Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Why buy/keep a C6Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Why buy/keep a C6Z06

With the constant bombardment of valves issues posted in this section. Why purchase or hold on to a car with such a worthless power plant. If my Z drops a valve it would never leave the dealership (warranty) in my name...Yet owners keep their Zs and post about their "new heads" and how horrible the LS7 is in stock trim...Simple question why keep it..is it financial/emotional
Old 10-31-2014, 04:13 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Maybe not enough facebook drama..? Or drama at home..? Got to get the attention somewhere I suppose.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:17 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose for most owners, it is more feasible to pay for new valves than trading or buying something else.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:18 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure I've ever heard anyone call the LS7 a worthless powerplant.

Sure some have had some issues, but for me the peace of mind, plus the extra power gained from the new heads (cam, et al) makes my car an absolute blast to drive.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by LFZ
Maybe not enough facebook drama..? Or drama at home..? Got to get the attention somewhere I suppose.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ATC399
With the constant bombardment of valves issues posted in this section. Why purchase or hold on to a car with such a worthless power plant. If my Z drops a valve it would never leave the dealership (warranty) in my name...Yet owners keep their Zs and post about their "new heads" and how horrible the LS7 is in stock trim...Simple question why keep it..is it financial/emotional
This is a silly post/question.

Spend 2 or 3k to fix the heads/ and put solid 1 piece valves in it or 4 or 5k to replace with brodix or some other aftermarket heads. Not much money at all compared to the bigger picture. - you'd pay more in sales tax on a base 2014 z51 that doesn't perform or looks as good as a c6Zo6.

There are many reasons to keep it. Looks, Handling, Performance, Great AC, very comfortable, great gas mileage and it is a reliable/ low cost of ownership sports car compared with porsches and ferrari's most of which don't perform or handle as well.

Who knows if the C7 Zo6 will be any less problematic with its blown LT4. - It has hollow sodium filled valves - see this article
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ow-valves.html

I think many of these LS7's that have dropped valves while supposedly have been gingerly driven, were powershifted from 3rd to 2nd gear(when the driver meant to go to 4th) or some such driver error in which the engine did not let go at the time of gross user error/mechnical over-rev. But sometime later catastrophic engine failure happened. -- But just in case -- I will be having my wiggle test done about 6 months before my GMPP expires in June of 2017.

I am hanging on to my C6Z06 until the C8 Z-whatever - mid engine car comes along with 750+HP

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 10-31-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

Spend 2 or 3k to fix the heads/ and put solid 1 piece valves in it or 4 or 5k to replace with brodix or some other aftermarket heads. Not much money at all compared to the bigger picture. - you'd pay more in sales tax on a base 2014 z51 that doesn't perform or looks as good as a c6Zo6.

There are many reasons to keep it. Looks, Handling, Performance, Great AC, very comfortable, great gas mileage and it is a reliable/ low cost of ownership sports car compared with porsches and ferrari's most of which don't perform or handle as well.

Who knows if the C7 Zo6 will be any less problematic with its blown LT4. - It has hollow sodium filled valves - see this article

I think many of these LS7's that have dropped valves while supposedly have been gingerly driven, were powershifted from 3rd to 2nd gear(when the driver meant to go to 4th) or some such driver error in which the engine did not let go at the time of gross user error/mechnical over-rev. But sometime later catastrophic engine failure happened. -- But just in case -- I will be having my wiggle test done about 6 months before my GMPP expires in June of 2017.

I am hanging on to my C6Z06 until the C8 Z-whatever - mid engine car comes along with 750+HP
This
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I suppose for most owners, it is more feasible to pay for new valves than trading or buying something else.
Exactly. You don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Very simple response: Because it is a 427 Corvette with over 500 crank HP...'nuff said.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Because the factory short comings are easy to fix? Because the head issues can be resolved in a day with not much investment? Because it is a good chassis to build upon?

Short of 300k+cars, I don't think anything in stock trim would fit my wants, so I'll modify cars as I get them to meet my goals. My mustang had parts waiting for it before it was even built, and went from deal to garage to get mods installed with 11 miles. Doesn't mean the mustang is a POS either, just needed a few things I didn't like about it fixed.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:06 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

OK...
Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Because the factory short comings are easy to fix? Because the head issues can be resolved in a day with not much investment? Because it is a good chassis to build upon?

Short of 300k+cars, I don't think anything in stock trim would fit my wants, so I'll modify cars as I get them to meet my goals. My mustang had parts waiting for it before it was even built, and went from deal to garage to get mods installed with 11 miles. Doesn't mean the mustang is a POS either, just needed a few things I didn't like about it fixed.
I get your reasoning...you probably got a blower on your lawn mower..j/k
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

My Wife's car seems alright and performs really well for the $$. Motors seem like a bargain to me. I guess it's financial when I think about it. They are reasonably priced, fast and fun.

What else would you get?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Very simple response: Because it is a 427 Corvette with over 500 crank HP...'nuff said.
Hot Damn!!!!!! that was well said.. Just dropped A tear in my beer reading your Post..These Mother-Truckers are the baddest fastest ****** under 100k money can buy. 'nuff said.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I can tell you in three words. It's a Blast!!!! I am on my second engine and in the 6 years I have owned the car it has been one reward after another. The cars are just totally awesome. Maybe putt putters shouldn't have purchased the cars but the guys who take them to the track and run them like hell all day long day after day love them. The car pulls like hell in 3rd gear coming off a corner. It womps on GT3s, Ferrari's, BMWs, etc. It feels good to do that. I am concerned I may experience my 2nd dropped valve after 3 more years of beating on the new engine so I am looking to see if there is an issue with this one. If there is I will get it fixed and keep getting my fix.

Bill
Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

got my heads replaced under warranty. Car is a blast to drive, why would I not keep it.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

If it can be fixed for reasonable cost and made more reliable, why not keep it if one likes the car ? It's all about alternatives...

Get notified of new replies

To Why buy/keep a C6Z06

Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
got my heads replaced under warranty. Car is a blast to drive, why would I not keep it.
Please explain...typically this means GM replaced the heads with heads that have the same problem.

I don't think GM ever solved (admitted the problem) the issue.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 PM
smitty1966
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

34000 trouble free miles with an A&A charger pushing it to 630 RWHP.
The LS7 revs so fast it catches many off guard, maybe too many trips to the rev limiter is the problem?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
If it can be fixed for reasonable cost and made more reliable, why not keep it if one likes the car ? It's all about alternatives...
This.

If you like the rig, make it like you want it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why buy/keep a C6Z06