Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 20013 corvette z06 low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:06 PM
kidpacer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20013 corvette z06 low oil pressure

Need a little help here, my 2013 z06 needs a 3rd motor with only 4200 miles. Oil pressure drop to 5 psi at idle with 35 psi or so at 4000 rpm. What's causing low oil pressure . GM is sending out an engineer to examine oil pump, my Napa gold 7060 oil filter and to see if any tuning has been done, I installed a ram air intake only and change the oil at 1200 miles , the service department said I was low on oil, my reply was it was in the limits when it came in, not sure what's going on, sounds like they trying to get out of paying for another motor, what should I do next
Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would lay odds you have an oil pump pressure bypass stuck open.

Was oil warm and checked 5 to 10 min after shutdown? Many mechanics dont know the process for checking the oil on a Z.

Of course many owners dont know to warm the oil before getting on it, bypassing alot of oil which can stick bypass open.

You could be 6 qts. low and not affect oil pressure in low load driving.

May be worth your time to do a Blackstone oil analysis before they pull pump.

3rd motor in 4200 miles???????
Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM
qwknuf6
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kidpacer
Need a little help here, my 2013 z06 needs a 3rd motor with only 4200 miles. Oil pressure drop to 5 psi at idle with 35 psi or so at 4000 rpm. What's causing low oil pressure . GM is sending out an engineer to examine oil pump, my Napa gold 7060 oil filter and to see if any tuning has been done, I installed a ram air intake only and change the oil at 1200 miles , the service department said I was low on oil, my reply was it was in the limits when it came in, not sure what's going on, sounds like they trying to get out of paying for another motor, what should I do next
Do the replacement engines come with new oil pump? all oil lines replaced with first 2 engines ? A sticking relief valve could cause the low oil pressure .
Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Go to the Dealer and Buy and AC Delco filter and stick it on the car before a GM engineer looks at the car. You want every bit of insurance GM won't blame the problem on the oil filter.

And put the factory intake back on it as well before the engineer looks at it.

The dealer probably did not follow the correct procedure to check the oil. The engine needs to be brought up to at least 175 degrees oil temp. The car should then be turned off and oil checked to after 5 minutes and not more than 15 minutes after it was shut off. Go look at your owners manual, and point this out to the dealer. Most dealrs are dumb***** on servicing the dry sump cars.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blkbrd69

3rd motor in 4200 miles???????
The OP could be a troll. junior member just joined in September.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and what I think is sound advice if he is on the up and up ---- 3 motors in 42oo miles on a 2013 Car is a bit outrageous
Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] the service department said I was low on oil, my reply was it was in the limits when it came in, not sure what's going on,
Sounds like the service dept doesn't know how to check the oil.

Hopefully the GM 'expert' will.

sounds like they trying to get out of paying for another motor, what should I do next
Pray, and if that doesn't work start shopping lawyers. But wait until the GM rep weighs in before going legal.

Depending on how long you've had the car and the law in your state you may be able to make a lemon claim and get them to buy the car back from you.

What's causing low oil pressure .
Most likely either a spun bearing or a malfunctioning oil pump. If the car has been cranking slowly it's a bearing. They'll know more when they drain the oil, and you want to be present for that if you think they're going to claim a low oil level issue (make them drain it into an empty container so the amount of oil can be measured. If they refuse to do this, get them on your camera phone video and record that refusal).

You also should explain to them that it has two drain plugs on the pan, and that both need to be removed to drain all the oil. Seriously.

Last edited by Mark2009; 09-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
The OP could be a troll. junior member just joined in September.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and what I think is sound advice if he is on the up and up ---- 3 motors in 42oo miles on a 2013 Car is a bit outrageous
Nope he's a troll until HE proves otherwise
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM
kidpacer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, first motor having trouble starting as if it had a weat battery, deal replaced motor at 1200 miles w/ new oil lines and sump, I babied it for the frist 1km, changed oil at 1200 and started to play alittle. feel good about this motor, i installed an intake around 3k and ran great, then oil pressure started dropping faster and faster. oil temp was 198 w/ 5 psi at idle, let set for 5 mins and checked it 20 times, i was good, I thinking its a sticky oil pump pressure valve , this is my 2nd z06 and u coulded hurt it . GM engineer will be in on Monday to inspect motor. will update
Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Thanks, first motor having trouble starting as if it had a weat battery, deal replaced motor at 1200 miles w/ new oil lines and sump, I babied it for the frist 1km, changed oil at 1200 and started to play alittle. feel good about this motor, i installed an intake around 3k and ran great, then oil pressure started dropping faster and faster. oil temp was 198 w/ 5 psi at idle, let set for 5 mins and checked it 20 times, i was good, I thinking its a sticky oil pump pressure valve , this is my 2nd z06 and u coulded hurt it . GM engineer will be in on Monday to inspect motor. will update
KidPacer --- are you talking about a Zo6 or an AMCpacer like the one pictured below - as your handle might indicate.

Get notified of new replies

To 20013 corvette z06 low oil pressure

Quick Reply: [Z06] 20013 corvette z06 low oil pressure