Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] B & B "Bullet" exhaust with them mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:05 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Default B & B "Bullet" exhaust with them mufflers

I see two different styles of B & B Bullet exhaust. One is available without mufflers for the C6 generations that came with 2 1/2" exhaust pipes.

Then there is the WTF Bullet design WITH mufflers for 3" exhaust like that found on 2013 C6 Z06.

So, can anyone explain B & B's method of madness adding mufflers to their Bullet design?

I mean, I am no exhaust expert, but it still doesn't make sense adding mufflers to a Bullet design with higher flow pipes.

When I spoke to a rep at B & B, they said there is no loss of HP or difference between the 2 1/2" pipes and the newest design with mufflers. But when I asked then why did you add mufflers? I seemed to get a riggamarole type answer.

Do you think it has anything to do with big .Gov cracking down on exhaust manufacturers for noise compliane issues? Because honestly, I like the straight through design and sound best. I liked the sound and gains on their C5 Bullet straight through pipe design. I just can't comprehend the newest design that a Bullet exhaust with muflers has no sound difference and no loss of HP. I am almost tempted to order the older design and have it customized to fit just to get the straight through NO MUFFLER design.

Has anyone swapped out their stock 3" mufflers for the newest B & B Bullet design with mufflers?

How is the sound? Was it worth the change going from stock 3" with mufflers to B & B Bullet with their newest muffler system? Or is it a waste of money?

I saw one guy on the forum had the newest B & B Bullet design ordered without the mufflers but when I inquired about doing the same, I got the one two shuffle.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:31 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Too many people complained about the loud, harsh noise of the Bullet system on the regular C6. I think B&B thought they would appeal to a wider market by toning them down a bit on the Z06. I have the Z06 Bullets with the little mufflers and they are a big improvement in sound over the stock setup even with the fuse pulled. They aren't quite as loud as the Bullets on my regular C6 were. You can have B&B "gut" the muffler. My friend did and it's louder than mine and a bit more raspy.

IMO it's worth the upgrade. They sound muscular. The system looks great as well.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

CapeVette - Excellent input.

By chance, would you have a YouTube video loaded of your B & B Bullet exhaust with mufflers?

I'd love to hear it.

As for gutting the muffler vs eliminating it all together, I'd rather avoid the rasp sound notes. Had that with my GHLs on my C5 and it sounded ok, but not as good as the Bullets.

Interested to hear yours if possible.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
CapeVette - Excellent input.

By chance, would you have a YouTube video loaded of your B & B Bullet exhaust with mufflers?

I'd love to hear it.

As for gutting the muffler vs eliminating it all together, I'd rather avoid the rasp sound notes. Had that with my GHLs on my C5 and it sounded ok, but not as good as the Bullets.

Interested to hear yours if possible.
Sorry, I don't have any videos. I'm a bit techno challenged. They do sound nice though
Old 10-06-2014, 10:28 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think bullets are a waste of money. When my car had a cam, milled heads and arh headers I put bullets on my c6 Z06. All it did was drone drone drone. It was really annoying. The mufflers are supposed to reduce drone a bit compared to completely straight mufflers. The sound outside was "nice." Different, deeper, but not louder compared to my oem 2011 system with the baffles opened. From the inside it sounded just like my oem 2011 system, except it burbled a bit more but never actually firecracker popped.

The unpleasant drone and the fact that it made my entire interior rattle like a tin can was the reason why these were off my car in 3 days. It simply makes the ride unpleasant.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Here's a list of idle/rev clips I've made of the different exhaust setups I've had (I should have had the camera a few feet further back):
2011 OEM:

Bullets (notice how the pattering of the idle is reduced):

Nooooo Mufflers:

The Bullet's Don't Pop like the 2011 OEM Mufflers:
Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have stock manifolds and cats the bullets are definitely an improvement over stock. It you have longtubes with highflow cats or no cats it could be a little overwhelming for most. I personally like my exhaust on the loud side so I also wasn't too happy with the fact the c6 z06 system has the small muffler cans at the rear. When I first installed the bullets I was a little disappointed I was expecting them to be louder.

My friend also has them on his 08 z06 and was also expecting more when he installed them. We always wondered what it would sound like without the small mufflers so this past weekend we had a muffler shop cut off the small cans and weld in a section of straight pipe. The difference in sound was noticeable immediately. It still has that deepness to it but now it has a little more raspiness and crackle to it. It dos'nt sound so muted and muffled anymore.

At wot it just screams and it also sounds awesome on deceleration, you get those pops and gurgles. We did take it on the highway for a few minutes and although there is a bit more drone than there was before with the small cans, it isn't unbearable by any means. We could still talk and nothing inside rattled or buzzed. With both cars side by side at idle you can tell the difference also. His car sounds deeper and louder at idle. Both our cars still have stock manifolds and cats. I have longtubes and an off road x pipe that I will probably install over the winter with possibly and cam so Iam not 100% sure I will remove the small mufflers.

-jp
Old 10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

I'd like to see a pic of these modded bullets!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

JP TT AWD, Can you post up a video of your buddy's ride with the fabricated Bullets?

IWANTAZNOW, your exhaust sounded good with (I guess) stock exhaust in the first video. The Bullets really changed your exhaust note in the second video...I think the first sounded better.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
JP TT AWD, Can you post up a video of your buddy's ride with the fabricated Bullets?

IWANTAZNOW, your exhaust sounded good with (I guess) stock exhaust in the first video. The Bullets really changed your exhaust note in the second video...I think the first sounded better.
I will take a couple of pics and make a lil video. I will try to upload it tonight.

-Jp
Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Here is the link to a crappy cell phone vid i just made. Sounds a lil better with head phones, i will try to get a better vid tommorow.

-Jp
Old 10-06-2014, 09:06 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

JP TT AWD, thanks for loading!!

Sounds better than what I was expecting. How much did it run to cut the mufflers out and weld in straight sections? Just trying to get some idea how much this whole set will run. since B & B went sissy on the Bullets.

Oh, it sounded good on my end as I use AudioEngine A5+ Monitors for computer speakers.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 10-06-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

They charged my friend $120, they had to remove the axle backs to do all the work. So that added to the labor costs. He measured the mufflers length and cut a section of 3" pipe a little longer than the mufflers. He then flared both ends of the pipe and slipped it over the b&b pipes then welded them all the way around.

-jp
Old 10-06-2014, 10:05 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jp_tt_awd
They charged my friend $120, they had to remove the axle backs to do all the work. So that added to the labor costs. He measured the mufflers length and cut a section of 3" pipe a little longer than the mufflers. He then flared both ends of the pipe and slipped it over the b&b pipes then welded them all the way around.

-jp
I'd pay that just to have B & B eliminate the mufflers and have a cleaner, one-piece original look from the shop.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Do your modded bullets snap crackle pop as much as my 2011 oem system in my drive by video?

If you're chopping the muffler out of the bullet exhaust, wouldn't it be cheapest to just chop the factory muffers out and replace with 2 straight pipes? That's pretty much what your doing except you'll need to buy y pipes and tips to finish it.

If you call B&B I believe they do custom orders where they remove all baffling inside the muffler, aka...gutted.

The bullet tips do look exceptionally beautiful. The perfect size and shape. Not too big and they polish up nicely lol
Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Do your modded bullets snap crackle pop as much as my 2011 oem system in my drive by video?

If you're chopping the muffler out of the bullet exhaust, wouldn't it be cheapest to just chop the factory muffers out and replace with 2 straight pipes? That's pretty much what your doing except you'll need to buy y pipes and tips to finish it.

If you call B&B I believe they do custom orders where they remove all baffling inside the muffler, aka...gutted.

The bullet tips do look exceptionally beautiful. The perfect size and shape. Not too big and they polish up nicely lol
They do crackle and pop quite a bit, I haven't driven around in it enough to really try it out.

Yes it would be cheaper to just straight pipe it, but that's not what we did. We only removed the 2 small mufflers from the bullet system the resonators are still there. Me and my friend both love the bullet system just wanted a little more sound and a cleaner/crisper sound, that's exactly what we got. I love the round 4" tips on the b&b exhaust, I also think its the best looking exhust for the c6.

If I were to order a new set of bullets I would definitely have b&b delete/gut the small mufflers. Ive had them on my car for a year and a half already, I never got to hear a car with the small mufflers deleted I was always curious though. Prior to the bullets I had cut open and modded my stock cans but wasn't satisfied with that at all. It sounded to tinny and like a ups truck if I was just cruising around with the baffles open. The only time it sounded good to me was at wot. After I re install my longtubes and off road x I would like to eventually find a set of gen III fusions, ive heard nothing but good things about those.

-jp
Old 10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

A couple of drive by vids from tonight. My buddy dosent know how to rev match downshift like iwantaz06know but these vids give you a little better idea at the pops and crackles on deceleration. I drove around behind him quite a bit tonight and it sounds wicked, definately pops and crackles alot.

Get notified of new replies

To B & B "Bullet" exhaust with them mufflers

Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the videos definitely burbles! Do you have a photo of the exhaust modified? I'm not sure which part you removed. In looking at the c6 Z06 bullets, I see the little raised section that would be immediately over the differential. And then I see the big cans (the mufflers???) that connect to the y pipes then 4 tips.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

I guess from what I read above, cheapest scenario could be to modify my stock exhaust. But I am not so sure I'd liek to do that. It may be cheaper, but somewhat defeating the purpose in case I wanted to go back to stock or sell the exhaust.

I really loved teh B & B Bullets on my C5. They sounded exactly like what I wanted. (Of ocurse, with an X3 Cam, 225 Heads, and LG Pro Longtubes)
Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
Thanks for the videos definitely burbles! Do you have a photo of the exhaust modified? I'm not sure which part you removed. In looking at the c6 Z06 bullets, I see the little raised section that would be immediately over the differential. And then I see the big cans (the mufflers???) that connect to the y pipes then 4 tips.
Yes the big cans (mufflers) are what were removed and replaced with a section of pipe. We left the raised sections those are the resonators, sometimes referred to as bullet mufflers. I did take pics from under the car, i didnt have time to upload them today i will tomorrow tho.

Jp

Quick Reply: [Z06] B & B "Bullet" exhaust with them mufflers