Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2009 Z06, stock, 7500 miles. Guide wear measurements

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:04 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Out of people I know and cars I've seen checked, 15 out of 16 have had out of spec guides, and I've personally witnessed 2 valves drop, and know of many others. So 1 or 3% seems like a HUGE stretch to me.
I had to read this a couple of times since it confused me. Saying something is a huge stretch (at least to me) means that it is an over exaggeration (stretch meaning to make something bigger/longer). But from the examples you pointed out, I'm assuming that you meant an underestimation.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JKLNHDE
Any details on what the history of this engine / car is? Is it a track car or have a lot of high rpm race time, etc or just a driver? Thanks
Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Yeah doubt it's the driver, easy to point fingers at others and say your's is fine because you drive it like an old woman.

Not saying you do JKLNHDE
I guess I take some offense to that. Just because I use mine as a daily driver doesn't mean I drive it like an old woman.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 PM
EWK
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heads Up

I am the lucky or unlucky owner of the 2009 Z06 who is represented in the report that Jason posted. I purchased the car in April with only 3,021 miles on it and in pristine condition. I have been following the valve guide wear issue since my purchase and the more I read, I decided to address the problem now rather than later and I contacted Jason at Katech. I happen to live about an hour drive from Katech Performance and made an appointment with Jason to discuss the valve guide issue in more detail and tour the Katech Performance facility. I was totally blown away with the overall size of the facility and the number of departments it contains. The other thing that sold me was that every area of the facility was organized and looked like a clean room. Also, being that the racing season was over for the year I was able to get the car into the shop right away and was very comfortable with the mechanic assigned to do the work. When I picked the car up after the work was completed, it was impossible to tell that the heads had been removed, reworked, and reassembled except for a noticeable decrease in the valve train noise level from the engine. This is a heads up for Jason, the mechanic that worked on my car and Katech Performance in general.

Last edited by EWK; 11-21-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I had to read this a couple of times since it confused me. Saying something is a huge stretch (at least to me) means that it is an over exaggeration (stretch meaning to make something bigger/longer). But from the examples you pointed out, I'm assuming that you meant an underestimation.
3% is way way way low. All the local shops see the same thing, it is very rare to find one in spec compared to out. I would say 3% in spec is more accurate than 3% out.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
I had the same simple logic when going with bronze guides years ago. I did my research and went with bronze guides after seeing the success rate at that time (still holding true yrs later). I figured, rather than trying to find a magic solution to potentially last like SOME of the OEM guides over 100k, Im fine with bronze WCCH if they last me a consistent 30-60k or whatever. I believe DirtyHowie had the highest mileage on his bronze guides when checked, and they passed the wiggle dance. Maybe in time these AH PM guides will prove the same success rate or better, and if they measure better after some miles people will begin using those. I would as well.
And a couple of my track buddies with almost the exact number of street miles and track hours failed the wiggle test on their OEM heads/motors.

DH
Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 AM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Readings like this make me wonder what exactly the tolerance was when they were new.

Originally Posted by Random84
Did the poor heat transfer properties of the sodium-filled intake valves contribute to their excessive "wear" relative to spec (and the exhaust)?

Looks like it's a supplier / manufacturer issue and the exhaust valves are just giving way after a metric ton of abuse... or, in other words, both OEM and solid valves would likely have no issue in a properly setup head?

Sodium has better thermal conductivity than either Titianium or Stainless steel. The sodium will wick heat away from the valve seat faster than a solid Ti or Stainless valve.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:38 AM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I would like to know exactly what they are doing to fix this one. It's because of this issue and GM's handling of it that I have completely written off the idea of purchasing a C7 Z. I'm not doing this again. I'll fix mine and keep it around hoping for the best, once I figure out exactly how to fix it as close as possible to the original design
You got it! GM can spew all the hype they like about the C7Z06. They did it with the C6Z06 too. Bottom line anybody that denies there is a problem and anybody that feels that GM would never screw owners like this on the C7 is a fool. Absolutely disgraceful...
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EWK
I am the lucky or unlucky owner of the 2009 Z06 who is represented in the report that Jason posted. I purchased the car in April with only 3,021 miles on it and in pristine condition. I have been following the valve guide wear issue since my purchase and the more I read, I decided to address the problem now rather than later and I contacted Jason at Katech. I happen to live about an hour drive from Katech Performance and made an appointment with Jason to discuss the valve guide issue in more detail and tour the Katech Performance facility. I was totally blown away with the overall size of the facility and the number of departments it contains. The other thing that sold me was that every area of the facility was organized and looked like a clean room. Also, being that the racing season was over for the year I was able to get the car into the shop right away and was very comfortable with the mechanic assigned to do the work. When I picked the car up after the work was completed, it was impossible to tell that the heads had been removed, reworked, and reassembled except for a noticeable decrease in the valve train noise level from the engine. This is a heads up for Jason, the mechanic that worked on my car and Katech Performance in general.
Good for you! I guess im glad i do not live an hour away from Katech, i would never be home Also the same when recieved my Z back, Clean and spotless everywhere.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 AM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Yeah doubt it's the driver, easy to point fingers at others and say your's is fine because you drive it like an old woman.

Not saying you do JKLNHDE
Please re-read my post - i said nothing about THE driver/owner of the car or attempted to imply it was the fault of THE cars driver. I was inquiring as to whether the car was essentially a high rpm track/race car or an easy going [daily] driver to get a feel for the engines history. Big difference in interpretation - I wasnt pointed any fingers you misunderstood.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Turbotank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Just because those were your readings at 21,000 miles doesn't mean his would have been the same as yours. You are assuming that every Z06 has guide wear at the same rate as you do, which is obviously not the case. The cause of the guide wear hasn't been determined yet and it is not happening in all Z06s. If that were the case then everyone over 50k probably would have dropped a valve by then. I've still got the stock heads on my Z06 with 99.5K miles on her and haven't dropped a valve yet.

And for those of you thinking I'm in denial that there is a problem, I've got an appointment next week to take it in and get the heads done. I figured at 100K they probably should be refreshed anyway.
Did you check yours? I had 69k on mine and the drivetrain was as quite as any LS engine i've had but my exhaust and intake valves were WAY out! One of my intake valves couldn't even be reused....
Old 11-22-2014, 02:28 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbotank
Did you check yours? I had 69k on mine and the drivetrain was as quite as any LS engine i've had but my exhaust and intake valves were WAY out! One of my intake valves couldn't even be reused....
I'm going to have them measured when they work on the heads. All I was pointing out was that not every Z06 has the same rate of guide wear as his. If that was the case, then there wouldn't be any 100k stock engines out there, which of course there are.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 PM
99SoCalFRC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

So what does Katech or any other vendor do different than GM? You can't change the geometry of the head, nor does anyone suggest a roller rocker is needed to prevent future issues.

So what about the aftermarket machining/ guides creates a belief that the heads are now better than OEM? I'm asking because I really don't know and I want someone to tell me. Does Katech or anyone else remeasure the guides after years of driving on their heads?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SoCalFRC
So what does Katech or any other vendor do different than GM? You can't change the geometry of the head, nor does anyone suggest a roller rocker is needed to prevent future issues.

So what about the aftermarket machining/ guides creates a belief that the heads are now better than OEM? I'm asking because I really don't know and I want someone to tell me. Does Katech or anyone else remeasure the guides after years of driving on their heads?
if you allow for the possibility that the heads were out of spec from ASSEMBLY, and that the reason we're seeing such sporadic "wear" mixed between both intake and exhaust guides even on the same engines (some cars have intakes way out, some have exhaust guides way out, some have both - with a wide range of mileage when owners open them up); you might understand that "The Fix" is nothing more than competent head machining and assembly so that the guides and valves are set up properly from the get-go.

Remember that these heads were sourced by suppliers and not assembled at Bowling Green; so the head geometry and tolerances are at the mercy of the subcontractor. These aftermarket shops all have valid approaches for various valve, guide and spring choices - but the unifying theme of success is getting back to basics: ensuring the valves and guides have proper clearances for lubrication and heat transfer.

if some of the guides were machined improperly from the get-go, it explains everything that we're currently seeing. IF it were just heat transfer and "bad valves" then we wouldn't see crazy Intake "wear" OR crazy exhaust valve "wear" on cars that are barely out of the break-in period.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 99SoCalFRC

We repaired the guide concentricity issue by installing new bronze guides and doing a valve job. Changing the rocker arms is not necessary.

We have had our customers bring back race engines for rebuild that have bronze guides and Ti/Mo valves installed. Guides were re-measured and found to be holding up very well.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmmm, so the problem can be traced to suppliers? Interesting. So it is a defect in the valve guide material (Powdered Metal)? Or is it a geometry issue?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mig233
Hmmmm, so the problem can be traced to suppliers? Interesting. So it is a defect in the valve guide material (Powdered Metal)? Or is it a geometry issue?
It's a machining issue traced to the supplier of LS7/LS9 heads, Linamar.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
It's a machining issue traced to the supplier of LS7/LS9 heads, Linamar.

Since most production level machining nowadays is performed on computer controlled machines that indicates there might be a maintenance issue with a machine or an issue with the control program for the machine/machines. They could conceivably have two programs one that is correct and one that is incorrect with the same P/N applied to each. Since not all heads have the problem it looks like there is some sort of QC problem with the machines or the control programming. GM said the problem was resolved on their end by doing a complete incoming inspection on heads delivered after Feb. 2011. It would be interesting to see how the results vary in heads that were delivered to GM after that time.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z06, stock, 7500 miles. Guide wear measurements

Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since most production level machining nowadays is performed on computer controlled machines that indicates there might be a maintenance issue with a machine or an issue with the control program for the machine/machines. They could conceivably have two programs one that is correct and one that is incorrect with the same P/N applied to each. Since not all heads have the problem it looks like there is some sort of QC problem with the machines or the control programming. GM said the problem was resolved on their end by doing a complete incoming inspection on heads delivered after Feb. 2011. It would be interesting to see how the results vary in heads that were delivered to GM after that time.

Bill
What exactly is the machining issue? Valve guide angle? Valve guide bore? Or something different?

I thought I read about some 2013s blowing up due to valves dropping. I'm not sure if any of the new Z28s have had issues yet.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:05 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
LS9 heads, yes. Bad. One with 5000 miles recently was just as bad as this one.

LSA heads, no. I believe they are done by the same supplier as the LS3 which are fine.
Finally. The real answer to this whole fiasco.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would bet money it isn't a programming issue. Automotive tools are all IQ/OQ/PQ'd typically. I would say if anything it is a PM, wear, tooling, etc issue. Tolerance stack up, CPK of the machining process, etc.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2009 Z06, stock, 7500 miles. Guide wear measurements