side head just below the alternator. Then clear the error with a code reader. If it keeps coming back on, then replace the sensor. It is about $35.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Losing connection from the water temp sensor. Like the person above said, check the connetion. Then replace the sensor, if it still does it, you got to trace the wires and figure out where the issue is.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 AM
JadAzzam21
Advanced

Originally Posted by tim414
When the computer senses high engine coolant temps, it's supposed to go into limp mode; limiting power and shuts down the a/c compressor (which makes the addl heat) to protect the engine from heat damage.

Unless your driving the car heavily in high outdoor temps, I doubt it's over heating. I see you in a hot climate, so yeah, the car could be getting warm.

I would first eliminate whether the car is actually overheating. If not, then look at that sensor.
Limp mode is the ugliest thing I've ever encountered. My car was running so horribly and it was weird because the engine light started blinking then when it reverted back to solid the car drove fine.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 AM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is your fan coming on? if not, that's the problem. I could be a blown relay (fuse). If your fan doesnt come on, your A/C will not blow cold air.. I just had a similar problem. Fuse blown, and needed new fan control module.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM
JadAzzam21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike.D
Is your fan coming on? if not, that's the problem. I could be a blown relay (fuse). If your fan doesnt come on, your A/C will not blow cold air.. I just had a similar problem. Fuse blown, and needed new fan control module.
My fan actually doesn't come on. Where is this fuse located exactly. I'm missing my fuse box lid
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Fuse box info for the 2008 Z06 starts on page 5-96 of the owners manual.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tte_owners.pdf
Old 09-24-2014, 12:12 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JadAzzam21
My fan actually doesn't come on. Where is this fuse located exactly. I'm missing my fuse box lid
If your fan is not switching on, then the car IS getting warm....JMO, but I would stop driving it till you get a handle on the over heating issue. No sense taking a chance on engine damage caused by over heating, in my opinion anyway....

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Engine A/C OFF?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hot Engine A/C OFF?