Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Lifetime powertrain warranty, anyone heard of this?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:28 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Lifetime powertrain warranty, anyone heard of this?

I am looking at a 427 convertible at a Honda dealership in Dallas, and they offer a lifetime powertrain warranty on it. They said only two dealerships in the state offer this and it's a special program.

He said if I'm over 200 miles away from their dealership I could take it to any Chevy dealership in Houston for repair and they take care of anything with the powertrain. Is this too good to be true anyone have experience with this?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Read the small print. The devil is always in the details. Maybe some special circumstances like a drive train failure is only covered if it occurs during a Buffalo Stampede during a rain storm in Wyoming with no snow on Dec. 31st at 2:12 PM MST.

Bill
Old 10-20-2014, 07:34 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
I am looking at a 427 convertible at a Honda dealership in Dallas, and they offer a lifetime powertrain warranty on it. They said only two dealerships in the state offer this and it's a special program.

He said if I'm over 200 miles away from their dealership I could take it to any Chevy dealership in Houston for repair and they take care of anything with the powertrain. Is this too good to be true anyone have experience with this?
Old Saying.........."if it sounds to good to be true it usually is" Just like if a dynamite looking girl is paying attention to you and you know your above your head .....something's wrong

Clif
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

He said it's a special program that they're involved in it's like an additional insurance company, they examine the car's and then add the warranty to it.

I said does this cover everything including a dropped valve and he said yes. Needless to say I will read the contract before I would buy it.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

He said it's a special program that they're involved in it's like an additional insurance company, they examine the car's and then add the warranty to it.

I said does this cover everything including a dropped valve and he said yes. Needless to say I will read the contract before I would buy it.
Is the policy right around $18K

DH
Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

the Honda dealer could have no idea of what they are trying to insure, and may not have experience
with this insurance product (?) and Corvettes...
Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 AM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my Z from a dodge dealer that has this same warranty. Ii didn't get the car for the warranty, and didn't know I had it till I signed papers. I also was a skeptic and dug around a bit. The warranty is a promotional sales gimmick, the warranty is provided by a third party. Pretty much like you would buy independently. More than likely the cost of it is wrapped up in the vehicle price. I looked up and knew the name of the company at the time, but I doubt they will cover all my mods so I didn't bother to remember the name. If I remember the rep of the company was not all that great for covering claims. I didn't think it was any great shakes at the time...you probably shouldn't either.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Nothing but a marketing scam.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM
BOO666
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow the things i read about . Our dealership offers lifetime oil changes , inspections and engine warranty FOR NEW CARS ONLY . No charge , no scam . The only stip is all scheduled service is to be performed and maintained at our dealership or it is void . Seems all dealers pay for the mistakes others have made . Good luck
Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I really don't think it is a scam just a game of chance. GM still has there 5 year 100k warranty that is always first then this policy kicks in. I am sure their thought is after 5 years the car will be sold or is unlikely to have problems after 100k. He also said if the engine went 10 years from now they would assess the value of the car and give you the option to take a check or fix the car. The salesman I spoke with said they have had two cars that he knows of that they had to fix under this warranty.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I really don't think it is a scam just a game of chance. GM still has there 5 year 100k warranty that is always first then this policy kicks in. I am sure their thought is after 5 years the car will be sold or is unlikely to have problems after 100k. He also said if the engine went 10 years from now they would assess the value of the car and give you the option to take a check or fix the car. The salesman I spoke with said they have had two cars that he knows of that they had to fix under this warranty.
LOL and ever car I buy used seems to have been owned by a little old man who only drove it to church. Used car salesman are like politicians...they only lie when their lips move.

Find out the actual name of the company that provides the warranty, and see how they rate with the BBB. Like I said, it dug a little deeper and was not impressed. Sure wish I could remember what company it was. Do they cover mods done to the car???
Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 PM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Its probably a 3rd party warranty insurance. The kicker with these type insurance is always getting them to pay out. I've seen folks got burned and the company didnt do squat, or they honored the warranty but only paid for the part, not the labor. Coworker had an HVAC go out on his 300M and they paid for a $80 part but he footed the $550 labor to pull the whole dash out.
I would ask which company it is then do a google search on the company. I got a feeling you wont like what you'll see.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifetime powertrain warranty, anyone heard of this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Lifetime powertrain warranty, anyone heard of this?