Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 100K+ Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:02 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
Another decent thread shot to **** by the usual few.
What's hilarious is that these same few are completely ignoring the FACT that the OP has 123,000+ miles on STOCK valves which in itself isn't that shocking or new. What is different is that these same valves were in the engine at 88,000 miles when he found his guides to be completely shot and yet even after being run in such a hostile environment the valves have gone an additional 35,000 miles without failure...so much for needing solid valves to survive in a "hostile environment"

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:20 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

How do you know the hostile environment is gone? Inspection and continued inspection.

The way to know its still there without inspection is to drop a valve like Madsen who was running SS valves in that hostile environment and the SS valve failed.

John_g_46 has 123,000 miles on the stock valves that came with the car. Case and point if the OEM valves are not in a hostile environment they wont fail.

The idea of using SS valves just in case you didn't fix the hostile environment is ridiculous. It has been proven that if you don't fix that hostile environment the SS valve will fail. Just like the OEM valve.

Since we are not seeing failure on heads that have addressed the machining issues with the guides while running SS valves or OEM valves it proves that the hostile environment has been mitigated. At least in the short term. It also proves that the use of SS valves in a stock or lightly modified engine useless and adds weight and potential problems down the road.

I think its strange how some professionals have not connected the dots on this yet.

Congrats to John BTW. Thats some high miles. Good to see people driving these cars.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:27 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Undy
102K with mine. I've had it new since 12/06. How many with over 100K are the original owners?

BTW... The best damn car I've ever owned, bar none!!!

EDIT: At 88k miles all guides were within spec, as measured by WCCH in 2012. At that time the heads were replaced with PRC265s.
Fantastic testimonial Undy! great thread, iv got 78000 more miles to go...
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
How do you know the hostile environment is gone? Inspection and continued inspection.

The way to know its still there without inspection is to drop a valve like Madsen who was running SS valves in that hostile environment and the SS valve failed.

John_g_46 has 123,000 miles on the stock valves that came with the car. Case and point if the OEM valves are not in a hostile environment they wont fail.

The idea of using SS valves just in case you didn't fix the hostile environment is ridiculous. It has been proven that if you don't fix that hostile environment the SS valve will fail. Just like the OEM valve.

Since we are not seeing failure on heads that have addressed the machining issues with the guides while running SS valves or OEM valves it proves that the hostile environment has been mitigated. At least in the short term. It also proves that the use of SS valves in a stock or lightly modified engine useless and adds weight and potential problems down the road.

I think its strange how some professionals have not connected the dots on this yet.

Congrats to John BTW. Thats some high miles. Good to see people driving these cars.
You do realise that when John found his REALLY bad guides at 88,000 miles he simply fixed the guides BUT continued to run the SAME valves for an additional 35,000 miles which got him to his current 123,000?

Not that I'm advocating running any valve in a hostile environment but it seems that at least John's stock valves could be run in such an environment (for how long we don't know) and still be used for at least another 35,000 miles after having done so. Is there even a single solid SS valved engine out there with 35,000 miles, never mind 123,000

Hmmmmm, so why is it that we all need to 'fix' our engines with those heavy-a$$ed valves

Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:43 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
You do realise that when John found his REALLY bad guides at 88,000 miles he simply fixed the guides BUT continued to run the SAME valves for an additional 35,000 miles which got him to his current 123,000?

Not that I'm advocating running any valve in a hostile environment but it seems that at least John's stock valves could be run in such an environment (for how long we don't know) and still be used for at least another 35,000 miles after having done so. Is there even a single solid SS valved engine out there with 35,000 miles, never mind 123,000

Hmmmmm, so why is it that we all need to 'fix' our engines with those heavy-a$$ed valves

Cheers, Paul.
So even in the hostile environment at 88K miles they hadn't failed and were cracking either? Interesting. Thanks for that info.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
How does one eliminate the "hostile environment", and how are they sure that "hostile environment" truly is gone?
I'll use one of your favored recommendations " speak to a head specialty shop..
Old 11-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Why in the world do you keep making the same ridiculous statement.

Who would want to put any valve , made of any material in a hostile environment?

You are implying that the hostile environment is the problem or do you not see that?

So, "eliminating the hostile environment" should be your mantra instead of "use a stronger valve"
I'm comfortable with my statement which was argued against recently.

DH
Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by starchedup
I only had like 30K before my LS7 issue.... I don't think there's any rime or reason. Unless maybe you can trace it down to the particular engineer who assemble the motor. The name plate will tell you....

In my case it was Kerry Rasmussen
the heads are preassembled so the builder on the name plate has nothing to do with the valve issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:15 AM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
What's hilarious is that these same few are completely ignoring the FACT that the OP has 123,000+ miles on STOCK valves which in itself isn't that shocking or new. What is different is that these same valves were in the engine at 88,000 miles when he found his guides to be completely shot and yet even after being run in such a hostile environment the valves have gone an additional 35,000 miles without failure...so much for needing solid valves to survive in a "hostile environment"

Cheers, Paul.
Installing the Yella Terras fixed the geometry problem...no longer "hostile environment".

Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by john_g_46
Installing the Yella Terras fixed the geometry problem...no longer "hostile environment".

So if I follow you correctly, as an alternative to installing different valves as part of your management effort, you just went with a roller rocker instead of the stock rocker?

Any concerns about increasing over the nose weight as a result?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 PM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
So if I follow you correctly, as an alternative to installing different valves as part of your management effort, you just went with a roller rocker instead of the stock rocker?

Any concerns about increasing over the nose weight as a result?
As long as you buy the set that is specifically designed for the stock springs, NO.

I rebuilt with original valves, silicon bronze guides and YT rollers.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 100K+ Club