Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Upgrade to ZR1 or newer Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Lol
Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM
WTXcorvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree. I have an 08 Z06, and a good friend of mine has a 2010 ZR1. That car is flat out amazing! If it was in my budget, I'd definitely have the ZR1, but unfortunately it's not. But I do agree that you'd be better off upgrading your current Z than updating to the newer Z. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM
FoleyZR1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevem12
I have an 08Z now, I want to upgrade to something newer, should I buy an 09 ZR1 with no warrenty, or 11 Z06 with warrenty? Would love some thoughts on it.
I had an 08 Z06 and bought the 09 ZR1, and never looked back! I am ordering a 2015 Z06

Selling mine here through a shop in San Antonio.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cybergray.html
Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM
stevem12
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. I bought a 11 ZR1 today. Should get it by Tuesday!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Congrats! Excellent choice.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default talk to Thompson Racing

For the extra $$ you spend, you can put a $35K 850 to 900 RWHP engine in your Z06, which would absolutely destroy the ZR1 or new Z06. Thompson Racing builds the engines for the C6R (they replaced Katech) so they are righteous engine builders.

For that price you get the supercharged engine and the tranny upgrade. Too bad its not an 09 like mine, as you can't upgrade the launch control to the '10 and later for which there is a hack; and with the right contacts $1K extra in parts and a car firmware upgrade to make the 09 launch control think it's 10. That hack is found via search here on CF.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM
FoleyZR1
Cruising

Congrats, enjoy it...
Old 12-20-2014, 08:54 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats, post up some pics when you get her home
Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats!!!

You're in for a big treat!!!...
Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

congratulations was about to tell you never ever buy the ZR1 go for the Z06 ALL THE WAY!!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Not sure if my recent experience will help, but here goes.

I own three Corvettes - a bone stock 2006 Z06, a red 2007 with an LS7/A6 drivetrain that I drive almost exclusively at the drag strip (the one shown in my avatar) and a black 2007 also with an LS7/A6 drivetrain that sees an equal mix of street and strip.

I recently turned 50 and was considering renting an exotic for a few days but decided against it for several reasons - 1) I'd probably never be able to drive it fast enough on the street to truly enjoy it 2) I'd probably lose my deposit if the car comes back with so much as a new stone chip and 3) I've already got three very fast cars so how much fun would I truly have.

My CPA (who also happens to be a really good friend) bought a 2013 ZR1 this spring and after half-jokingly asking if I could borrow it for a few days he surprised me by saying yes.

The end result was somewhat bittersweet in that while I totally loved having the car for what ended up being 5 full days, I kinda wish that I only borrowed it for a few hours instead. The reason for that feeling - the car was FREAKING awesome to drive but now my Z06 actually feels kinda slow.

I've never been a fan of a supercharged cars but if I had the money I would buy even a 2009 ZR1 in a heartbeat. The transmission and clutch is amazingly smooth, the different transmission gearing makes the car noticeably more responsive even in 6th gear on the freeway and when you get on it hard it'll pin you back in the seat more than my Z06 has ever done.

My initial take was the only noticeable difference between the two cars would be the extra 128 HP since everything else was similar, but if you've never had a chance to drive a ZR1 you're really missing out.

If it was me in your position I'd definitely go for the ZR1 because while you would be gaining a warranty with the Z06, I think you'd get a lot more enjoyment putting that extra money towards something that'd be a ton more fun to drive.

Hope this helps.

Christopher
this is dead on, I have had 2 C6Z06'S and I loved both cars.
I finally got an 09 ZR1 that is modded so it is scary fast, but like mentioned above the transmission I am in love with, every gear is useful. The ratios are so close together and the supercharger whine is music to your ears.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:55 PM
stevem12
Advanced

Here it is. I'll post more pics when it arrives.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 PM
AZDANZ06
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Here it is. I'll post more pics when it arrives.
Beautiful, now if you ever want to sell those wheels let me know, they would look great on my Machine Silver Z06
Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Congratulations! Good looking ZR1
Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats on purchasing the king of the hill! Nice choice.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:58 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

C7 z06?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seen this posted in the C7Z section...
Decided to go ahead and trade ZR1 in on a Z06 tomorrow - Corvette Forum

Post #1 "Yesterday"
i have been on the fence for a couple of weeks about this , after all the " bad " performance related press the car has gotten , mostly here on this forum . Also i cant say that i am not dissapointed that i am clearly trading my car in on a slower car , but after reading positive review after positive review from literally everyone who has actually picked up their cars . I decided to go ahead with the trade .

As fond as i am of the Zr-1 i am tired of the C-6 in general after owning five of them , two z06 two z51 and one zr-1 . I think i have come to terms with the car not being as fast as originally expected and hope that it makes up for that lack of straight line performance , in every other possible way and of course theres always an aftermarket tune to think about . but a mid eleven second car is still pretty dam fast and fun to drive. I do feel like gm mislead us regarding this cars straight line performance and i am not happy about that .

one black /black z06 being picked up in the am

Post #49 "Today"
ok wanted to post quickly before my first impressions fade .

Spoiler alert . love the new car and no regrets with purchase as others have said would be the case . However i am not happy with everything .

ok first impression : i am coming out of a 2009 zr-1 and before that a 2013 911 twin turbo s .

the new Z actually reminded me a lot of the porsche , tighter , stiffer ( but not uncomfortable ) a little more cramped then the ZR a more upright seating postion ( cant recline as much as c6 ) . I have 2lz with base seats and they are not as soft as ZR seat which was a 3lz but they are much more comfortable then those in porsche and much more supportive then ZR . steeering is quicker and in my opinion too light in touring mode requires constant correction , but is weighted nicely in sport and track modes .

Stereo , nav etc.. miles ahead of old car .

putting it in seventh gear takes some effort and getting used to .

Rev mathching is great not sure its needed but its fun .

Orange peel ( rather not talk about this ) i will say its no worse then my sons new black bmw , but its not good .

i got my last licks in pretty good in the zr-1 just before hopping in this car and back on the highway .

The bad part : 650 h.p. and 650 torque ? seems very hard to believe car feels like its pulling a boat compared to zr-1 and mine was stock . Also i hate the sound of the exhaust , where the zr sounded like a formula car winding up this car has more of a rap rap rap type exhaust note and its not to my taste . Also seems to have a much higher ride height or maybe its just the gap in wheel wells . I didnt think i would be one of the guys lowering the car but i will tomorrow am .

i love the car , the looks , the feel the whole driving experience and i am glad i am out of the C6 it just feels like a classic car compared to a state of the art car .

I will say i am dissapointed even after being forewarned , in the performance and it has to be more then the weight . i have had 300lb. buddies in my zr and never noticed much difference whether somone was in car with me or not . car would always fight for traction in first and second , always . Would have to put heat into the tires just to try to get it to try to hook in second . Dont have those problems with this car so far , a little in first but second no problem all grip shouldnt 650lb of torque be even more of a handful then the zr if not actually faster ? and you definetly dont have the same sensation of speed not even close .

i love the car in general but feel we were all lied to . ZR-1 replacment for less money ?, Faster then ZR-1 around their track , more hp , more tq. Their quarter mile times for z06 were about the same as their times for zr-1 thats bs right there . somethings not right and the only option to maybe help voids the warranty ?. In this factory " race car " thats ******** !. its been pretty well proven that the car loses power quickly after just a few runs that alone is a major problem . The guys who were going to road race this car are screwed , arent they ?.

I think GM should have given buyer the choice of a 100k warranty then ecu as delivered or 50k warranty or even 36 k warranty full power unleashed . I know i would have chosen the shorter warranty for sure .

Maybe a class action suit will get their attention .

my apologies to the guys who love their cars , dont get me wrong i am with you but the performance is just not as advertised and had this car been what they said it was, it would have been happy days all over again like when i bought my first z06 almost exactly nine years ago today . the fact that this car has 145 more hp then that car and while probably a little quicker its definetly not by much not near by another 145 hp's worth .

no one else doesnt like the exhaust sound ?
Also a Stock C6Z with 35K miles already pulled a Stock C7Z with 600 miles by a 1 1/2 cars in another thread, 3 races from a roll.... Yikes....

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade to ZR1 or newer Z06

Old 12-21-2014, 08:47 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by txA&M08
The new Vipers are stunning. If you can't at least admit they are in the same league, you are the one that needs to put the pipe down.
Sorry I think they are ugly as ****. Their performance is good. I can admit that. But it is not an upgrade over a ZR1 regardless of how much I smoke.

Last edited by C6Z06C6; 12-21-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 PM
stevem12
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
Beautiful, now if you ever want to sell those wheels let me know, they would look great on my Machine Silver Z06
It's the wheels that sealed the deal for me. I agree - they look awesome!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

congrats, OP !

Quick Reply: [Z06] Upgrade to ZR1 or newer Z06