Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C5 Z06 to C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Medrivfast
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Default C5 Z06 to C6 Z06

Currently I own a C5 Z06. I love this car. It's my first Vette and I've owned her for over 3 years. But, It's time to upgrade to the C6 Z06. I haven't driven a C6 Z06 yet. For those of you that moved on from a C5 Z06 to a C6 Z06. Are you happy with the difference? What years C6 Z06 should I look for or stay away from?
It's not going to be my daily. Just a fun car that I'll track 2 times a year.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I had my 2003 C5Z for a couple of years before I picked up a 2006 Z51 coupe thinking it would be comparable in performance to the Z. It wasn't. But I loved the newer creature comforts and the additional head room (I'm 6'4" and that roof bar behind my head in the fixed roof coupe was annoying). Drove the '06 for a couple of years and decided it was time to improve the performance. Drove it into Corvettes of Houston (now Corvette World) in December of '08 and saw a pristine '08 Z06 sitting there. Jokingly asked if I could drive it, and they tossed me the keys.

Five minutes in this thing was all it took. I lost my a$$ on the '06 but didn't care. 6 years and 26000 miles later, still loving every time I get behind the wheel.

You may want to do a few things to the C6Z before flogging it too much on the track, though. 2009+ have upgraded sump tanks (from the ZR1) to help with the oil starvation in earlier models. I added the Aviaid tank insert, LPE sump tank, Katech oil pump (superior scavenging), and Aviad oil pan baffle to my 2008, so no problems with the oiling system here.

C5Z is the best bang for the buck for the budget track rat. C6Z is a much bigger bang, but it will cost you a bit more to maintain. I suppose anything with this level of performance will require additional monitoring and maintaining, though. I've probably dropped an additional $30K into my car over the last 6 years (all forged internals was the latest payout).

Good luck. Just don't drive one until you're ready to sign the papers.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Medrivfast
Pro

What do you mean it will cost more to maintain on the C6 Z06? I'm already putting in consideration of getting the heads fixed.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Medrivfast
Pro

I don't plan on modding it much. Just intake and tune.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:28 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I had my 2003 C5Z for a couple of years before I picked up a 2006 Z51 coupe thinking it would be comparable in performance to the Z. It wasn't. But I loved the newer creature comforts and the additional head room (I'm 6'4" and that roof bar behind my head in the fixed roof coupe was annoying). Drove the '06 for a couple of years and decided it was time to improve the performance. Drove it into Corvettes of Houston (now Corvette World) in December of '08 and saw a pristine '08 Z06 sitting there. Jokingly asked if I could drive it, and they tossed me the keys.

Five minutes in this thing was all it took. I lost my a$$ on the '06 but didn't care. 6 years and 26000 miles later, still loving every time I get behind the wheel.

You may want to do a few things to the C6Z before flogging it too much on the track, though. 2009+ have upgraded sump tanks (from the ZR1) to help with the oil starvation in earlier models. I added the Aviaid tank insert, LPE sump tank, Katech oil pump (superior scavenging), and Aviad oil pan baffle to my 2008, so no problems with the oiling system here.

C5Z is the best bang for the buck for the budget track rat. C6Z is a much bigger bang, but it will cost you a bit more to maintain. I suppose anything with this level of performance will require additional monitoring and maintaining, though. I've probably dropped an additional $30K into my car over the last 6 years (all forged internals was the latest payout).

Good luck. Just don't drive one until you're ready to sign the papers.

How nice to read your post. you are Soooo right, i drove the Z i purchased for 5 min and never gave the keys back to the salesman. Holy crap batman!!!! This thing is a monster. Great review..
Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Medrivfast
What do you mean it will cost more to maintain on the C6 Z06? I'm already putting in consideration of getting the heads fixed.
Larger oil capacity, more expensive tires (my OEM tires only lasted 6K miles), worse gas mileage (when driving the way it was meant to be driven), more expensive brakes, higher cost for replacement and aftermarket parts, valve guide wear if you stay stock, needle bearing issues in earlier '07 and '06 models, etc., etc.

Originally Posted by DON T.
How nice to read your post. you are Soooo right, i drove the Z i purchased for 5 min and never gave the keys back to the salesman. Holy crap batman!!!! This thing is a monster. Great review..
Thanks.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-10-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Medrivfast
Pro

Originally Posted by EViL427
Larger oil capacity, more expensive tires (my OEM tires only lasted 6K miles), worse gas mileage (when driving the way it was meant to be driven), more expensive brakes, higher cost for replacement and aftermarket parts, valve guide wear if you stay stock, needle bearing issues in earlier '07 and '06 models, etc., etc.

Thanks.
I do my own oil change. Walmart sells Mobile 1 for cheap. I already expected higher price for tires and brakes. Not my daily driver so I don't care for gas mileage. I'm already expecting to get the valve guide issue fixed immediately.

What's with the needle bearing issue?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:34 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Medrivfast
I do my own oil change. Walmart sells Mobile 1 for cheap. I already expected higher price for tires and brakes. Not my daily driver so I don't care for gas mileage. I'm already expecting to get the valve guide issue fixed immediately.

What's with the needle bearing issue?
It used to be a topic stuck at the top of the forum, but since it only affected 2006 and early 2007 models, I suppose instances of failure became few and far between so they removed it. Basically the rocker trunnions had a tendency to spit needle bearings in some of the earliest LS7s. This is why a common upgrade is to use a Comp Cams trunnion upgrade kit (which I have heard have problems of their own) or convert to a solid bushing with the CHE rocker arms (what I have). Newer OEM rockers are also better built where this supposedly doesn't happen anymore.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-10-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:12 PM
aobrien14
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zero comparison. Owned a C6 Z06 since January and have tracked it twice - first time out it scared the "you know what" out of me. Harder acceleration, MUCH better braking and with Continental race slicks, cornering G's in the 1.5 range. Second and 3rd gears pull like there is no tomorrow. Outrageous performance for the $$. Yes, did the heads on mine.

Agree with other poster(s) - don't drive one unless you're ready to buy.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:25 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I had an 02 Silver Z06 I bought used with 3K miles on it and drove it from San Antonio Texas to Phoenix AZ. in 1 day. Currently have an 06 Z06. Loved the ride in the 02 better than the 06 Z06 but the fun factor in the 06 really out weighs anything I liked better in the 02. No regrets. Waiting for the new Z06 with an automatic. Have problems with my legs.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Track consumables are more expensive for the C6Z. With a C5Z you will lose a brake rotor about every 3 days. I don't know what NAPA Premium rotors go for now but when I had my C5Z they were running about $50 ea at the local NAPA store. Stock C6Z rotors will run about $100 shipped to your house. Brake pads are stupidly expensive with the stock calipers. That is probably because of the unusual design of the caliper. Pads are thinner as well so you pay more and get less wear. Most track guys say the first mod made should be to the brakes by replacing them with Stoptech or in my case with Wilwood.

C6Z will reach from 10 to 15 mph higher speeds at the end of long straights than the C5Z. So if you have been running at a track where you are hitting the C5Z rev limiter at 146 mph you can expect to see close to 160 with the C6Z. That is also one of the reasons the brakes cost more, they take more abuse since the two cars corner about the same.

Of course the head problem should be resolved before you go to the track. I lost the first engine in my car while at the Glen. Dropped a valve going down the front straight in 3rd gear at 6800 rpm.

I liked my C5Z. I really like my C6Z.

Bill
Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Medrivfast
Pro

I would definitely upgrade the brakes. Rotors and Pads.
My current C5 Z06 isn't stock. I'm about 60hp less then a stock C6 Z06. My first issue to take care of is the head issue
Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 PM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from a cammed and supercharged '02 Z06 to my current cam only '08 Z06 and theres a world of difference. Even though my '02 put down more power on the dyno, the '08 would pull it 9 times out of 10. Just a nice smooth power band that pulls for days! It's hard to believe how much of a difference pulling that extra 500rpm to 7k is. It was hard to get the power to stick to the ground in my C5. Once you get up into higher RPM's making more boost the tires would spin then bounce off the rev limiter. Not only that but it just felt squirly. My C6 stays planted and even if it does get a little lose and kick the rear sideways a touch, it maintains staying straight fairly well. Nothing out of hand like the C5 would. The C6 feels like it puts all the power down and keeps it down. In my opinion the C6 is the easier and more fun car to drive. Parts, repairs and maintenance are a little more yes, but worth it.

With a cam, a few bolt ons, and a good tune you will put down around 550rwhp and its a blast!

Ive already replaced my sodium-filled valves with solid stainless, replaced the valve guides, and had the rocker trunion upgrade done. Those are the few minor things unless you plan on making 800+ hp and then you might have to dig a little deeper into the engine. I love mine!

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Medrivfast
Pro

I only plan on doing intake and tune.
I don't care to get it in the high HP range.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sold my C5Z to get my C6Z. So happy I did. But now I want to sell C6Z and get C7Z .
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crAzy
Sold my C5Z to get my C6Z. So happy I did. But now I want to sell C6Z and get C7Z .
I am holding onto a "wait and see" approach when it comes to the C7Z. The fact that Katech's C7Z "Track Attack" package replaces the supercharged LT4 with an LS7 is very telling.

My 2008 is already running close to 650HP anyway, so no need for more power. The only thing that would get me into the C7Z is a change of heart where I'd get a convertible automatic. But then I think I'd miss rowing the gears and taking it to the drag strip (convertibles need a roll bar - why it doesn't come with one from the factory is baffling).
Old 11-11-2014, 12:46 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

All great comments and I totally agree with what Evil and Bill wrote. You get more car, but you pay more, nothing new there!!

Having gone from a modded C5z to a katech c6z I can say I miss 2 things about my c5.

First, not having tire pressure sensors to fart with at the track or drag strip was great. I really would just yank them off my car and program them out if I could.

Second, I don't know what my C5z weighed, but the initial turn in felt quicker and lighter with a little more feedback, more so than that of my C6z. My C6z scales at 3043 with -1.7 camber and R compound, so it obviously handles better on street and track, but my C5z steering just felt more "go kartish" if that makes sense. It could be in my head though, when I bought my C5z I came out of a 3500 lb Fbody, so who knows. I just remember liking the steering more in my C5. Anyway, get the C6z but try to keep your C5z. Sometimes youll find yourself missing the simplicity of it even if it is a lesser car in most aspects.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 to C6 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Z06 to C6 Z06