Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 front air dam removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Z06 front air dam removal

can i remove the 3 piece dam without any side effects since the c6 Z is a front breather?

i am tired of it scraping to hell everywhere i go
Old 12-29-2014, 03:13 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Even if it doesn't affect cooling, you will get a bunch more air underneath the car at speed. Probably see lower highway MPG and squirrelly handling.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:27 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

The air dam is actually pretty flexible and doesn't make much of a scraping noise, so I'm guessing it is more than likely the scraping noise is coming from the front splitter as that is a harder plastic. So I wouldn't remove the air dam.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Leave it in place because it helps with cooling the brakes and it creates a low pressure zone under the engine compartment which helps the air flow through the radiator and under the car.

Adding a ZR-1 front splitter also helps if you want more down force.

The graphic below is a comparison between a car with an air dam alone and an air dam with a splitter. Red is high pressure, blue is low. You can see how the splitter reaches out and chops off the bottom of the high pressure (red) bubble on the nose of the car. The high pressure also concentrates on top of the splitter which pushes it downward for downforce. The airdam alone creates a lot of low pressure under the car so adding the splitter doesn't add much more low pressure but it does move the low pressure forward which will put more pressure on the front wheels (but reduce pressure on the rear wheels).

CFD Pressure Plot Comparing Air Dam alone to Air Dam + Splitter

Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The main purpose of the air dam is to create high pressure under the nose of the car (lift) to push air into the brake cooling ducts.

If your not tracking the car, removing it won't hurt a thing.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i am talking about the 3 piece dam thats under the front bumper, not the lip spoiler
Old 12-29-2014, 08:00 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

GM calls the stock splitter a "Valance Panel" because doesn't do much of anything other than looks (item 20).

I still wouldn't remove the air dam unless you replace it with some sort of under tray to address the air turbulence issue that TRScobra pointed out.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
i am talking about the 3 piece dam thats under the front bumper, not the lip spoiler
Not sure why you would think anyone thinks you are talking about anything other than the air dam. I just mentioned that if you are hearing scraping noises that maybe it is coming from the front splitter and not from the air dam. The air dam is very flexible and doesn't really make any scraping noises like the front splitter does, so I'm not sure why you would be so concerned about the air dam.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 front air dam removal

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 front air dam removal