Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I hate these Threads butttt

Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

The reason why there is no recall is because only 2 complaints were filed with the NHTSA. Seriously, far more people took 5 minutes to fill out the form online about the headlight issue, which was promptly recalled. Op, you should file. Other owners that suffered the same fate should file.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I'm bored today Paul so I will call you on this

I agree that both valves as you say are exposed to the same laws of physics. Why don't you agree that those same laws of physics predict that a solid valve will withstand more stress. GM uses a hollow sodium filled valve to save weight and hopefully transfer heat away from the combustion chamber, not because they are stronger. If my statements are not accurate why is it that a sold stem is used on the intake valves?

DH
The main reason for the hollow exhaust (and Ti intakes) was to make the valve train as light as possible so that the engine could obtain the RPM to make the desired HP without valve train instablility (i.e. bounce).

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ginepress.html
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by grcor
Sorry to hear about you engine. Can you tell us if your engine was using oil and did you see an increase in oil usage over time? Was the value train making noise, was it louder than before?
It was not using oil or making any noise never had any kind of problem at all
Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Minkster
The main reason for the hollow exhaust (and Ti intakes) was to make the valve train as light as possible so that the engine could obtain the RPM to make the desired HP without valve train instablility (i.e. bounce).

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ginepress.html
Rich

I said WEIGHT, as in light for the valve train. And I think the sodium was for the stated reason too as surely in does not make anything lighter.

Besides, Michael does not need any help

DH
Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Rich

I said WEIGHT, as in light for the valve train. And I think the sodium was for the stated reason too as surely in does not make anything lighter.

Besides, Michael does not need any help

DH
Yeap, I know you were talking weight, but even at a difference of 100 grams per valve, you're talking less than 2 lbs difference on a 3200 lb car. I just wanted to point out that the reason for light valves is to allow high RPMs while keeping the valve train stable, that's all. Not looking to help or hinder anyone.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that both valves as you say are exposed to the same laws of physics. Why don't you agree that those same laws of physics predict that a solid valve will withstand more stress. GM uses a hollow sodium filled valve to save weight and hopefully transfer heat away from the combustion chamber, not because they are stronger. If my statements are not accurate why is it that a sold stem is used on the intake valves?

DH
You have ASSumed the solid valve will withstand more stress, and it might, or it might NOT, YOU don't actually know.

Fact is, a solid SS valve WILL eventually fail exactly the same as the stock valve and this has already been proven with Madsen's engine. IF as many SS valves had been run in as many worn out guides by as many cars for as many miles as stock valves, there is no doubt we would have far more examples of SS valves failing. Whether these failures would be more or less than stock valves, neither you nor I know the answer to that. The difference is, YOU claim to know the answer based on absolutely nothing other than ASSumptions.

In fact your ASSumption that just because something is solid it will be stronger than something that is hollow, is incorrect.

You have absolutely no proof or evidence that a solid stem valve is stronger than a hollow one, and in fact the opposite could well be true, which is why ASSumptions are so dangerous.

BTW, welcome back to the club that runs STOCK hollow exhaust valves...Rickie must be disappointed that you have joined the dark side

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:03 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't get it...I simply don't get it

Why do some people wish to drive and take a chance that nothing would happen to their motor?

Why not just reach out to any well respected vendor with a proven heads repair track record and take care of the issue and drive worry free? Why run the risk of hurting your motor big time, or yourself or others if your motor happens to let go the ghost (drop a valve) if traveling at a very high speed?

Oh well, Que Sera....Sera

I can honestly say that we have been batting 1.000 when it comes to these heads repairing issues...not one person has dropped a valve or suffered any heads damage after implementing our heads repair program.

Back in late 2009 into mid 2010, I was nailed to the cross for bringing this very heads/valve dropping issues to the forum. I was tagged with various names and now, years later, the issue remains. Some folks finally listened and fixed the issues; many refuse to do so and then come in here to tell us what happened. Believe me, I don't think people are surprised anymore.

My advise...DO SOMETHING about it!!!!

To the OP, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Let's hope your local GM dealer/shop fixes your issue...IF under some sort of warranty.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DH
The objective is not to select a valve that would allow for more stress, but to eliminate the cause of and reduction of stress.

Without addressing the cause of this stress , in time even unobtanium would fail.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeap, I know you were talking weight, but even at a difference of 100 grams per valve, you're talking less than 2 lbs difference on a 3200 lb car. I just wanted to point out that the reason for light valves is to allow high RPMs while keeping the valve train stable, that's all. Not looking to help or hinder anyone.
uh you should read a bit more and understand about how weight impacts valvetrains before making that statement.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I don't get it...I simply don't get it

Why do some people wish to drive and take a chance that nothing would happen to their motor?

Why not just reach out to any well respected vendor with a proven heads repair track record and take care of the issue and drive worry free? Why run the risk of hurting your motor big time, or yourself or others if your motor happens to let go the ghost (drop a valve) if traveling at a very high speed?

Oh well, Que Sera....Sera

I can honestly say that we have been batting 1.000 when it comes to these heads repairing issues...not one person has dropped a valve or suffered any heads damage after implementing our heads repair program.

Back in late 2009 into mid 2010, I was nailed to the cross for bringing this very heads/valve dropping issues to the forum. I was tagged with various names and now, years later, the issue remains. Some folks finally listened and fixed the issues; many refuse to do so and then come in here to tell us what happened. Believe me, I don't think people are surprised anymore.

My advise...DO SOMETHING about it!!!!

To the OP, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Let's hope your local GM dealer/shop fixes your issue...IF under some sort of warranty.

Thanks,
Carlos
If you read some other threads on this topic, some of the LS7 owners are still in denial about this issue. Why should they spend money to fix a problem that does not exist? Except it does exist. But that explains why they have not addressed it.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silvrhand
uh you should read a bit more and understand about how weight impacts valvetrains before making that statement.
Read my post (s), that's exactly what I'm talking about; valvetrain dynamics, not static weight.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
You have ASSumed the solid valve will withstand more stress, and it might, or it might NOT, YOU don't actually know.

Fact is, a solid SS valve WILL eventually fail exactly the same as the stock valve and this has already been proven with Madsen's engine. IF as many SS valves had been run in as many worn out guides by as many cars for as many miles as stock valves, there is no doubt we would have far more examples of SS valves failing. Whether these failures would be more or less than stock valves, neither you nor I know the answer to that. The difference is, YOU claim to know the answer based on absolutely nothing other than ASSumptions.

In fact your ASSumption that just because something is solid it will be stronger than something that is hollow, is incorrect.

You have absolutely no proof or evidence that a solid stem valve is stronger than a hollow one, and in fact the opposite could well be true, which is why ASSumptions are so dangerous.

BTW, welcome back to the club that runs STOCK hollow exhaust valves...Rickie must be disappointed that you have joined the dark side

Cheers, Paul.
I haven't assumed anything. I have talk many professionals in this business and no one but you disputes that solid valves are stronger.

Just to be clear I currently have stock heads because I now have a warranty. The day before this warranty is up I will be back at WCCH having Richard fix my heads as I did before.

DH
Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
The objective is not to select a valve that would allow for more stress, but to eliminate the cause of and reduction of stress.

Without addressing the cause of this stress , in time even unobtanium would fail.
Everything eventually fails. If solids only lasted 10K longer than hollows in the same environment I bet many would find that attractive.

DH
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything eventually fails. If solids only lasted 10K longer than hollows in the same environment I bet many would find that attractive.

DH
Yeah BUT if it's only 9,999 miles longer you are just as f*ucked...never mind that you pulled that 10,000 mile figure out of your a$$ and have no clue or any evidence as to whether it is remotely possible

FACT is that with good guides the stock hollow valves have lasted over 200,000 miles. So the only logical reason to promote the use of 'stronger' SS valves is because you have no confidence in your heads actually being 'fixed'. And you know, if I got my heads 'fixed' my someone why still thinks the stock exhaust valves are what causes excessive guide wear (although how they wear out the intake guides too hasn't yet been explained to me) I too would be all over solid SS valves, in fact I'd be looking to invest in some those special unobtanium valves mentioned earlier because they MIGHT last 10,001 miles longer than hollow valves

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:50 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Read my post (s), that's exactly what I'm talking about; valvetrain dynamics, not static weight.
wow somehow I totally missed that.. need more coffee today my bad..

Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven't assumed anything. I have talk many professionals in this business and no one but you disputes that solid valves are stronger.

Just to be clear I currently have stock heads because I now have a warranty. The day before this warranty is up I will be back at WCCH having Richard fix my heads as I did before.

DH
Good luck Howie.

It was when I found that my aftermarket warranty would probably not cover me in the event of a valve failure, because of the way it was sold to me, that I did the same thing.

Seeing how these stock valves have shown a consistent pattern of failure, even in low mileage examples, I wouldn't own this car without either an iron clad warranty in the event of valve failure, or a stronger exhaust valve than the stock one, which has already left fist sized holes in too many engines in here. The original poster's simply being the most recent.

Someone is going to be next. Let's hope it's not Paul.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-02-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71

Not true.

Get notified of new replies

To I hate these Threads butttt

Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Yeah BUT if it's only 9,999 miles longer you are just as f*ucked...never mind that you pulled that 10,000 mile figure out of your a$$ and have no clue or any evidence as to whether it is remotely possible

FACT is that with good guides the stock hollow valves have lasted over 200,000 miles. So the only logical reason to promote the use of 'stronger' SS valves is because you have no confidence in your heads actually being 'fixed'. And you know, if I got my heads 'fixed' my someone why still thinks the stock exhaust valves are what causes excessive guide wear (although how they wear out the intake guides too hasn't yet been explained to me) I too would be all over solid SS valves, in fact I'd be looking to invest in some those special unobtanium valves mentioned earlier because they MIGHT last 10,001 miles longer than hollow valves

Cheers, Paul.
Paul

Why are you so preoccupied with "ASSume" and "A$$". Can't you just have a simple and logical discussion.

I will stick with my clearly delineated points above.

I'm considering doing a poll of our members to see how many think their stock OEM hollow valves are as strong as a solid one. Then you can argue your point with all the respondants as well as well known vendors such as Carlos.

DH
Old 10-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Good luck Howie.

It was when I found that my aftermarket warranty would probably not cover me in the event of a valve failure, because of the way it was sold to me, that I did the same thing.

Seeing how these stock valves have shown a consistent pattern of failure, even in low mileage examples, I wouldn't own this car without either an iron clad warranty in the event of valve failure, or a stronger exhaust valve than the stock one, which has already left fist sized holes in too many engines in here. The original poster's simply being the most recent.

Someone is going to be next. Let's hope it's not Paul.
If I was not given the personal assurances at every level by my local GM dealership that my V1 warranty will be executed in the same way a GMPP would be then you know my heads would be in the shop right now.

DH
Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DH
Sorry , don't understand your comment.

Are You suggesting you would prefer to get an additional 10k miles using S.S. as opposed to correcting the reason for the failures or as you put it, the environment? Correct the environment and problem becomes history.

The oem valve is not the cause of failure, it is the victim of the environment it has been placed in.

Do you still not believe this??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] I hate these Threads butttt