Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A bit disappointed after first test drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 PM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000 is a joke and Porsches catch fire randomly. lol .... I'll stick to my 750hp Z
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

an s2k has an incredible shifter; good luck finding its equal anywhere. the closest i've experienced is that of an R8V10. that said, i like the shifter in my Z quite a bit. i wouldn't say it feels disconnected and it has a very good and direct linkage. it will never be as light a touch as that of an s2k shifter, but it's always worked great for me and i always know exactly where i am with it.

i have significant time an an s2k; great car, love the seats, interior layout, and shifter, but it felt uncomfortable at the limit and there is the obvious power, brakes, and turn advantages of the Z.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:11 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Haretakis
The C6 Z I drove frankly felt like ****. Car was loud as hell for stock, rattled like crazy and the car would periodically surge pretty wildly. The clutch, gearbox and motor all felt off. I concluded that it was a modified car that was partially put back to stock. I think the clutch was beat to hell and the car still had a cam in it unbeknownst to CarMax (maybe they knew). I immediately felt the strong desire to buy the M5. Luckily, my sanity prevailed and I found another Z at a local Chevy dealer. I'll keep this part short: the car was F-ing amazing! While I couldn't make a deal for the Z the dealer had, I will certainly be in my own Z in the very near future.
OP, I think this guy has your answer. If it felt that messed up, it probably was. Try to find a clean one and take it out. Only way to know for sure.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Try a different Z06 - it's entirely possible there was something amiss with the car you drove.

The Z06 is a unique car and is unmistakable to drive; I say that as someone coming from a C6 M6 base, a C6 Z06 and presently a 560 HP CTSV manual with better tires. the Z06 was easily the most visceral and brutal to drive of the three by a wide margin.

Fanboy comments aside, find another to drive and see if you have the same impression - and just make sure you're pushing the pedal on the right all the way down.

The car you drove does not resemble the one in my garage. Something is badly wrong with the one you drove.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
Jeremy Clarkson did this, and was rather giddy.......
Clarkson had it in fifth gear.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ATC399
No worries OP...plenty of other sports car on the market..Way too many Z06 on the road now any ways...Good luck
Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Undy
I post and no response. Sounds like a little trolling going on.
That's what I thought when I first read it.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

It may be that the Z you drove was a bum car. Out of whack in some way, (plugged cats or something). To drive a base and then a Z, the difference is quite alot.
The acceleration in my z is absolutely phenomenal. I do some road course tracking, so I'm not a newbie to the feel of a car with real hp

Took a friend for a ride and he said the acceleration was giving him tunnel vision. Later he admitted to being afraid by the car's power.

The acceleration of this car cannot in any way be compared to a boxter or cayman or even a 911

I find that the Z06 is smooth in shifting and other cars are not grinding but feeling the gears go in and out are abit lumpy

Last edited by rabrooks; 10-27-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The "Engine Momentum" problem that is talked about here is totally intentional. When backing out of the throttle at rpm the computer holds open the throttle a little to stop sudden rises in manifold vacuum that induces an increase oxides of nitrogen emissions. This started in the late 70's when the greenies were looking for anything and everything they could throw at the those horrible planet killers: You know, YOU.
Gary
Old 10-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
I post and no response. Sounds like a little trolling going on.
Yeah, this is not passing the initial sniff test, is it? Joins the forum yesterday and already is poking the bear. Kinda sad what passes for entertainment these days.

Z//
Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
an s2k has an incredible shifter; good luck finding its equal anywhere. the closest i've experienced is that of an R8V10. that said, i like the shifter in my Z quite a bit. i wouldn't say it feels disconnected and it has a very good and direct linkage. it will never be as light a touch as that of an s2k shifter, but it's always worked great for me and i always know exactly where i am with it.

i have significant time an an s2k; great car, love the seats, interior layout, and shifter, but it felt uncomfortable at the limit and there is the obvious power, brakes, and turn advantages of the Z.
The Porsche PDK transmission system is by FAR the most superior transmission of any car currently. In fact, it has won numerous awards to back that statement up (I don't even own a Porsche but have driven many of them).

To even compare that system (or the Z06 at all) to ANYTHING Honda makes is laughable, especially the S2000.

This whole thread is humorous to me, but I just come here to read the posts.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Rubn1out4GudLuk
Instructor

I've test driven a "disconnected feeling" 08 z06 with 40+k miles that drove like crap and I've driven a pristine bicentennial edition 2012 z06 with a touch over 5k miles that was one of the best z06's I've driven(aside from my 09, =P). Sounds like you drove a car thats been modded/tinkered with and put back to "stock" in a horrible attempt.

I also came from an s2000 which I tracked, then supercharged and tracked, put a smaller pulley on and tracked some more. Long story short, I wanted torque and got it with my 09 z06. I will agree the s2000 is a horribly slow car in the straights in n/a form. But it is very rewarding in the corners.

I would recommend test driving another z06 in better condition.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Toxicscream
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first Z I test drove was a dog under 5k rpms, I was not impressed. This Z was missing at idle and some vibration or rocking at the stop lights. But OMG at 5k rpms it was like I was in the millennium falcon and I jumped to light speed. I later found out, it had a huge cam in it. All stock except the cam. So I would imagine it was put back to look like stock and maybe not re-tuned. I am sure there are other cars out there like this.

Last edited by Toxicscream; 10-28-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure you how could put the Z06 and the S2000 in the same sentence, sounds like trolling to me

First Z06 I drove I knew it was the car for me. The test drive in Mexico allowed me to hit 160+ in seconds... what a rush that was
Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came to the Z06 from a European car background, but I'd read up and I knew what to expect.

My first test drive was in a bit of a rough car, and I had no idea how to make the most of the tall gearing and the relatively peaky power band.

Go back and try some more Z's, but keep an open mind about it. There's a reason these cars offer so much performance for so little money.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM
philpacs
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I love the Cayman and respect it's awesome balance, handling and refinement. It's like a scalpel compared to a hammer in experience. I remember feeling like the controls were very heavy going to a ZO6, like a lowered truck might feel. However, after getting used to it and the finesse it requires it's very rewarding. The car shrinks on the track and you really feel everything more but on the street it's hard to get a smooth stride going due to all the torque and tall gearing then having to stop every so often before the car gets in it's preferred operating range. The other cars will get more wound/rpm and more gears changed with more feel on the street.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 PM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyG
Well, either you were in an anomaly of a Z06 or, no disrespect, you don't know how to drive. I've owned an S2000 and driven some very high end exotic cars (Ferrari 458 Italia the most notable), and the C6 Z is, in my opinion, every bit as pleasurable to drive as any car I've ever piloted. It's definitely a more visceral experience than driving a base C6.

Maybe it's just not for you? Best of luck.
Yeah I've driven a 360 Modena and a 355 spider and I almost bought a 360, but I went with the my Z06. The 458 and 360 are entirely two different cars, I know, but I would have too agree with your statement.

Get notified of new replies

To A bit disappointed after first test drive...

Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default D-Bags Serg555 and

Originally Posted by serg555
I didn't come here to bash anything, just wanted to share my initial impressions from driving '08 Z06 and see if what I felt has any truth to it..
Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

He hasn't replied yet?? I smell :
Old 10-29-2014, 01:56 AM
serg555
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Haretakis
This is my first post, but I have had a similar experience so I thought I would chime in.

I am very near purchasing my next car, and the car I wanted to want was a C6 Z. I went to a Carmax that had 5 cars I have been thinking about. <...> The C6 Z I drove frankly felt like ****. Car was loud as hell for stock, rattled like crazy and the car would periodically surge pretty wildly. The clutch, gearbox and motor all felt off. I concluded that it was a modified car that was partially put back to stock. I think the clutch was beat to hell and the car still had a cam in it unbeknownst to CarMax (maybe they knew). I immediately felt the strong desire to buy the M5. Luckily, my sanity prevailed and I found another Z at a local Chevy dealer. I'll keep this part short: the car was F-ing amazing! While I couldn't make a deal for the Z the dealer had, I will certainly be in my own Z in the very near future.
Haha, maybe we are talking about the same car. I was also at carmax, silver one they currently have in socal with 24k miles by any chance?

It was foolish of me to mention honda in a same sentence as corvette probably, but just to clarify, I never said s2000 is faster than z06 as some of you heard, "good" and "fast" are not synonyms in my mind (and I didn't say z06 is worse than s2000, just that I liked s2000, that's all). I also drove a bunch of exotics so I know what is at the end of the spectrum in terms of speed and handling, and some of you will probably laugh again, but R8 is better (again, not faster) in my mind than most of them, kudos to a guy who mentioned it, we probably have same taste in cars

Some thought I said gearbox is hard to switch, I meant the opposite - it felt too easy to switch, which I didn't like.

Looks like engine momentum is really a thing, now that I know about it maybe it won't steal my attention and I can focus on good bits.

Anyway, I came with peace, didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Thanks for the comments. I will continue my quest, will try to find another car, see how it feels.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A bit disappointed after first test drive...