Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Be careful out there - Don't be a dip$hit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Default Be careful out there - Don't be a dip$hit

Ok. I'm no stranger to HP cars. But today I let my youth gone past get the best of me. A beautiful cool day, clear skies, a two lane road with nobody on it except me.

I just pulled off from a stop light, and thought ah... what the hell. Already in second gear going about 45 MPH I tap the front brakes, ease into the throttle and a huge cloud of smoke arises behind me while I launch straight ahead for about 500 feet. That is until my *** end starts to get out from under me. I steer left and continue to move forward until, you guessed it, it kicks back the other direction and gets away from me. I ended up spinning out off the side of the road into a patch of dirt. I just couldn't get it back straight since I was going so fast. It almost felt like the throttle was stuck, but that's probably my imagination.

Nobody was hurt, car wasn't damaged, and no one was around so I just pulled back onto the road and headed to the car wash.

Moral of the story. As the temperatures start to drop, so does your traction. Be safe and don't be a dip$hit like me.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:24 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
Ok. I'm no stranger to HP cars. But today I let my youth gone past get the best of me. A beautiful cool day, clear skies, a two lane road with nobody on it except me.

I just pulled off from a stop light, and thought ah... what the hell. Already in second gear going about 45 MPH I tap the front brakes, ease into the throttle and a huge cloud of smoke arises behind me while I launch straight ahead for about 500 feet. That is until my *** end starts to get out from under me. I steer left and continue to move forward until, you guessed it, it kicks back the other direction and gets away from me. I ended up spinning out off the side of the road into a patch of dirt. I just couldn't get it back straight since I was going so fast. It almost felt like the throttle was stuck, but that's probably my imagination.

Nobody was hurt, car wasn't damaged, and no one was around so I just pulled back onto the road and headed to the car wash.

Moral of the story. As the temperatures start to drop, so does your traction. Be safe and don't be a dip$hit like me.
BINGO! Glad that you were not hurt, and that it ended well. BUT..............it sounds like you had turned OFF your stability control? I would never do that on the street
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Everyone gets a lucky break every now and then…..

Now straighten up and fly right mister!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:12 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
BUT..............it sounds like you had turned OFF your stability control? I would never do that on the street
No. Even I am smart enough to leave the nannies on. It was in competitive mode, but I was already doing 45+ when I got onto it and was easily moving 70+ when it spun out.

Originally Posted by AimHigh
Now straighten up and fly right mister!
Thanks, but most people won't get that. Rest assured, I have never endangered others or milions of dollars like some of my cohorts.

Last edited by erick_e; 10-25-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Very, very common and glad for you that all ended well.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:21 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Story, Same for me 4 months into owning my Z. Lost her at 70mpr dnsftn 5TH to 3RD to pass a truck and feel like im KING of the world just for a few seconds. Yea, right. IF not for the nannies i would have neen in a ditch at 50mph. Oh yea, it was the 1st time i had driven her in cold weather. And crappy Goodyears Glad to hear you came through unscathed..Good reminder with winter on the way
Old 10-25-2014, 08:14 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

That doesn't sound like 'easing' into the throttle to me. Glad nothing serious happened to you or the car. Gotta take it easy once temps get 50 or below.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:04 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Cold weather brings on another adversary besides "No Traction". It's called "More horse power". The two together can equal disaster

Most people tend to forget that, or don't know it at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Be careful out there - Don't be a dip$hit

Quick Reply: [Z06] Be careful out there - Don't be a dip$hit