Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 100K+ Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
So is there something broken? What is WCCH gunna fix?

Be aware that Richard believes the stock valves are what cause the issues some have had with LS7 heads and yet guys like the OP have the ultimate proof that there isn't a damn thing wrong with the stock valves.

Cheers, Paul.
No, nothing is broken right now, but at 100k I figured the heads could use a refresh anyway and hopefully it will last another 100k. I think of it more as preventive maintenance, kind of like changing oil. You don't change oil only when something is broken, but to keep things fresh and prevent future problems. Besides, I have heard of quite a few stock valves that have failed but yet to hear of a failed valve in a WCCH fixed head. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that stock hollow valves are the problem but I also don't think solid valves are a bad thing and they could possibly hold up better in the case of worn guides.

Also, I don't necessarily agree that just because you hit 100k is ultimate proof that there isn't anything wrong with the stock valves. There have also been stock valves that have failed, so how is that ultimate proof?

Last edited by dmuellenberg; 11-06-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:27 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Not quite there yet but real close at 99,200+ miles and am the original owner (06 bought in March of 06). Engine is still completely stock but in a few weeks I am going to have the heads sent to WCCH for their 'fix'.
Originally Posted by ctsv510
It will be very interesting to see how your guides measure at that mileage. Please report back with your measurements.
I plan on having measurements taken, so I will post them when I get them.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
No, nothing is broken right now, but at 100k I figured the heads could use a refresh anyway and hopefully it will last another 100k. I think of it more as preventive maintenance, kind of like changing oil. You don't change oil only when something is broken, but to keep things fresh and prevent future problems. Besides, I have heard of quite a few stock valves that have failed but yet to hear of a failed valve in a WCCH fixed head. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that stock hollow valves are the problem but I also don't think solid valves are a bad thing and they could possibly hold up better in the case of worn guides.

Also, I don't necessarily agree that just because you hit 100k is ultimate proof that there isn't anything wrong with the stock valves. There have also been stock valves that have failed, so how is that ultimate proof?
Well given there hasn't been even ONE LS7 with solid SS valves get anywhere near 100,000 miles and there is proof that a solid SS valve in worn out guides will fail exactly the same as a stock valve, you might want to reconsider your criteria of assessment

Don't get me wrong here, there's nothing wrong with a solid SS valve as long as you have the right spring to control it and to the best of my knowledge Richard hasn't done any spintron testing to determine WHAT spring that would be. Of course as an alternative you could simply stay away from 7000 rpm but after 100,000 miles of NOT having to do so, it may take a little practice

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

there is proof that a solid SS valve in worn out guides will fail exactly the same as a stock valve....
For those of us that haven't read all the threads related to SS valves, what is the proof?

Richard may not have done spintron testing, but he has hundreds of his reworked LS7 heads running SS valves and his choice of springs. Many of these are seeing significant track use running to 7000 rpms several times a lap. I've got over 10,000 miles with many track days on mine. I have hit 7000 rpms probably several hundred times. I hoping for many more!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:22 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
For those of us that haven't read all the threads related to SS valves, what is the proof?

Richard may not have done spintron testing, but he has hundreds of his reworked LS7 heads running SS valves and his choice of springs. Many of these are seeing significant track use running to 7000 rpms several times a lap. I've got over 10,000 miles with many track days on mine. I have hit 7000 rpms probably several hundred times. I hoping for many more!
Madsen...the short story is, replaced stock valves with SS but didn't do the guides, failure arrived shortly thereafter, not much different than many of the stock valves which have been run in bad guides.

Boatloads of stock set-ups have gone WAY more than 10,000 miles with many track days and yet the forum 'gurus' along with Richard declare the stock set-up junk.

IF Richard's recommendation for a spring to control the heavier valve is based on something more than "This is what I've always used and it seems to work." it is certainly possible you have a spring that will continue to work well for you, otherwise, well hold your breath because something bad may be coming your way.

It's not rocket science, just call someone like PAC, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year doing Spintron testing and thus they can tell you exactly what spring will do the job and for how long. H*ll maybe Richard has even made such a call, but based on the combination he recommended that got tested a while back I have my doubts.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 11-07-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 AM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn ... pretty small club.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Beast5spdGTA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

118+K miles here.

2,000+ track miles. 160 MPH at Daytona two weeks ago at 117K miles (taking it easy). A lot of hard laps (around 2:30/lap) at Sebring @103K miles in March 2014. Heads were rebuilt with stock parts at 75K, turned over 99,999 bouncing of the 7200 RPM limiter in third gear.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Z006
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. I'm almost there.. Only about 94k miles more to go lol

I only have like 6k miles on my girl. (2006 Z06)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

8300 miles on my 06. I'll check back on this thread in about 25 years or so. I should have close to 100k miles by then.

Don't plan to sell it but there's always new toys coming out so you never know....

It's good to see that not all stock c6z's go KABOOM!

Last edited by Fabio-Z06; 11-14-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:32 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

63K unmodified 2008 --going strong--no oil useage--daily driver. solid
Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg

Don't waste your breath. I have gone around and round with some members who I just can't convince that a SS valve is stronger and will last longer especially in a hostile environment that a hollow OEM valve.

A couple of weeks back I started a thread which was closed down. I had great pictures of cracking OEM valves supplied by the person you are referencing. If you didn't see the pictures I will repost them for you.

DH
Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, let's fire bomb this thread with all of the same old **** from the same 4-5 guys that got the last 37 threads on this locked by arguing about the same stuff with the same logic as last year. And the year before that....

It would be easier to just post URLs in your sig! Lol.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:38 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Madsen...the short story is, replaced stock valves with SS but didn't do the guides, failure arrived shortly thereafter, not much different than many of the stock valves which have been run in bad guides.

Boatloads of stock set-ups have gone WAY more than 10,000 miles with many track days and yet the forum 'gurus' along with Richard declare the stock set-up junk.

IF Richard's recommendation for a spring to control the heavier valve is based on something more than "This is what I've always used and it seems to work." it is certainly possible you have a spring that will continue to work well for you, otherwise, well hold your breath because something bad may be coming your way.

It's not rocket science, just call someone like PAC, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year doing Spintron testing and thus they can tell you exactly what spring will do the job and for how long. H*ll maybe Richard has even made such a call, but based on the combination he recommended that got tested a while back I have my doubts.

Cheers, Paul.
Well by the looks of the results of the spintron testing with the stock valves and good springs the almighty Torquer cam, it didn't do too hot at 7000 rpm, and I'm willing to put money that WAY back when this cam came out it was not "Spintron" tested. If it was well then
Old 11-14-2014, 07:40 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

OOOPS..... did I just say that!?? YUP I did.....
Old 11-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Another decent thread shot to **** by the usual few.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:35 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Undy
Another decent thread shot to **** by the usual few.
Ya, I mean what a joke huh!??
Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

90k on my '08.

had the heads/cam/headers done at 39k. I'd say the reasoning for the upgrades were about 40% preventative, and 60% for the extra power.

Other than a wheel bearing going out around the 45k mark the car has been rock solid..

Get notified of new replies

To 100K+ Club

Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Yes, let's fire bomb this thread with all of the same old **** from the same 4-5 guys that got the last 37 threads on this locked by arguing about the same stuff with the same logic as last year. And the year before that....

It would be easier to just post URLs in your sig! Lol.
Seems that some don't mind listening to certain opinions but feel the need to trash some members when other opinions are offered

DH
Old 11-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Don't waste your breath. I have gone around and round with some members who I just can't convince that a SS valve is stronger and will last longer especially in a hostile environment that a hollow OEM valve.

A couple of weeks back I started a thread which was closed down. I had great pictures of cracking OEM valves supplied by the person you are referencing. If you didn't see the pictures I will repost them for you.

DH
Why in the world do you keep making the same ridiculous statement.

Who would want to put any valve , made of any material in a hostile environment?

You are implying that the hostile environment is the problem or do you not see that?

So, "eliminating the hostile environment" should be your mantra instead of "use a stronger valve"
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Why in the world do you keep making the same ridiculous statement.

Who would want to put any valve , made of any material in a hostile environment?

You are implying that the hostile environment is the problem or do you not see that?

So, "eliminating the hostile environment" should be your mantra instead of "use a stronger valve"

How does one eliminate the "hostile environment", and how are they sure that "hostile environment" truly is gone?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 100K+ Club